Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colourful characters

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I certainly used to drink in The Kings Head and was even known to wear a straw hat in there.

I grew up within sight of the Kings Head. Now, the name Horace does ring a bell - not sure if it was his real name, or just what some people called him.

That pic brings back memories.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Anyone seen the guy who walks around town wearing a brightly coloured Adidas tracksuit, with slicked back long brown hair, shades on and he carries a large speaker in his hands playing a dreadful noise? See him all the time, mostly in the summer. I was down the beach once and he walked past in a purple Adidas tracksuit, with the largest boom-box on his shoulders blaring out Michael Jackson, cracked me up :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We always knew him as the mad major

horace.jpg

Although he was also known as Burlington Bertie, Horace and Lord Bracknell

He worker at Marylebone optical company in Worthing for years. Vegster from NSC knew him quite well I,m sure when he finds this thread he'll regale you.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Not a character, but a bit of a legend. The masked hiker; fella who hiked everywhere with a scarf covering his face, even in the height of summer. Is he still about?

Did this guy often wear long flowing black robes and walk with a massive wooden staff?
There was another guy I used to see walking his dog along new church road in Hove. Mad as a bicycle and always talking loudly to his dog. I even saw him walking along laughing manicly to his dog with his meat and two veg hanging out of his shorts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The masked Hiker is still around - saw him going up Coldean Lane a couple of weeks ago. He seems to do an area for a few weeks/months and then move on. I think it was summer a couple of years ago that he could be seen every day going up Dyke Road. I noticed then that he also grunts as he walks. (I'm sure he is Snorkel Parka man mentioned earlier, but i guess he wore the Parka out.)

There's also a strange bloke hangs around Dyke Road Park mumbling about when he was 'big in the city' and his property portfolio. Think he goes by the name of 'Timmy' :angel:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
There's a fella up here in Enfield who walks his two llamas around (only ever one at a time though).

Had to double take when I saw them bounding along the main road out of town.

Have only ever seen him once but have been assured by many "natives" that he's indeed been a long standing feature of the area.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Naughty Boy was a legend in T WElls. Cricket matches on the common were often brought to a halt to watch him skip / dance round the ground.

Very sad story though as some twats decided to report him to the police / council as he danced round their children singing. I understand that he ended up sent off to some secure accomadation in Bognor.

He used toi stop and chat sometimes and say that he just loved singing and the fresh air. POor old boy. Harmless and treated ultimately like a criminal. Really saddens me that his life was deemed to be a danger to others.

Really? That's awful. He was truly harmless.

Oct 25, 2003
Older chap who always used to shout at bus drivers and wave at them.

i remember that guy ( i think)....was often at the old steine waving at the buses, haven't seen him for a good number of years now....he was fairly old so unfortunately he may have passed away

was always harmless enough, most of the drivers would wave back at him, i got the impression he just BLOODY LOVED BUSES

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My daughter went to Southwick beach with her mates on Monday afternoon, she came back and said there was some guy down there wearing a bikini walking around!

I vaguely remember some nutter down at the Level that used to chase us as kids on our bikes, around 78/79.. Think he was a tramp or maybe a gardener, or maybe both... We probably goaded him into chasing us but none of us ever wanted to get caught!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Chris Eubank is worth a mention - either driving along the seafront in his massive truck waving to everyone or speeding round the lanes on his Segway - again waving to everyone. He is determined for you to notice him, I think not being noticed is the worst thing in the world to him.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was jogging through the streets of Hackney at the weekend, the grottier and grimier parts in which dogs were houndnormous and Tennents was carried by probably 45% of the population to chin chin in exchange of the more ordinary hellos of most of us. As i trotted in my portly, sweaty fashion, my ears were full of music, but in doing so in more slightly testy areas, by which i do not mean in and around my testes, i realised the necessity to hear of what was around me, and what the more madcap wanderers might be saying in my direction. To be left with only the option of reading the lips of the mad is difficult to deal with and feel secure whilst doing. As i went, i turned a corner and on the main road was a chap, maybe 6ft 2 in height and just on the border of the obesity scale in terms of weight, who walked with his arms aflail and his mouth seeming to scream "crush, swipe, thwack, twist, choke, stamp, destroy." His legs lashed out also in every step and his eyes were aflame with an evil inherited by a gorgonic fury unbekownst to human hearts 'til this age. I thought of comicbooks and this monstrous figure steaming down the road, a little like Vinnie Jones as the Juggernaut but without his costume and more his real life senility. This guy's trousers were lengthy enough to cover two thirds of his shins and his sockless shoes seemed unmatching. I was terrified and thought my time had come. Members of the public appeared from shop doorways to wonder what was happening and this fist-flapping stomper was heading toward me. I escaped his outstretched knuckles and scarpered without looking back to espy his carnage or removing earphones to hear his unholy yell, thinking i'll never run in that area again, just in case he and his family go out on the rampage together. Unwilling to show my cowardliness in person, i met my girlfriend as arranged some 800m in the distance, and said nothing of this foe, of this beast of the inner city. I'd taken his appearance as an earned curse, as i'd thought for a day or two before about roaming the areas i don't normally during daylight hours to see the oddly-shapen folk and thinkers that idle joblessly through time for whatever reason. I'd sort of asked for this ghoul to appear and tell me not to interfere with the lives around me or simply record them for my own gain.
I've started to worry about the elderly dame i see all too regularly with a greasy, long Open-All-Hours-style shopkeeper's coat and a bewheeled zimmer who pigeon-steps around my district with a tendency to snigger at anyone in passing. Or maybe just particularly me.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
About 30+ years ago, used to see on regular occasions in Western Road, old lady with empty plastic carrier bag in one hand, broken umbrella in other hand waving them about and swearing at any one walking past :)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Horace came to my Wedding,in 1986.he was a cleaneer at Marylebone Optical company.Ex Royal Navy and friend of Dorothy my Missus used to do his shopping for him,bit eccentric but a really top bloke. Been dead about 15 years now.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Anyone seen the guy who walks around town wearing a brightly coloured Adidas tracksuit, with slicked back long brown hair, shades on and he carries a large speaker in his hands playing a dreadful noise? See him all the time, mostly in the summer. I was down the beach once and he walked past in a purple Adidas tracksuit, with the largest boom-box on his shoulders blaring out Michael Jackson, cracked me up :lolol:

Oh yes. I've seen him a couple of times this month. Someone should let him know he needs a new speaker as the one I saw him with had been blown to shit by the drum n bass he was playing at a ridiculous level.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
There was a tramp outside Bedford station that i used to see on a weekly basis when i was about 17. Would get the last train from Brighton on a Sunday night when i briefly lived in St Albans, i'd be passed out by Hassocks and get woken up at Bedford.

This bloke was always there and used to keep me company until the first morning train back. Without fail he would offer me a bit of his Tennants Super (clearly declined.....). Hilarious bloke and very very sharp. No idea what happened to him.

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
There is a guy who lives in Lewes nicknamed "the IDM" (incredible dancing man), He can often be seen outside the court dancing with the buskers or anywhere in Lewes that has the slightest bit of music playing.
His dancing is one of a kind! he has many followers in Lewes ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucWflcFaFpY

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Oh yes. I've seen him a couple of times this month. Someone should let him know he needs a new speaker as the one I saw him with had been blown to shit by the drum n bass he was playing at a ridiculous level.

No dude, thats what i thought at first until my friend informed me that the sound that comes out of his speaker is an actual genre of music.....i know :facepalm: Cant remember what it is called for the life of me though, bagga? magga? Something like "agga"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here