Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Collectors - What is your most bizarre collection ?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I also have a VHS collection - mostly American national parks. I hate throwing stuff away, but is it even worth asking charity shops if they take them? I've been transferring the PAL ones to DVD, but do many people even have the equipment to play tapes?

They dont take them any more, VHS is literally worthless.

I collect fridge magnets from every place i go. If i can't find one there (a real one) i get one made up for me on-line when i get back.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that the other medals aren't deserved it's just that it's rare for the story behind them to be available. The one thing that strikes me about the VC and GC is the egalitarian nature of the awards. As often as not it's a corporal or a mere bobby on the beat.
Boy Seaman John 'Jack' Travers Cornwell is an exception...he was a gunlayer, at the battle of Jutland on HMS Chester his gun crew were wiped out...he stayed at his post and died of his wounds afterwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cornwell
There was a massive oil painting at HMS St Vincent that I had to pass every day during my training...I became fascinated by his story and that led me to studying naval and military history....so my collection has to be shelves of books and tapes and DVDs of our military past.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Haven't bought any for decades, but I have hundreds of Beano comics from the 70s and 80s, Beano, Dandy, Beezer annuals from the 1960s-1980s, as well as various Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Beezer comics.

Also got about 100 bar towels from the 80s that I need to buzz out.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I collect hilarious episodes of Miranda
It is a very small collection

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
This is really random, but for some reason when I was about 12 I collected the little balls that were inside the ink cartridges used in my fountain pen. I had 100's of them and stored them in an old style paracetamol brown bottle with the safety lid. I lost count of the times I got covered in blue ink or cut myself trying to get them out! (I didn't have many friends back then obviously!)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This is really random, but for some reason when I was about 12 I collected the little balls that were inside the ink cartridges used in my fountain pen. I had 100's of them and stored them in an old style paracetamol brown bottle with the safety lid. I lost count of the times I got covered in blue ink or cut myself trying to get them out! (I didn't have many friends back then obviously!)

I did that for a while at school. Always handy to have a small projectile that was easy to hide, but funny to throw en masse to annoy others. Used to stash them in my pencil case.

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
Please tell me that you are happily married now. Please.

Ha ha!! I can confirm I am now married and have lots of friends/fellow STH (the wife just questioned the 'happiness' side of it now I've disclosed this little story even though she used to cut the cartridges open too!)

I used to have a complete collection of 1960s Dusty Springfield singles (including those she made as a member of The Springfields) - which I bought off a friend of mine for peanuts, when he was short of cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here