Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Contract extension to 2025 for Graham Potter

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After stepping up from the Championship Webster has played all of SEVEN games in the PL and looked very decent, yet you've already decided he's not good enough ?

Webster is exactly the type of Potter signing you're going to have to get used to. And I'm ok with that.

I am not saying he isnt good enough but I am not sure as he has cost us about 3 goals due to his inability to be able to defend which is the prime requirement of a defender. Perhaps given time he will improve, at least I hope so if he is the future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
6 month 'probabation' completed I reckon, plus perhaps some sniffing around as the half-season merry-go-round gets into full swing
It can't be both. Either it was in his contract that he'd get an extension if we had x points, or were in x position, or it's to stop interest from other clubs (which it won't), or neither. But not both.

I think a contractual extension after 6 months seems odd, as it doesn't show a lot of confidence in your new man.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I doubt there has been anyone 'sniffing around' - Potter has been manager of Brighton for 13 games and while things have gone reasonably well he hasn't proven anything yet.

Of the three teams where rumours exist about potential sackings - West Ham are 2 points behind Brighton - Everton are 1 point behind and Arsenal are 3 points ahead of Brighton.

Bloom is likely just trying to preempt things by the look of it (and it is likely brownie points for Potter's agent in pulling this off).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good news. Potter has made an impressive start. We're 12th, playing (mostly) entertaining football and Alzate and Connolly have finally made the move up that they needed to. Keeping the back room team together is important.

This is the start of "the project" rather than the end. By extending to 2025 we protect ourselves against advances from England after either the Euros or 2022 World Cup.

There have been some "interesting" tactical decisions and some things I just didn't see coming. Andone let go? Never would have put money on that. Dan Burn at left back? You WHAT? By and large, though, these have been overtaken by some masterstrokes. Going all out at a weak Watford side in the opener set the tone with our players and has seen Watford languish ever since. Norwich were brushed aside. We seemed to know exactly how to pick off a Spurs team we struggled massively against last season and, of course, getting Aaron Connolly to fall over on the day of the VAR Halloween Drinks Party was brilliant. Most of all [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] will be spitting nails and [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] might not fancy a comeback any time soon.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last time our manager hit targets we sacked him

Without raking over some very trodden ground, how do you know specifically what Hughton's targets were last season ? Please don't say "just staying up", because I doubt that one task would have been his sole remit. An important objective for sure, but Bloom tends to look a bit more long-term than that.

We plummeted alarmingly and eventually finished (well, just about scraped) 17th. We'd clearly gone backwards - I don't think THAT was a target. It didn't take a genius to see the downward trajectory we were on, so Bloom acted. And rightly so.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Without raking over some very trodden ground, how do you know specifically what Hughton's targets were last season ? Please don't say "just staying up", because I doubt that one task would have been his sole remit. An important objective for sure, but Bloom tends to look a bit more long-term than that.

We plummeted alarmingly and eventually finished (well, just about scraped) 17th. We'd clearly gone backwards - I don't think THAT was a target. It didn't take a genius to see the downward trajectory we were on, so Bloom acted. And rightly so.

As I said in the other post, I'm not entirely serious. But it would be odd if exactly the same position as last year was a target

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Where's Spence :moo:

Found him

big_trouble.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He can now afford a decent haircut

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's going to cost us a fortune to get shot of him now.

Doesn't work like that when terminating Contracts in football. That's a myth that keeps getting reported by Newspaper reporters who try to claim that they know loads about Contract Law when in reality they know very little about what they write.

Long Contracts rarely benefit anyone but the Club - Short contracts of two years or less are no good to the Manager in terms of planning for the future- By the same token. Really long Contacts only really Benefit the Club because that means they keep the Managers on the same wages for longer. They don't need to keep extending them at Higher annual wages if they are doing well.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In business all my life but in comparison will never understand football. Here for 5mins and following 2 of worst performances gets rewarded with new contract, Can only think Sheffield Utd manager will be asking for a 10 year contract.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It can't be both. Either it was in his contract that he'd get an extension if we had x points, or were in x position, or it's to stop interest from other clubs (which it won't), or neither. But not both.

I think a contractual extension after 6 months seems odd, as it doesn't show a lot of confidence in your new man.

We're all speculating so it doesn't really matter.............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In business all my life but in comparison will never understand football. Here for 5mins and following 2 of worst performances gets rewarded with new contract, Can only think Sheffield Utd manager will be asking for a 10 year contract.

I can only imagine Bloom doesn’t see the defeats against United and Leicester as being as catastrophic as some of our fans seem to find them and is looking at the bigger picture :shrug:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I am not completely sold on him but I am sure that when he has the players to play his system we will improve but I am worried that this could include buying more similar to Webster who I am also not sold on as I do not think that his defending is up to the level we need.

Yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in!

I think it shows even more confidence.

Doesn't work like that when term tinating Contracts in football. That's a myth that keeps getting reported by Newspaper reporters who try to claim that they know loads about Contract Law when in reality they know very little about what they write.

Long Contracts rarely benefit anyone but the Club - Short contracts of two years or less are no good to the Manager in terms of planning for the future- By the same token. Really long Contacts only really Benefit the Club because that means they keep the Managers on the same wages for longer. They don't need to keep extending them at Higher annual wages if they are doing well.
His post was in jest!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I said in the other post, I'm not entirely serious. But it would be odd if exactly the same position as last year was a target

The target won't just be the final position in the table though (important though that obviously is). I'm sure just as big a part of GP's remit is to integrate some of our U23's into the squad, to show that a clear path towards the 1st team is available to them, and not just in Cup games either. The impressive displays of Connolly and so far Alzate have gone some way to achieving that already. Hughton would never have trusted them to the extent Potter has, which is part of the reason he's no longer here.

I don't *think* we'll go down, and we may not greatly improve on 17th this season. Its still early days. But its been almost universally agreed both by BHA fans and beyond that what we are now seeing is a world away from the dreadful embarrassing dirge that was being served up last season. There's a real sense now of progress, and we're still only in its embryonic stage.

Nothing can ever be guaranteed of course. But what this contract extension suggests is that Potter is going to be backed in this project, he's going to be given every chance to mould this squad over the next few transfer windows, over the next few years. He's given Potter the tools, now we just have to trust that he can build something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The target won't just be the final position in the table though (important though that obviously is). I'm sure just as big a part of GP's remit is to integrate some of our U23's into the squad, to show that a clear path towards the 1st team is available to them, and not just in Cup games either. The impressive displays of Connolly and so far Alzate have gone some way to achieving that already. Hughton would never have trusted them to the extent Potter has, which is part of the reason he's no longer here.

I don't *think* we'll go down, and we may not greatly improve on 17th this season. Its still early days. But its been almost universally agreed both by BHA fans and beyond that what we are now seeing is a world away from the dreadful embarrassing dirge that was being served up last season. There's a real sense now of progress, and we're still only in its embryonic stage.

Nothing can ever be guaranteed of course. But what this contract extension suggests is that Potter is going to be backed in this project, he's going to be given every chance to mould this squad over the next few transfer windows, over the next few years. He's given Potter the tools, now we just have to trust that he can build something.

Amen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here