[Albion] Cole Palmer on loan?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, and look at the disaster unfolding with Levi… imagine if we had insisted on a permanent when he was signed on loan? We would now have the future England LCB in the building and would make an enormous profit once sold. No, it is a very bad idea.
:facepalm: If that’s a disaster what does success look like ?

Worst case we got some excellent performances from a future England star which helped us qualify for Europe, he’ll say very good things about us helping future recruitment and it probably cost us next to nothing. What a shambles eh ?

If we’d insisted on a permanent Chelsea would have told us to fvck off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, and look at the disaster unfolding with Levi… imagine if we had insisted on a permanent when he was signed on loan? We would now have the future England LCB in the building and would make an enormous profit once sold. No, it is a very bad idea.
Yes, we tried that. Chelsea wouldn't budge, end of.

We could have then told them to stuff it, of course - but then they might only have agreed to let Gilmour come if it was a loan only.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can anyone explain to me why Palmer would leave Man City where he's featured a decent amount, to sit on the bench at best for us. Still don't get why they makes any sense? He's a quality young player but there's no chance he's starting ahead of Mitoma, March, Enciso, our record signing or a fit Lallana.
Still not understanding how anyone can see the sense in (and likelihood of) this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can anyone explain to me why Palmer would leave Man City where he's featured a decent amount, to sit on the bench at best for us. Still don't get why they makes any sense? He's a quality young player but there's no chance he's starting ahead of Mitoma, March, Enciso, our record signing or a fit Lallana.
Still not understanding how anyone can see the sense in (and likelihood of) this.
No, we can't.

It's good clickbait though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
All those saying don't want to develop other teams players, what if teams thought that about us?

It's the name of the game and some teams have to rely on the loan market (Yes, I'm looking at you Palace) to compete.

Are the teams we are loaning too 5 places above us in the same league?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

@Dagan (welcome btw) makes a good point I think. The only way this makes any sense is that the role of sharing the left footed right winger role is up for grabs.

I don't think that Enciso or Buonanotte have shone in this position and it is entirely feasible that De Zerbi is looking for a left footed option.

Not saying that this transfer has any truth in it, but is does make sense if you look at it this way.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Naylor confirms that we're interested:

Cole Palmer is another midfielder Brighton like, but no formal approach has been made to Manchester City about the England under-21 prospect.

Palmer is available on loan from Pep Guardiola’s treble winners for the forthcoming campaign

Source: The Athletic

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Cole Palmer is another midfielder Brighton like, but no formal approach has been made to Manchester City about the England under-21 prospect.

Palmer is available on loan from Pep Guardiola’s treble winners for the forthcoming campaign

Haha so many on this thread doubting the sun's initial report.

Gotta say for football the sun is one of the more reliable sources.

Side not I'm glad we've loosened our silly policy of not looking to develop other teams players. Loans can work really well in moderation.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

I could definitely see us going for a few loans this season. With european football we need a bigger squad, but there's a high chance it could just be for this one season, so why wouldnt we consider a couple of season long loans to save money.

theboybilly

No thanks. Don't want another Colwill situation.
I'm not sure why. If Colwill was just a straightforward loan and Chelsea were more organised we wouldn't have a chance of keeping him anyway (to be honest I've never believed we've been in with a shout) Palmer would be a very good addition and add numbers to a squad potentially playing 50+ matches next season

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I notice Palmer made 14 appearances alone in the epl last season (and some saying he's not good enough, snigger)

However, my point would be, can we really offer him much more football than city ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Chelsea would've almost certain told us to Foxtrot Oscar in no uncertain terms...

Plus no-one knew how he – and the loan – would turn out.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
@Dagan (welcome btw) makes a good point I think. The only way this makes any sense is that the role of sharing the left footed right winger role is up for grabs.

I don't think that Enciso or Buonanotte have shone in this position and it is entirely feasible that De Zerbi is looking for a left footed option.

Not saying that this transfer has any truth in it, but is does make sense if you look at it this way.
Sarmiento as well, the forgotten man. Has played well in that position previously.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I notice Palmer made 14 appearances alone in the epl last season (and some saying he's not good enough, snigger)

However, my point would be, can we really offer him much more football than city ?

Plenty of appearances but less than 900 minutes on the pitch across all competitions.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Plenty of appearances but less than 900 minutes on the pitch across all competitions.
I suppose we could at least double that. Still a bit strange as city look short on numbers at the moment. Maybe there is some truth about them being interested in caciedo

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

I suppose we could at least double that. Still a bit strange as city look short on numbers at the moment. Maybe there is some truth about them being interested in caciedo
Exactly.
He's a quality player. You don't become a Pep darling unless you're very good.
But what can we really offer him? 900 minutes is more than Enciso played in the league. It's a decent amount of pitch time. Much more than Buonaotte played. I get he offers us a left footed replacement for Solly, but he's not starting over March in a million years and the bench is going to be very congested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports