Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Complaint 28 bus to Lewes tonight from Amex

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To be fair, if that is how it happened, sounds like he didn't do anything wrong. We've all made jovial comments like that. Those of us that are commuters will know bits of humour like that are needed to remain sane!

If a bus driver told me to get the back of a queue for no reason, I'd have given him a mouthful too.

The whole thing could of been avoided if the driver hadnt been so rude and abrupt on opening the doors. You obviously was not there otherwise im sure you would have a different view. the reaction of those at the front to the drivers welcome so to speak was one of disbelief.

I was simply being glib.

I remember heading to the bus stop to get the bus home after school, got in line, got to the front went to get on, showed my ticket and the driver said he wouldn't let me on because "you shouldn't use language like that". I was walking alone and hadn't said anything.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are we in danger of being extremely spoiled? I can't think of many/any other grounds that lay on so much transport options above and beyond the usual services available.

No reason for the drivers to act like nobs. Sooner or later there is going to be a nasty incident.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Sounds like the driver needs a career move then. I was under the assumption that the bus was overloaded and did only state the facts of law of an overloaded bus.

To the poster that claimed that the driver should have given his badge number and name over. YOU ARE WRONG sir. Drivers badges are no longer recognised nor are they issued and haven't been issued for well over 20 years. Also, nobody has the right to demand personal details other than a uniformed police officer of any individual.

These buses should all be under the guidance of a company and/or a steward IMHO anyway.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think everyone on this thread just assumed the bus was overloaded as that seemed the most likely reason for the problem.

If the driver really refused to move because someone who he didn't like the look of got on then that is a disgrace. I hope the club and the buses take this seriously as lots of people rely on this service.

What he said ^^^

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So, the whole thing could have been avoided if that fan wasn't being cheeky with his response and didn't get on the bus after explicitly being told to go to the back of the queue?

What a bell end of a comment to make. Christ, the fault here lies not with the cheeky chappy by the driver who choose to be offended by an innocuous comment. Sounds worse than my early 80s school bus driver who revelled in telling small children to sit down and do as he said. Just because he could - in those days you were allowed to let children walk home for miles in the dark along unlit fast roads. Today you'd make the front page of the mail and be sacked instantly. Here we have a classic football fans are yobs and guilty until proven differently by an authority scenario.

tylerlench

Mar 7, 2013
Maresfield
i was on the bus the issue was that everyone was cold and it was raining and the 29 was not running so when this bus arrived the bus driver announce that he wasn't going to let everyone on and some people where obviously annoyed with this and one guy said something that i did not catch when the bus driver stopped letting people on there was still 10 seats on the upper deck spare and people where still outside he also allowed a kid on but not his parents at this point we had been at the bus stop for a long time so some people went downstairs to see what had happened apparently the bus driver was assaulted by people (i guess its on CCTV) and he had shut himself in his booth and phoned the police this lead to a lot of annoyed people yelling at him and a funny chant of you are getting sacked in the morning but when the police showed up the issue was sorted we got an new driver and off we went so congrats to the police who sorted it out and got everyone home

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
No reason for the drivers to act like nobs. Sooner or later there is going to be a nasty incident.

its a sad thing to say but very true. sadly as we left the bus to wait for the next one some of the younger ones shall we say got a bit aggressive although they stopped when a little word in their ear told them not to make a bad situation worse. Im guessing that this is what is going to b investigated not the actual source of the incident.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
i was on the bus the issue was that everyone was cold and it was raining and the 29 was not running so when this bus arrived the bus driver announce that he wasn't going to let everyone on and some people where obviously annoyed with this and one guy said something that i did not catch when the bus driver stopped letting people on there was still 10 seats on the upper deck spare and people where still outside he also allowed a kid on but not his parents at this point we had been at the bus stop for a long time so some people went downstairs to see what had happened apparently the bus driver was assaulted by people (i guess its on CCTV) and he had shut himself in his booth and phoned the police this lead to a lot of annoyed people yelling at him and a funny chant of you are getting sacked in the morning but when the police showed up the issue was sorted we got an new driver and off we went so congrats to the police who sorted it out and got everyone home
sadly a hour or so later than you should of mate. the cctv will indeed b interesting as for the assault accusations im miffed to be honest, unless someone brushed his arm as he was doing his basil fawlty routine.

tylerlench

Mar 7, 2013
Maresfield
apparently according to some from the outside the driver shoved someone first but i did not see this so cant confirm

Is this the record post for the most number of words - 194 - without any punctuation apart from one apostrophe? :)

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
apparently according to some from the outside the driver shoved someone first but i did not see this so cant confirm

likewise mate i saw no shoving either way but to be fair i wasnt exactly glued to the action! Im only dealing in what i did see and hear and in light of recent events on here its best kept that way! The last thing i will say on it is that in all accidents disasters and incidents, such as this minor one there are a chain of events leading to it.The man behind the wheel started that chain so has no one but himself to blame imho.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A few things, the driver was NOT unreasonable by saying that everyone wasnt going to get on and was doing the right thing by advising this, but the attitude shown seems to be bang out of order and certainly has grounds for a complaint.

What also didnt help the situation was selfish people not bothering to move in the bus and/or go upstairs and have a seat, though this can also be down to the driver not bothering to have a look, as all Brighton buses have CCTV.

People should also be reminded that buses have legal capacity limits which if broken voids insurance and would get the driver sacked and the company a large fine. The 28/29 use roads of national speed limit too and the weather conditions last night were poor. Had the vehicle been overloaded and crashed - you would be looking at fatalities.

Facts arent clear though and since the bus has CCTV - it shouldnt be too difficult to investigate.

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
**UPDATE - Paul Barber has sent me an email to assure myself (and other fans) that the club will be looking into the matter, as well as how this type of incident might be avoided in the future. Watch this space.:clap2:

Thanks to everyone for your support. If you were present on the bus in question please send your own complaints (if you are in agreement of course) to Brighton Buses (info@buses.co.uk) copying in Mr Paul Barber (paul.barber@bhafc.co.uk) our esteemed Chief Executive. This will get the maximum response and could result in additional consideration for additional services to the East of the County; Lewes and beyond. This is exactly what a Fans Forum is in place for.
:bowdown:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
This was the response I got from the bus Company when I made a polite suggestion they should consider an extra vehicle to avoid overcrowding and extended delays after evening games:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for your email. Thank you kindly for also taking the time to email and pass on your feedback regarding the buses at football times.

I will pass your feedback onto the operational and management team and thank you for your email in this matter.

At this time there are no plans to place another bus in operation as this is something that the football ground make arrangements for also. I will pass your feedback onto my colleague that works closely with the staff at the ground in regards to transport.

Once again thank you for your email although I am very sorry that you have had cause to contact.

PG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A few things, the driver was NOT unreasonable by saying that everyone wasnt going to get on and was doing the right thing by advising this, but the attitude shown seems to be bang out of order and certainly has grounds for a complaint.

What also didnt help the situation was selfish people not bothering to move in the bus and/or go upstairs and have a seat, though this can also be down to the driver not bothering to have a look, as all Brighton buses have CCTV.

People should also be reminded that buses have legal capacity limits which if broken voids insurance and would get the driver sacked and the company a large fine. The 28/29 use roads of national speed limit too and the weather conditions last night were poor. Had the vehicle been overloaded and crashed - you would be looking at fatalities.

Facts arent clear though and since the bus has CCTV - it shouldnt be too difficult to investigate.

But you're commenting on things that didn't actually happen according to all the eye witness accounts. You can't say that that he's not unreasonable because the sentiment of what he's doing is ok when the delivery was quite clearly unreasonable.

Had the driver acted like a normal and reasonable human being at the start said something like "Please could everyone make sure they use all the available seats in the bus. I will be counting people on because it's illegal for me to carry more than X amount of passengers and if I do I could lose my job" I'm sure there wouldn't have been any problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here