Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Controversial opinions

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The pre match stuff needs a rethink, ring of fire prior to kickoff is shite.
Agree with this. Not quite sure why the club are being so crap about it. Presumably they think it matters and it is part of someone’s quite well paid job to get it right...

More fan input needed? Do they ever consult (anyone off here)?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Some folk seem happy swinging their scarves around to it.
Relatively few. Should be pulling the whole crowd together and ramp up the atmosphere.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I enjoy the company of several Palace supporting friends. There. Said it. It’s like a great weight has been lifted! :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dicking around with the ball at the back is NOT a sign of tactical genius
Not tactical genius just a very basic understanding of what is needed to win Premier League matches. Unless you have big and fast options up front (e.g. Sheff Utd at The Amex) and can create chances from long aerial balls forward.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Potter just doesn't convince me long term

Connolly is massively overrated. Not good enough for me.

Totally disagree about Potter but I’m kind of with you on Connolly.

Reluctant to criticise as he is so young but I’m not convinced. I’m not sure he’s ready for the premier league and could really do with a loan to the Championship. Obviously that’s difficult at the moment when we don’t have enough strikers already but I do think he needs it. Also, I’ve seen him described as having some pace, but he just looks a bit slow at times too.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I am a bit pissed at the club for replying to my email about buying tickets for the couple of games that I was over from Australia for, isn't possible because I don't have any priority points ( a little hard to accumulate from here.

All the support I gave the club through the dark times has apparently expired.

I can see on social media plenty of people who took the piss out of me for supporting Brighton in those days happily taking their kids along to games now. They wouldn't have stepped foot in the Goldstone, Priestfield or the Withdean and didn't spit on us when we were on fire (metaphorically speaking) back then.

I didn't expect anything else and I will get tickets for the games somehow through friends or family. It has just irritated me a bit.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Focus has been fully on new supporters for a long while.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Have you emailed Paul Barber, rather than 'the club'? He is quite good at respoding to situations like this, especially if you really lay it onwith the details of your history of support.
You'd certainly get a very lengthy response. Probably state that the rules are there for a reason and have to be followed, that those you've spoken to at there club are completely right but worth a try.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The Amex is never going to feel like a proper football ground until the North Stand is developed so it is double its present size. Right now it looks about as formidable and intimidating as Charles Hawtrey. All this 'never going to happen' business is related to increasing capacity. This isn't about capacity (although my suggestion would obviously achieve that). It is about converting a 'community' safe space into a proper football stadium.
Nothing controversial about that. It goes hand in hand with the club looking for new supporters and a new type of supporter. They don't want that old feel or atmosphere, they don't want intimidation.

It's not just Albion though, football generally has gone that way and certainly PL clubs.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
More fan input needed? Do they ever consult (anyone off here)?

Trouble with consultations is who you ask and what you ask. If they asked Joe Public "what would make the Amex more entertaining pre-match for families?" they'd get a different response to asking a season ticket holder of 10 years what they'd like to see before pre-match. So they probably have consulted someone about something at some time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Trouble with consultations is who you ask and what you ask. If they asked Joe Public "what would make the Amex more entertaining pre-match for families?" they'd get a different response to asking a season ticket holder of 10 years what they'd like to see before pre-match. So they probably have consulted someone about something at some time.
The few minutes of final ramp up should simply be about cranking up the atmosphere. No need to think about small kids or their grannies at that point. They had it mostly right for a time but it is very stale now and could be a lot better. Consultation should be to choose what mix of music options work best. I’d start with regular inclusion of something by The Jam! I’d also consult with NSK/Police Box mob and others in NS (simply identified by observing the vocal areas and small groups chanting during a match) to see if they would be up for getting NS organised to do their own singing pre-match with no tannoy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The "we make absolutely no apologies for treating our fans as customers" quote from Paul Barber is just... disrespectful and sort of a symbol for the uglyness of modern football. It also shows how deeply this Thatcherian attitude has rooted itself in English football. If he said the same thing in any other country (except the US), he would have been forced out of the club and possibly the city.

Dan Burn is the best defender at the club by some margin.

Potterball is pretty far from fully implemented and wont be until the squad is rebuilt. A lot of players are very questionable PL players and my respect for your old Chris Hughton has gradually increased.

Some players if not all looks way more comfortable playing away games and look very nervous at home, as if they were being watched by their dads and would get a stern yelling if they made mistakes.

We pretty desperately needs the forward type Potter used in his previous clubs: tall, strong, mobile and thriving in small spaces. His strategy of having that type of forward roaming to the wings to compete in duels with tiny wing backs and create nasty 2-1 situations. This was always a key to create uncomfortable movements in the opponents defense, creating space for midfielders and wingers to get into scoring positions. However, finding a player with those attributes at a PL level is very difficult.

There's about ten former ÖFK or Swansea players that I would like to see in Brighton and its a tad bit frustrating that Potter seemingly dont want to work with former players though I'm sure he got good reasons for it. Frustrating nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here