Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Constructive thoughts on the first match day experience

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
This is the type of thing that would be good to have, obviously to the scale of our concourses (St James Park, Newcastle).

View attachment 26572

I like that and its the correct way to do it as I've mentioned in a previous post, yesterday. The barriers at the food kiosk work so well, 1 to queue in and one to turn round into to exit from the counter all along the length of the kiosk (too many people who having seen 3 long queues with gaps in between felt they could just stroll up to the counter ignoring the queues, got a little feisty when it happened). These kiosks can then sell drinks but only with the purchase of food.

My other suggestion was to have separate bars for drinks only, beer/soft drinks and tea/coffee. I found it quite surprising how many were creating these queues wanting half a dozen cups of tea/coffee then shouting back to their friends/family, do you want milk, do you want sugar, how many sugars was that etc.

Shaz

Jul 18, 2011
Top of the World
Hi
we are in the West Lower Row M 13 rows up and this got slightly wet and the rows in front were really wet. If its heavy rain and windy i expect to get wet. I presume if your the 5th row you WILL DEFF need wet weather stuff.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
In reply to an earlier query I have been advised that there is a legal requirement to provide free drinking water i.e. drinking fountains

The lack of anywhere to put food and drinks- other than a tiny shelf- on the concourses puts you off using the facilities there

For those in the East Stand, what the hell were those plaster of paris type square things on the wall that looked like a group of kids had poked their fingers into? Bizzare! To the club, It's a fantastic ground, but please don't deny the east stand facilities that the west gets, i.e. simple things like shelves/tables and a bit of colour/pictures on the concourse walls. Ta.

I think they're imprints from the pitch at Withdean, made by some local school children. Richard Hebberd mentioned this on a tour I went on last week so believe it, or not, as you want.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In reply to an earlier query I have been advised that there is a legal requirement to provide free drinking water i.e. drinking fountains

The lack of anywhere to put food and drinks- other than a tiny shelf- on the concourses puts you off using the facilities there

Pubs , clubs , bars and restaurants where alcohol is served have to provide free drinking (tap) water as legislation was amended in April 2010 in a bid to lessen binge drinking.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If the club want people to stay behind after the game to have a drink then:

Have people serving who know what they are doing/ Have more staff. (I agree that smart cards will speed things up, but actuallt paying for food was the quick part.)

Have somewhere to put drinks/food in the concourses, as in the East Stand there were people sitting on the floor - need shelves (suggest at least two heights) along the back wall, and something round all the pillars

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Sort a system out at the train station so those travelling to seaford/newhaven can reach their train without others waiting for an eastbourne bound train blocking up the platform. i.e. 2 queues.

Have some proper pumps to pour harveys as this is what took a lot of time and pre-pour fosters/kroney

more signage outside the stadium particularly to show where the turnstile is, I walked straight past it.

have the refeshment area open after the game selling stuff. more mobile staff selling bottled beer or albion merchandise.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
My view on the new stadium.

The stadium is going to be the envy of many other clubs, the seating and leg room is perfect, my kneecaps attest to this having them crunched every time the guy in front of me lent back at the Withdean.

The pitch looks fabulous and the groundsman has produced a surface that, although relatively new stood up well considering the downpour that it had received. No Wembley pitch here!!

Screens fantastic, when do I get my remote?

Not bothered about a clock, I own a watch and a mobile

Pies 5 stars

Now not the so favourable points,
I felt that leaving the customers out in the pouring rain until nearly 1.30 was disgraceful, even if the bars were not ready to open the doors should have been opened to allow shelter from the elements within the concourse.
The bars suffer from the usual British disease, that you queue and wait, apart from the fact it is very frustrating for customers waiting to purchase, all the time people are waiting they are not spending which reflects on club profits. I thought the most efficient service I have ever received was at the Carnival in Rio, we arrived a 8pm in our grandstand which was packed with thousands of people, and I said to my wife that there was no way I was going to the only pokey looking bar as I would miss too much. However after an hour and a half the thirsties took over. I entered with some trepidation expecting at least a half hour but I was amazed at the efficiency. The bar was in a horse shoe shape, when you entered your order was taken and a ticket given, I then moved to the next point who took my ticket and my payment and gave a receipt. I then moved on to the final stage where I handed my receipt in for drinks and food already on the counter for me. The whole process took less than 10 minutes, and they must have made a mint. We had plenty more the night and left at 6.30 am, well oiled and fed, missing the last procession, which was still too come!

I thought it a ripoff when Albion staff turned up with small bottles of Fosters and tried to sell them a £3.50

More colour needed in the concourse to give some atmosphere

Sort a system out at the train station so those travelling to seaford/newhaven can reach their train without others waiting for an eastbourne bound train blocking up the platform. i.e. 2 queues.
On Saturday, passengers wanting Eastbourne post-match were advised (on the incoming train to Falmer) to get the first train to Lewes and then change.

The reason? There was only one train an hour from Falmer to Eastbourne, but four trains an hour from Lewes to Eastbourne.

Seems sensible to me.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I was in the away end on Saturday, not a complaint but I would say that if the club are serious about away fans staying for an after-match beer etc they need to advertise the fact the bars will open. Not sure any Boro fans realised on Saturday, they left as a trolley of fresh pies was delivered to the bars and for the first time beers had been pre-poured. I'd have thought signs in the bars at a minimum on the day but even better would be mentions in away teams programmes, press releases to their local papers and posts on their fan sites. The post match idea is innovative but as fans we're not used to being welcome around a ground once the final whistle has gone. I'd hate to see this idea fail due to people just not being aware.

Wait until you get some pwoppa away fans. Boro left early because they probably thought the opening ceremony included a ritual mass b*ggering of the losers.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
On Saturday, passengers wanting Eastbourne post-match were advised (on the incoming train to Falmer) to get the first train to Lewes and then change.

The reason? There was only one train an hour from Falmer to Eastbourne, but four trains an hour from Lewes to Eastbourne.

Seems sensible to me.

Yes and how many away fans will come from East of Falmer in the league? Not many.

Shame though that it discourages an alternative route back to London by avoiding Brighton station, that might be a problem on big match days (Palace, Millwall, West Ham etc.)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
That sounds good news. What about the length of the platform ? Can they put 8 carriages on all the Saturday trains (I appreciate easier said than done).

Yes on Saturday we got an 8 carraige fast train back to Brighton, went into platform 7, so I imagine they run 3-4 fast back and forth from BRIGHTON-FALMER-LEWES for an hour or so either side of the game. Station well managed as well with staff counting fans onto the platforms and boards showing times and destinations.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Isn't the problem with the access to the junction at Lewes???

This was the problem that dared not speak its name at the public enquiry.

Oh well, just have to wait behind and have another beer!!!

I would be really interested in knowing what is finished and what isn't.

Naturally I had a gripe with the service time at the kiosks. This has been well reported and hopefully the correct action will be taken.

But, as for somewhere to eat and drink said purchases! Well, there is nowhere. Now is this just because the stadium is not finished (in which case there is little point feeding back on it) or if it is, then we jolly well need it changing!

Also, about a year ago I seemed to remember that our stadium would have no bare concrete walls and would be finished to a very high standard. This is not the case.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would be really interested in knowing what is finished and what isn't.

Naturally I had a gripe with the service time at the kiosks. This has been well reported and hopefully the correct action will be taken.

But, as for somewhere to eat and drink said purchases! Well, there is nowhere. Now is this just because the stadium is not finished (in which case there is little point feeding back on it) or if it is, then we jolly well need it changing!

Also, about a year ago I seemed to remember that our stadium would have no bare concrete walls and would be finished to a very high standard. This is not the case.
I was led to believe that the concourses weren't finished, hopefully that's right. 'Shelf space' is a very good point. If you've bought a pie and a pint (which you're encouraged to do by the meal deal prices) then as the pie comes in a box it is physically impossible to eat the pie as you need both hands to get it out of the box. Ergo you need somewhere to put the pint whilst you get to your pie.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I was led to believe that the concourses weren't finished, hopefully that's right. 'Shelf space' is a very good point. If you've bought a pie and a pint (which you're encouraged to do by the meal deal prices) then as the pie comes in a box it is physically impossible to eat the pie as you need both hands to get it out of the box. Ergo you need somewhere to put the pint whilst you get to your pie.

Perhaps we'll be getting something like this, but for pints and pies.

plate-clips-action.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here