Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to the ticket refuseniks.

sticklebrick

Apr 27, 2008
Well done to those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices for the Sunderland game.

You missed a full-strength Albion side playing fantastic football against a virtually full-strength Premier League team and beating them - a great occasion that will go down in club history. Oh, and you would have got an extra 30 minutes for your money.

So congratulations. I hope you're enjoying reading about it all this morning while feeling pleased with yourselves for not contributing to the furnishings at Dick Tight's Spanish villa. Probably not as much fun as it was watching it ...

Nice post.

I didn't refuse to pay - I couldn't afford to pay. Quite a big difference there. So no, I am not pleased with myself. One day you may be in a financial position like mine - then maybe you might grow up a little and stop posting crap. Then again ....

A lot of people are misrepresenting the fuss that was on NSC. It wasn't people that couldn't afford to go that were complaining - it was that the club dared to charge £28 for a crap League Cup game against a Premiership reserve side. Those fans now look a bit foolish, IMHO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I defence of the OP, people on here were saying that a 2nd rd Carling Cup game, albeit against Prem opposition, wasn't worth that amount of money, rather than "they couldn't afford it."

But I guess your opinion on what something is 'worth' does ultimately depend on how much you can afford.

As ever, I agree with Lush, and also add my defence to the OP.

His comment was very clearly NOT aimed at those who could not AFFORD to attend, but squarely at those who argued long and hard that the ticket prices did not represnt value for money. He is right, and they have been proved wrong.

If you felt you needed to miss this game due to financial constraints, you have absolutely no reason to feel offended by his comments.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Have you considered that some of the people who didn't go maybe couldn't afford to?

Mocking people who are probably less well off than you, pretty poor form that

They should get a job then rather than claiming benefits :)

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
A lot of people are misrepresenting the fuss that was on NSC. It wasn't people that couldn't afford to go that were complaining - it was that the club dared to charge £28 for a League Cup game. Those fans now look a bit foolish, IMHO.

Can't the two be connected? If you were pretty well off £24 or £28 for a game is immaterial, when you're minimum wage it can be a big difference. I'm sure plenty of the people 'complaining' (I prefer to call it 'showing concern') about the inflated price were doing so because they couldn't really justify forking out more, or downright couldn't afford it.

Plenty of people in our beautiful city by the sea have to account for every single pound of their income. The price WAS too high, some people didn't go, now we have this douchebag mocking them.

Poor form

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A lot of people are misrepresenting the fuss that was on NSC. It wasn't people that couldn't afford to go that were complaining - it was that the club dared to charge £28 for a crap League Cup game against a Premiership reserve side. Those fans now look a bit foolish, IMHO.

Exactly.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Idiot. Could have afforded it but it is about choices of time as well as money. Delighted for those who were there, sorry for those who would have liked to have been but couldn't afford it. We're all still supporters...aren't we?

Absolutely......I've got no time for this.." I was there, where were you "..attitude. We all have choices to make in life and sometimes football isn't top of the list.
Football is part of some peoples' busy lives not the main part.
I paid £175 for 5 tickets and got home in the early hours and there will be many more like me. But this morning we are all getting on with our lives and not trying to gloat about witnessing a good victory.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

His comment was very clearly NOT aimed at those who could not AFFORD to attend, but squarely at those who argued long and hard that the ticket prices did not represnt value for money. He is right, and they have been proved wrong.

If you felt you needed to miss this game due to financial constraints, you have absolutely no reason to feel offended by his comments.

But as Lush said, the two are linked.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
They should get a job then rather than claiming benefits :)

rs_cyrano_robert_parker_valentin_olovyannikov_nose_point_500.jpg

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
And it's not as if the club KNEW we were going to win and it was going to be a great night. It was pot luck how the game would pan out but it just so happens it was a cracker, could easily have been very shit

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nice post.

I didn't refuse to pay - I couldn't afford to pay. Quite a big difference there. So no, I am not pleased with myself. One day you may be in a financial position like mine - then maybe you might grow up a little and stop posting crap. Then again ....

Exactly my point. Some people were getting on their high horses and criticising the club for not reducing the ticket prices as they had for Gillingham, even though the match was against a Premier League side. I made no criticism of those who couldn't afford it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But as Lush said, the two are linked.

Absolutely.

But as was covered 100 times in the earlier debate, if I can't afford something (and there are many, many things that I can't) then that does not automatically mean its incorrectly priced - simply that I can't afford it.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I shall remember in future that paying my Mortgage, feeding and clothing my children MUST come secondary to watching The Albion in order to attain Super fan status.

You could always move back in with the parents or uncle/auntie, there's always charity shops and hand me downs for the kids clothes and its well documented that we have an obesity problem in this country so a few days rationing wouldn't go amiss....come on, show some commitment!! :)

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Exactly my point. Some people were getting on their high horses and criticising the club for not reducing the ticket prices as they had for Gillingham, even though the match was against a Premier League side. I made no criticism of those who couldn't afford it.

No you didn't, you said:

Well done to those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices for the Sunderland game.

You missed a full-strength Albion side playing fantastic football against a virtually full-strength Premier League team and beating them - a great occasion that will go down in club history. Oh, and you would have got an extra 30 minutes for your money.

So congratulations. I hope you're enjoying reading about it all this morning while feeling pleased with yourselves for not contributing to the furnishings at Dick Tight's Spanish villa. Probably not as much fun as it was watching it ...

You didn't give any inclination you didn't mean people who couldn't afford it, you just said "those people who refused to pay the club's "inflated" prices", that pretty much includes everyone who refused, including those who couldn't afford it.

A shithouse

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Was NAN there as a fan or on an official basis? Did NAN have to pay for a ticket?

NAN did indeed pay, 28 of your English pounds. And I say again, I make no criticism of people who didn't think they could afford to go. I've been out of work a few times and know what it means to have to decide on priorities. But plenty of people were having a go at the club for charging normal prices, which isn't logical.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Was NAN there as a fan or on an official basis? Did NAN have to pay for a ticket?

NAN did indeed pay, 28 of your English pounds. And I say again, I make no criticism of people who didn't think they could afford to go. I've been out of work a few times and know what it means to have to decide on priorities. But plenty of people were having a go at the club for charging normal prices, which isn't logical.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

EVERYONE has a price that is 'too high' for them. That level somewhat defines what 'value for money' is, surely. I didn't think it was worth the best part of £50 to go to this game and not be able to get home again afterwards. The cost of something and the value of something is not always mutually exclusive. There are people who will say £24 was too much but went anyway. That doesn't mean the price is right for everyone (or even them).

The problem with value for money (especially for sport) is that you never know what you're paying for value-wise until AFTER the event.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I couldn't afford it at £30. Couldn't afford it at £20 either - but at that price I might have just paid it and worried about the consequences later.

Still think it was overpriced. The result changes nothing. My opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here