Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colourful characters

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Used to know a couple of tramps long way back who used to kip near the tennis courts on Hove seafront
One of them called himself the Midnight Fairy

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bloke in my mates local can often be seen sitting at the bar with an owl on his arm!!!

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
The old chap who used to frequent Shoreham high-street with a bike, straw boater and stripey boating jacket (plus monacle, if I remember correctly), was quite colourful. Have a feeling he was a bit of a git in person though.

We called him "Burlington Bertie", there were rumours that he was in fact a dustman (i'm not sure how true that was). I can remember one day he was directing traffic in shoreham high street, there was an ambulance behind him with its siren going and the crew hanging out the windows telling him to f*** off.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I used to work in st James' street so I know where your coming from. I often thought I would like to write a sit-com about my experiences there as most days had a somewhat carnival atmosphere. But then most of the shit that went on would be written off as too unrealistic

I still own a business in St James's Street and although nothing like it was 15 years ago or more there're still plenty of eccentrics or nutters about but it is a great place to work. Strangely enough I've often thought someone ought to write a book about the street because it is definitely unique.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Used to know a couple of tramps long way back who used to kip near the tennis courts on Hove seafront
One of them called himself the Midnight Fairy

I often wonder what happened to Simon Jordan.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
While living in Manchester there was a guy who in whatever the weather would be seen in town in just a pair of shorts or if very cold a string vest who went around with a skateboard (but never actually used it) and atleast 1 white rabbit either under his arm or perched like a parrot on his shoulder (sometimes he even had two)
Some busy body investigated into him and found that he holds a economics degree from Salford Uni and also found he overstayed his student visa and was subsequently deported back to Gambia.
He was a really nice guy, not 'mental' at all, but its rather strange to see him about with his rabbits.

Also the local 'mad woman' named the 'Crazy bus lady' who would always be either on the bus between fallowfield and town or camped out in one of the bus shelters, heckling passers by and handing out leaflets about how the new world order in leagues with her ex husband had kidnapped her children and various other incoherent ramblings about the government, my favorite that jackie smith personally drugged her and put her into a halfway house where she was medically exhamined by a team of nwo surgeons...

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I still own a business in St James's Street and although nothing like it was 15 years ago or more there're still plenty of eccentrics or nutters about but it is a great place to work. Strangely enough I've often thought someone ought to write a book about the street because it is definitely unique.

I worked in a little barrel foods shop "scoop and weigh" between 97-99. St james' street had every conceivable member of society residing in it. Male,female,transgender.Straight,gay, rich,homeless,sane and insane you name it. And freddy, the owner of scene 22 gay coffee shop? Now he was a character.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Just about everyone in Stockton has a few quirks about them. It's the sort of place where domestics unfold in shop checkouts, and unshaven men in trenchcoats walk casually down the middle of the road, holding up buses during the rush hour. And no one bats an eyelid. It makes even the roughest area of Brighton look like the epitome of high society.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There's two I remember from the 1980s.
First was the "ten pence man", a tall, thin, beardy man who operated round the lanes and could often be found in the pizza place in east street tucking into the biggest pizza his daily haul would buy him. He would ask for "ten pence for a cup of tea" but was polite enough if you refused.
Then there was the loony known as "Ted". His manor stretched from North Laine to the seafront and he could often be seen scaring students or chasing pigeons. Fond of pissing down the drain in full view of everyone.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Or nutter the description us up to you. But who's the best you've seen on your travels. I'm only asking because I've seen a couple of crackers the last few days.
Monday morning about 7.30 I was cycling into work a gentleman of the street walked past me. Dirty/torn clothes. Fag in mouth and bottle of cider in hand and with his other free hand was pushing an office wheelie chair in a kind of Zimmer/mobility device. It appeared to be the only thing holding him up.
And just now coming home from work a bloke, I'd say in his early sixties. Whinkle pickers, black and White dogtooth drainpipes, no top on just a heavily tattooed torso. Long grey hair, John Lennon shades. In one hand small bottle of vodka and the other hand a snake.
Beat those two :)

Train to Portsmouth a gentleman wearing quite respectable clothes and well presented, with a blue beard and eyepatch -it was 2pm. I was most confused.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The bloke who used to do his breakdancing down by hove lawns, legend! Still see him walking about town, has a very mincey walk about him.
Older chap who always used to shout at bus drivers and wave at them.

We always knew him as the mad major

horace.jpg

Although he was also known as Burlington Bertie, Horace and Lord Bracknell
I certainly used to drink in The Kings Head and was even known to wear a straw hat in there.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
There is an old guy, who looks kind of like a native indian and wears a flame-decaled hat and sunglases, who likes to dance at events such as the Gay Pride rave tent and the... errr Stoneham Park Residents Society Summer Fare Family Fun Day...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There's two I remember from the 1980s.
First was the "ten pence man", a tall, thin, beardy man who operated round the lanes and could often be found in the pizza place in east street tucking into the biggest pizza his daily haul would buy him. He would ask for "ten pence for a cup of tea" but was polite enough if you refused.
Then there was the loony known as "Ted". His manor stretched from North Laine to the seafront and he could often be seen scaring students or chasing pigeons. Fond of pissing down the drain in full view of everyone.

I always gave 10 pence man a few bob. Must have been the most successful beggar in town; never pissed anyone off, very polite & never asked for more than 10 pence!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not a character, but a bit of a legend. The masked hiker; fella who hiked everywhere with a scarf covering his face, even in the height of summer. Is he still about?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57rR7NaFDo&feature=related

His other top hit was "I'm a naughty boy, everything I do is full of sin"

Naughty Boy was a legend in T WElls. Cricket matches on the common were often brought to a halt to watch him skip / dance round the ground.

Very sad story though as some twats decided to report him to the police / council as he danced round their children singing. I understand that he ended up sent off to some secure accomadation in Bognor.

He used toi stop and chat sometimes and say that he just loved singing and the fresh air. POor old boy. Harmless and treated ultimately like a criminal. Really saddens me that his life was deemed to be a danger to others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here