Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Complaint 28 bus to Lewes tonight from Amex

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
The bus company will not put extra buses on as they would not make any money and would cost them in fuel/staff. The driver sounds like he was doing his job to me, if he drove off with more passengers than he is legally aloud to have then he risks the insurance of the bus plus his own job and license.

D

Deleted member 22389

The bus company will not put extra buses on as they would not make any money and would cost them in fuel/staff. The driver sounds like he was doing his job to me, if he drove off with more passengers than he is legally aloud to have then he risks the insurance of the bus plus his own job and license.

Then the club need to hire some more buses privately on top of their deal with B&H buses, because at the end of the day getting home on time for some fans will be the decision on whether they renew their season ticket or not.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sound like the bus driver was being a dick!

If the bus was overloaded then surely that is his fault for not shutting the doors sooner?

Also why is it acceptable for a train to be massively over crowded but a bus isn't?

D

Deleted member 22389

Are we in danger of being extremely spoiled? I can't think of many/any other grounds that lay on so much transport options above and beyond the usual services available.

May be we are, but then not many other clubs in this division get crowds of 23k+

Personally myself I either pay for the Seagulls Travel coach for £4.75 return or I drive to Lewes park up and cycle the rest of the way. Some people will not pay extra and quite rightly use the scheme set in place. Unfortunately that scheme sometimes does not cover the amount of people using it and when we get bad weather it throws everything in to chaos.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I still don't quite understand- generally if buses are full they close the doors and drive off. Letting too many people get on then refusing to move seems very unusual.

I usually get that bus. They are usually good at waiting until full before driving off. I was slightly worried that the delayed kick off might cause problems though so got the train with a mate. Looks like I was lucky.

I'm sympathetic with the poster as this situation did not need to arise. They can (and usually do) employ a spare member of staff to stand on the door and/or the driver normally gets out. People will be annoyed at having to stay behind and wait an hour but that's hard luck.
They could also easily put on an extra bus. They get paid by the club and have to share the collective responsibility of getting people home safely so simply running a normal service in the evening is a poor effort. The fans have all paid for tickets and have little or no choice about when the game ends so why should they be punished? If Sky are going to move games to Monday nights then all the implications have to be addressed.

What happened in the end then? Did enough people get on the 29 to allow him to carry on?

Definitely complain though. If the driver was indeed following the letter of the law then there is something wrong with the system.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
a1 overcrowd.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He was a **** on a power trip...said he couldn't take everyone onto the bus. When questioned he downed tools!

I wasn't there so it's difficult for me to comment, but even if the driver was right not to move the bus due to it having too many passengers on-board, surely he was bound by rules and regulations to at least give customers his drivers number, if not his name, when politely requested?. The problem the OP has wasn't necessarily his refusal to operate the service, but more one of his attitude.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Should have caught the train best midweek get away EVER, home in Bexhill earlier than I was for the Sheff Wed game

For the first time ever we made the first train heading East. I wonder how much of an effect the announcement in the stadium made telling people to go to Brighton had.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
:bowdown:

Nice one - have forwarded thread to the club, eventually managed to work it through with some sensible suggestions for the future benefit of all. Now that's what I call teamwork!

The transport at thr Amex is excellent. I expect the club to laugh at this thread. By the way, 15 buses would only hold about 1, 000 people.

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
got it in one !

Thanks mate, my ire is still rising as I have got relentless grief from the missus from the moment we got through the door at 11.30pm - only saving grace was it wasn't a school night. Quote for Mr Barber "that is the last time you take MY children to a midweek game!:clap2:"

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
I wasn't there so it's difficult for me to comment, but even if the driver was right not to move the bus due to it having too many passengers on-board, surely he was bound by rules and regulations to at least give customers his drivers number, if not his name, when politely requested?. The problem the OP has wasn't necessarily his refusal to operate the service, but more one of his attitude.

Indeed, as I mentioned he had a cob on from the second he arrived at the stop in the howling rain!...something tells me he was having a rather bad day himself, perhaps a Palarse fan?!

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
I still don't quite understand- generally if buses are full they close the doors and drive off. Letting too many people get on then refusing to move seems very unusual.

I usually get that bus. They are usually good at waiting until full before driving off. I was slightly worried that the delayed kick off might cause problems though so got the train with a mate. Looks like I was lucky.

I'm sympathetic with the poster as this situation did not need to arise. They can (and usually do) employ a spare member of staff to stand on the door and/or the driver normally gets out. People will be annoyed at having to stay behind and wait an hour but that's hard luck.
They could also easily put on an extra bus. They get paid by the club and have to share the collective responsibility of getting people home safely so simply running a normal service in the evening is a poor effort. The fans have all paid for tickets and have little or no choice about when the game ends so why should they be punished? If Sky are going to move games to Monday nights then all the implications have to be addressed.

What happened in the end then? Did enough people get on the 29 to allow him to carry on?

Definitely complain though. If the driver was indeed following the letter of the law then there is something wrong with the system.

The next bus was a 29, everyone got off and the driver took EVERYONE to Lewes and beyond ffs! At this point the boys in blue and a representative from the Bus company arrived; it was a very poor end to a terrific evening of football. I am actually thinking it might be quicker to walk from home to the Amex next week and certainly better for my blood pressure.:rant:

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
Sound like the bus driver was being a dick!

If the bus was overloaded then surely that is his fault for not shutting the doors sooner?

Also why is it acceptable for a train to be massively over crowded but a bus isn't?

He was a major dick, at no point was the bus overloaded as half the top deck was empty even when we got off - truly baffling!:shrug:

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
He was a major dick, at no point was the bus overloaded as half the top deck was empty even when we got off - truly baffling!:shrug:

*UPDATE - Just spoke to the Driver Manager Brighton Buses; apparently there is a formal Police investigation now under way given that there were further incident(s) involving other passengers and the driver which took place once we got off the bus. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I would suggest the club also put in a request for additional stewarding to prevent this occurring again.:nono:

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
*UPDATE - Just spoke to the Driver Manager Brighton Buses; apparently there is a formal Police investigation now under way given that there were further incident(s) involving other passengers and the driver which took place once we got off the bus. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I would suggest the club also put in a request for additional stewarding to prevent this occurring again.:nono:

**UPDATE - Paul Barber has sent me an email to assure myself (and other fans) that the club will be looking into the matter, as well as how this type of incident might be avoided in the future. Watch this space.:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here