Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Constance Marten and Mark Gordon arrested in Brighton

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Thing is, there are tents all over the city now with homeless people in them. It's a fairly common sight down Victoria Gardens FFS, never mind in Stanmer Park. I hope they find the baby, poor blameless mite.
There aren't actually that many tents in Stanmer or the golf course/wild park area. There was one in the Great Wood in Stanmer at the beginning of last week & there was one by the golf course last week. It's rare in winter & you get to know the 'locals' which I knew of one a few years ago but he moved on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There have been subtle appeals...
“My plea to the members of the public here in Brighton and crossing over towards Newhaven is please be vigilant in the open land where you are, in the outbuildings that you may have on your own property, and assist us in that way by being vigilant.”
They'd usually say something along the lines of.... 'stay away from the area, bugger off & let us do our job'. Hence my decision to walk my dog in the usual place whilst being far more vigilant than usual, whilst also crapping myself that I may come across something horrific.
Yeah, we did the same. We always walk up the path by the Roedale allotments (west side) up to the golf club road, and then walk back down Hollingbury Park. Saw loads of police searching the allotments and the piece of wood leading down to Hollingbury Rise. Loads of journalists as well.

We did debate not going, or perhaps just sticking to the top path by the tennis courts, but then my wife saw the 'be vigilant' post and we thought, well we'll carry on as usual and if we see anything ...

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yeah, we did the same. We always walk up the path by the Roedale allotments (west side) up to the golf club road, and then walk back down Hollingbury Park. Saw loads of police searching the allotments and the piece of wood leading down to Hollingbury Rise. Loads of journalists as well.

We did debate not going, or perhaps just sticking to the top path by the tennis courts, but then my wife saw the 'be vigilant' post and we thought, well we'll carry on as usual and if we see anything ...
I go on the other side of the golf course & allotments. A sort of triangulation between Lynchet Close car park, back of Moulscoombe station, through the woods at the top of Wild Park by the dew pond, then back to Lynchet via various routes in those directions. Saw the journalists & ITV van at the bottom of Brentwood Road. It appears that the arrrested couple haven't even told the police the baby's gender when I watched the press conference earlier.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was superb. My favourite episode was in Essex..I think. There was some criminal being chased on the ground and by chopper at night. He eventually hid in a wheely-bin but the helicopter with it's heat-seeking thingy saw this and alerted the police to the bin. Then the cry of 'send in the dogs' , dog is released and scampers all over the bin, which topples over and a chav falls out. :lolol:
I remember that.

Donut for brains giving out lots of heat.

Another one …. a narrow gap behind a shed, the colossal German Shepherd with vice like jaws had the time of its like. With a tennis ball reward for tearing someone’s trousers and leg to pieces.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I'm possibly being incredibly dense, or I may have missed it amongst the noise - but why were they on the run?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm possibly being incredibly dense, or I may have missed it amongst the noise - but why were they on the run?
I don't think anyone knows. Police started investigating their whereabouts after their car was found burning by the side of the motorway near Bolton and someone noticed that they had a baby with them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that the lady was classed as " vulnerable " and her boyfriend a convicted sex offender. The child ergo, was classed as " vulnerable " even before birth and probably would have been taken in to care after birth immediately. That's why they ran.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Police made it clear that the £10k reward is for the recovery of the loot that the woman had got her hands on. Makes sense that the British aristocracy would fund a reward for the safe return of the money rather than finding the couple or the baby. Potentially, Constance swindled the money out of her family which is where their interest lies and why the couple were on the run. The police got interested when the safeguarding issues of a newly born baby occurred.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Where is the link between the new born baby being with them in Sussex as they have been on the run and all over the country for weeks ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I believe there is a belief they had the baby with them when they reached Newhaven
Having just flicked through this...

...there's no sign of the baby with them for quite a while, possibly as far back as January 7th....

The couple walked to Flower and Dean Walk near Brick Lane at about 23:45, and appeared to dump various items, including the pushchair, before getting a taxi to Harringey, north London.​
...and they arrived in Newhaven on January 8th. All the CCTV shots from there no longer include a pushchair and they don't seem to be carrying a baby.

All that said, I guess the police wouldn't be scouring the area if they didn't have a strong belief the baby had been with them recently.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Does anyone know if the police are asking for help with the search? If so, where to sign up.
Although it's needle in a haystack, I'd like to help search if there's a possibility to find the baby alive.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What, exactly, is their crime? Meaning why were they on the run? It’s all very vague at the moment. Get a strong feeling we don’t have anything like the full picture of the true situation here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, they think it was born in the back of a car.
I thought they were filmed in a hospital but left pretty quickly ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
This seems to be the only indication that a baby is involved,
Taxi drivers used by the couple in the first few days after they went missing said they had heard noises coming from a baby. It is not known whether their baby was born full-term or has any health problems.
Was there any mention of a bairn before they bunked off ?.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Police helicopter has been flying over Bates Estate and the woods behind all morning. Now dozens of police in hi viz searching the fields.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Helicopter over Hollingbury golf course a few mins ago. It seems some areas have been cordoned off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here