Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Constructive thoughts on the first match day experience

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Getting there: Stumbled across the Football Special from Shoreham - bit of a convoluted route and New England Hill is a bad idea. One of the worst bottlenecks in town. On the way back, was one of only three people on it. Brilliant service! No point taking the bus route so straight over the bypass and dropped at my front door - not sure it'll always be that personalised :lolol:

Getting in: Was v. concerned when saw the long queue in the pouring rain to collect tickets but it moved fast. Top work in the ticket office. Shouldn't be that bad in future when we have smartcards. Could do with a couple more signs on the concourse so people who haven't been before can find their turnstile easily.

Buying a beer/food: Slow - although it wasn't all open. Staff were pulling pints as well as taking money which takes an age. Quality of the food and drink excellent for a football ground. Having a half-time pee and then queuing for a coffee meant I missed the first 10/15 mins of the 2nd half which I think would be seriously unacceptable for a proper match. Little things need tweaking, like staff asking about sugar and getting it for you.... far too slow. Just have it on the side.

Atmosphere: well, not too much obviously but there is a very serious echo around that roof. Not great for the PA but suggests it will be excellent for crowd noise when the place is buzzing.

Big screens: Very smart but really, really need a clock. And, given that all the cameras were in place and being used, the lack of replays after chances seems like a missed opportunity. That's one of the key reasons for having screens, surely? Using them for close-ups of Bloom and Knight was excellent.

Overall: It's going to be bloody brilliant once the teething problems are ironed out.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Caught the Football special at Rottingdean. I had the pleasure of being the only person on the bus the whole way. Couldn't believe it. A few people coming back but amazed how easy the whole trip was.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm sure the queweing problems will fade as we use smart cards for food/drinks and more refreshment bars will be open.

The lack of a clock was a common comment also the scree seems wasted if it's not going to follow the action, as happens at other clubs.

Stewards will also hopefully learn not to stand in the way at exits. half time in WSU and it was single file because a rather large steward parked themselves in the gangway.

Glad i went, useful taster.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Positives:

* Park and ride from racecourse, excellent
* Seats, very comfortable indeed
* View, superb
* Food and drink packages, very good
* Pies, first class (held together well and lived up to expectations)
* Entry system first class

Negatives

* Speed of food and drink service
* Shop absolutely heaving (to be expected)
* Not enough action of what was going on shown on the big screen

Good first attempt by the club, well done to all.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Going to add my own thoughts later or tomorrow, probably on this topic as there seems to be opening day threads scattered all over the place. Time for a beer... only half hour since I got back to London!

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
P&R from Mill Road to the ground went well, considering a new company was doing it, going back not to bad except the driver drove past the stops. I think he was waiting for a bell? Food service a bit slow, big screens could be used better, toilets not a problem no queues at half time for a change. One small problem was that the front row of the north stand had a couple of inches of water in places. Oh and the P&R going back, i was back at my car quicker than at withers.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Buses seemed to be well organised.

Not too sure about the PA today, almost blasted out of our seats! I know we have 'professionals' doing it now but I missed the local feel of Attilla/Samrah and their passion for Albion. music was a bit bland and no chat inbetween.

Also, teams did not come out to GOSBTS and Fat Boy's Right Here, Right now, was a tinkered version and not so good.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not too sure about the PA today, almost blasted out of our seats! I know we have 'professionals' doing it now but I missed the local feel of Attilla/Samrah and their passion for Albion. music was a bit bland and no chat inbetween.

Also, teams did not come out to GOSBTS and Fat Boy's Right Here, Right now, was a tinkered version and not so good.

I liked it without too much chat. I think that will be different for the Albion games though anyway as the club advertised for a 'Presenter'. There'll be much more in the way of build-up on the big screens.

Agree about 'Right Here Right Now'.. didn't like that version much, all the jabbering at the start of it was pretty much incomprehensible in the North Stand. Good tune once it gets going.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Is 'The Screamer' still doing the PA this season, or has it been delegated to a professional ?

It seems Paul Samrah will be making the more official announcements (subs, that sort of thing) but there'll be someone else talking around the music etc

Positives:

* Transport was good (although people arrived in plenty of time and many people were hanging around at the end, which may not happen over time and certainly not evening games.
* Seat comfy
* WSL View is awesome
* Food & Drink not excessivly expensive and deals work out even better
* The steak pie was very tasty and actually had a lot of meat in and a tasty pastry
* Smartcard worked a treat
* Concourse was superb (although I went in the North and East and these were a bit more rough around the edges than the WSL - East actually looked unfinished).
* Screens are very clear
* PA system was rocking...Unlike Withdean I could actually hear music!
* Programme was excellent. Massive - Bigger than the last Withdean one
* Its ours
* We won another trophy

Negatives

* Food service was very slow. (although I got served quick others in front seemed to be taking an age).
* No clock anywhere
* West stand a little quiet (hopefully beter when a game we care more about is on).
* Hard to find your heritige stone
* Under my seat was very dusty and could do with watering down

Overall a great day out yes a few expected niggles, but thats why we're having a ramp-up. Well done everyone involved!

The hourly train service from Glynde arrived VERY, VERY full at 12:28 (about 5 minutes late - probably because of passengers struggling to get on a very full train at earlier stops like Polegate and Berwick). There was no room for anyone to board at Lewes - but the helpful driver made an announcement suggesting that anyone who didn't like the overcrowding might care to change to an alternative train from Lewes that was already waiting and empty. Generally very helpful railway staff. Passengers were advised on the way into Falmer than the return service direct from Falmer to Eastbourne and Hastings would be just one train an hour, and everyone was best advised to catch the first train to Lewes, where they could connect with four trains an hour to Eastbourne and Hastings.

I guess the overcrowding was partly explained by the opposition being who they were. The conductor announced his wishes for everyone to have a good time and Eastbourne Borough to have the best of luck.

The return journey was crowded from Falmer - but not overcrowded like the journey in - and it arrived in Lewes in plenty of time to make the connection with the 1809 train to Glynde, Eastbourne and Hastings - although I opted to get off at Lewes and visit the Gardeners Arms.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
arrived at 1.30....Ticket office excellent as per queens road,agree with all the positives in this thread,
but slow food service meant we bought extra pint each..then we discovered there were no shelves in the concourse.
. ie . nowhere to put your pie/burger/pint, except for one 2m worktop where the betting terminal was supposed to be ,
is this an oversight ?
or perhaps they are just running a bit behind schedule ?(thought building work was supposed to be finished)
is there anywhere to put your food and drink in the North / west and south concourses ?

..then we discovered there were no shelves in the concourse.
. ie . nowhere to put your pie/burger/pint, except for one 2m worktop where the betting terminal was supposed to be ,
is this an oversight ?
or perhaps they are just running a bit behind schedule ?(thought building work was supposed to be finished)
is there anywhere to put your food and drink in the North / west and south concourses ?
In the North Stand ... yes. But at the end of the concourse where the CLOSED refreshment kiosk was located.

I agree ... more are needed. I very nearly suggested this to Martin Perry on Wednesday evening, but the conversation was interrupted by a 1901-er who wanted to know about wifi in the West Stand.

In the North Stand ... yes. But at the end of the concourse where the CLOSED refreshment kiosk was located.

I agree ... more are needed. I very nearly suggested this to Martin Perry on Wednesday evening, but the conversation was interrupted by a 1901-er who wanted to know about wifi in the West Stand.

WSL has quite a lot all along the back wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here