Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conway - not good enough

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Seeing the replays, the miss from the header he got up well against 2 players put got a nudge *not a foull, just body to body contact in the jump) in the air just as he was about to head it, which resulted in him heading off target. Nothing he could have done better except be 5 stone heavier.

However, I too would like to see Solly March being used, perhaps as an earlier sub for Conway. I don-t understand why he was used so much, to good effect, pre-season, and now just being left hovering almost getting first team minutes, nut never more than 2 minutes at the end. :shrug:

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I think Barnes was better out on the left, and think it would be a good move going forward.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I thought he was alright actually. Always offered himself as an outlet and was probably the only player we had who was trying to expose the gaps between their wing backs and centre backs. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty confident in saying every time he showed in those positions, he caused problems? Delivery from him was excellent, just on a couple of occasions the players didnt read it

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
can't agree with that really..fine first half...starved of the ball second half...if we are talking about past internationals is upson really doing the business or is he immune from criticism ...played one atrocious ball last night which nearly resulted in a goal

That ball from Upson was lazy and terrible play.

But it's not accurate to compare them both in terms of internationals etc as Conway is hoping to get back in the Scotland team and is only 28.

I just don't think he is showing enough at the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He was part of the cardiff side that won promotion from this league and in which he played his part so he has experience of getting out of this division.

His crosses have generally seemed quite dangerous and as good as we get from the other wingers we have had available to us this season.

He was part of the Cardiff side, but Craig Noone kept him out of the team. I don't think he is as good as Noone, and fans used to moan about him before we sold him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He was part of the cardiff side that won promotion from this league and in which he played his part so he has experience of getting out of this division.

His crosses have generally seemed quite dangerous and as good as we get from the other wingers we have had available to us this season.

He was part of the Cardiff side, but Craig Noone kept him out of the team. I don't think he is as good as Noone, and fans used to moan about him before we sold him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought he did OK and let's be clear, I'm not a fan.

But at the very least he should have been forcing a save with the first half header. Golden chance missed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's not a pacey winger, but more a tricky / strong winger. I Thought he did OK, but we didn't use him nearly enough. Put in some good balls, that Ulloa would have eaten up

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's a line of debate I just don't get - you don't cross to the crocked bloke sitting in the stands, you measure your delivery to the players actually on the pitch.

Exactly. It also annoys me when people say a cross was good but nobody in the middle. Players shouldn't be crossing to an empty penalty box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine he won't be sleeping much tonight re-living that missed header.

Why is it even the players we get in on loan are awful at finishing?
Yeah we should be getting a 30 goal a season man, in on loan.

I thought he was pretty decent to be honest, put a couple of cracking balls in. Worked very hard and combined reasonably well with Ward considering there little game time together.

That's the point I was going to make.

You could see, esp in the first half, Ward doing stuff but Conway wasn't on the same page.
Esp the dinks behind the full back, for Conway to run onto.

sure a few Usain Bolt wouldn't have reached but while they are working it out, I see no reason to write of Conway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly. It also annoys me when people say a cross was good but nobody in the middle. Players shouldn't be crossing to an empty penalty box.

Don't u think bozza was being totally tongue in cheek with that comment :)

...and he did whip some good balls into the box and offered variety to Buckley

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
No pace
Doesn't get in behind his man
Poor delivery

As a winger I don't see the point of him.
Surely we'd be better off this season bringing through young talent that we actually own. Rather than this guy.

And yes I heard he played well at Yeovil.... but so far I've seen nothing of the sort.

Very laboured and no left foot at all other than to stand on, somewhat of a problem for a guy playing on the left as so easy to defend against, quite baffling!:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's a line of debate I just don't get - you don't cross to the crocked bloke sitting in the stands, you measure your delivery to the players actually on the pitch.

I'm not sure really, what do you want him to do, beat his man, then wait 5 seconds, for the rest of the defenders to get back, and one of our players deciding to break into the box?

Surely the point of playing 2 wingers, is to provide that kind of quick ball into the box.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure really, what do you want him to do, beat his man, then wait 5 seconds, for the rest of the defenders to get back, and one of our players deciding to break into the box?

Well, yes, I would. Talking more generally than just Conway here, I do expect players at our level to play all passes, including crosses, to the players on the pitch and where they are going to be. I don't expect them to blindly play hit-and-hope efforts and occasionally get lucky.

If a winger breaks, beats his man and finds the rest of the team have not kept up he has a duty to retain possession until such time he can deliver a pass or head for goal himself. Hitting a cross to absolutely no-one, wasting an attacking opportunity and conceding possession is not where we're at any more.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, yes, I would. Talking more generally than just Conway here, I do expect players at our level to play all passes, including crosses, to the players on the pitch and where they are going to be. I don't expect them to blindly play hit-and-hope efforts and occasionally get lucky.

If a winger breaks, beats his man and finds the rest of the team have not kept up he has a duty to retain possession until such time he can deliver a pass or head for goal himself. Hitting a cross to absolutely no-one, wasting an attacking opportunity and conceding possession is not where we're at any more.

Indeed. And is one of the reasons I've not been as excited by KLL this season as others have. But in fairness to Conway (and KLL and wingers in general) there are times (including a couple of occasions last night) when we have several players in the box and they all ran to the near post, rather than looking at the cross, or mixing it up and taking a chance on it going longer. In those instances, when there are more teammates in the box, the accuracy can be loosened, and teammates should spread out more.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Totally agree. The aimless cross or smash it and hope type cross seem part and parcel of the English game at the moment at all levels.

I know we are discussing Conway, but that cross field ball from one wing to the other in the second half from Buckley to either Conway or Ward was superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here