Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Me too. My first work experience. There was a whole seating area on the first floor but was never used in my time there

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Ernest Hayes the bookie
Beavers Nest Caff
The Newmarket Diner
The Bottle n Jug off licence at the bottom of the steps at The Bevendean Hotel Pub
Saturday morning cinema at The Vogue
The 67 Centre
The biggest slide in the world at The Level
Coloured lights on The Pavillion at night
Bonfire night at Withdean
Melford, E and A, Coombe Rovers and Hollingbury Hawks
Mr K's
St Andrews friday night disco
The old bird that used to sell toffee apples from her kitchen window
who lived in one of the houses on the steps between Birdham Rd and Hodgrove Rd
When my sisiter went to the 67 centre I so much wanted to go (1969-71) she said we (my buv & I) couldn`t. When we were old enough it didn`t seem the same. Anyone remember Moulsecoomb Targets FC, we won Sussex Sunday Cup one year, played at Southwicks ground, sure we won, buv said we lost about 1972-73.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Ernest Hayes the bookie
Beavers Nest Caff
The Newmarket Diner
The Bottle n Jug off licence at the bottom of the steps at The Bevendean Hotel Pub
Saturday morning cinema at The Vogue
The 67 Centre
The biggest slide in the world at The Level
Coloured lights on The Pavillion at night
Bonfire night at Withdean
Melford, E and A, Coombe Rovers and Hollingbury Hawks
Mr K's
St Andrews friday night disco
The old bird that used to sell toffee apples from her kitchen window
who lived in one of the houses on the steps between Birdham Rd and Hodgrove Rd

Good call here. Remember 67 Centre football team forming and winning all the leagues as they moved up the divisions.
Are those woods still there between Birdham Rd and Hodshrove. Used to give me the creeps
The giant umbrella rides, slides and swings at Saunders Park

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Gaiety2.gif

plus:

'Clapshaw & Cleave' Sports Shop in Queens Road

'Diplomat' Records in London Road

'Stunning Rags' Clothes Shop in Queens Road

Allen Arms next door wasn't it and "The Alex" (Alexandria) also on the gyratory

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Anyone remember the blind harpist who used to busk in town? There used to be a painting of him hanging in the old library but that's disappeared now.

No-one I know seems to remember the fella - I think he died about 1967/68 - but he was a well-known local character.

Found this on the excellent mybrightonandhove website, someone had asked the same question as you and this was one of the replies.

The two musicians who played harp and violin were Frederick Alexander on the harp, and Marc Antonio on the violin. My nieces and nephews are four of Frederick Alexander's grandchildren (my sister married his son), and they still have the harp in their lounge in Brighton, it's beautiful. There is a portrait of Frederick and another harp he used on show at the Royal Pavilion.

Mr Frederick Alexander's son Boshi, my brother Phil who would have been about 12, and myself at about 5 years old, used to do comedy acts in a competition at Sherry's and do different shows around Brighton. We were called the 'Three Black Bows', this would have been in the late 1920s, our faces wear blackened with boot polish, and we tap danced. I wore boots way too big for me, hair in rags and I was called Topsi. I followed on doing tap dancing at Jack Sheppard's, on the stage above the Aquarium, and on the Palace and West Piers, and the Grand Theatre. Does anyone remember us?

By Olive Hooper (12/10/2007)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Found this on the excellent mybrightonandhove website, someone had asked the same question as you and this was one of the replies.

The two musicians who played harp and violin were Frederick Alexander on the harp, and Marc Antonio on the violin. My nieces and nephews are four of Frederick Alexander's grandchildren (my sister married his son), and they still have the harp in their lounge in Brighton, it's beautiful. There is a portrait of Frederick and another harp he used on show at the Royal Pavilion.

Mr Frederick Alexander's son Boshi, my brother Phil who would have been about 12, and myself at about 5 years old, used to do comedy acts in a competition at Sherry's and do different shows around Brighton. We were called the 'Three Black Bows', this would have been in the late 1920s, our faces wear blackened with boot polish, and we tap danced. I wore boots way too big for me, hair in rags and I was called Topsi. I followed on doing tap dancing at Jack Sheppard's, on the stage above the Aquarium, and on the Palace and West Piers, and the Grand Theatre. Does anyone remember us?

By Olive Hooper (12/10/2007)

Thanks for that, really brought back memories.

There's some more here
Frederick Alexander Brighton Museums

He died in 1963 so a lot earlier than I remembered - he died when I was six but I certainly remember him playing for some years before that. No mention of him being blind though - I was wrong about that, or perhaps that came late in life.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wishing well Churchill Square
Coffee Shop beneath Miss Selfridge
Chelsea Girl
Escalators up to Odeon West Street
Through the Odeon doors to a single centre kiosk, easy to run past and scatter into cinema, then down to open Fire Exits to let mates in.
Skateboarders the 'Wall' and the ramps on the seafront where skateboarders would slalom around empty coke cans.
Chatanoogas, can still see the owner, at the door, letting people in and trying to stop 'runners', I am sure there was latch high up on the door.
Small sweet shop at the start of the alley between Western Road ( or Sussex square ) and Queens Road. ( opposite Boots )
Greenhouse hairdressers at the start of Imperial Aracade.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Also remember the night the grand got bombed heard a dull thud thought nothing of it went to work in shoreham via kingsway early in the morning absolute chaos.As an after thought anyone remember the gas works at portslade always stank of rotten eggs along the bottom of boundary road.

Watched the Tebbitt rescue on TV then went to my usual Friday shopping at Tescos in old Churchill Square but first, went down to the seafront to have a look with my little boy (now a member of NSC!). Police and tape everywhere. Beautiful sunny day and so surreal.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I remember a tiny Virgin Records being opposite the club shop in Queens Rd.

I worked at Amex and I went to buy a record in the little Virgin during my lunch hour. I realised I'd left my purse in the shop when Gladys the tea lady came round a couple of hours later. Being a record shop full of subversive rockers, I didn't hold out much hope of getting it back. But there it was, right by the till where I'd left it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to yesterday's Sunday Mirror, there was a 23 degree difference in temperature in Brighton & Hove between 3rd December 2010 (-11) and 3rd December 2011 (+12).

bradx

Apr 10, 2011
Brighton
Wow, what a memory you have for record shops! I'd forgotten the guy in The Cottage having a plastic hand, and ta for reminding me of John in Polysound - a thoroughly sound geezer I seem to remember.
One thing I think you got slightly wrong: pretty sure it was New Moon Through Glass, not Full Moon - but hey!
I was the bass player of later incarnations of Carved to a Noise and have just found that keyboard player Ric has uploaded the video we did with Antimo Rivetti, our manager, who went on to do same for Curiosity Killed the Cat. I can't post links here, but a search on YouTube for Carved to a Noise should pull it up.

I wonder whether you or anyone remembers the fanzine 'Dogma' from around those times ('82 probably). Me and and friend now living in Oz put it together using the Resource Centre's old Gestetner/Roneo machine. It ran for four issues and included interviews with the wonderfully warm-hearted Clare Grogan/Altered Images and the distinctly a***y Nick Cave, probable done just before the Birthday Party gig you mentioned.
Running the fanzine was a great for blagging our way into gigs in exchange for writing a review and listing forthcoming gigs. We'd sell mags whilst there to fund our nightly beer and kebab habit. Good times!
If you or anyone has any copies of Dogma in their archives I'd love to hear from you!

Yes I have a copy of Dogma #1. I saw your post on Punk Brighton about it and have emailed you.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
According to yesterday's Sunday Mirror, there was a 23 degree difference in temperature in Brighton & Hove between 3rd December 2010 (-11) and 3rd December 2011 (+12).
But that's not comparing like with like. The +12 was the highest daytime temperature but the -11 was the lowest at night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here