Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cole Palmer on loan?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
All those saying don't want to develop other teams players, what if teams thought that about us?

It's the name of the game and some teams have to rely on the loan market (Yes, I'm looking at you Palace) to complete.
But we don’t

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Given we will almost certainly sign more players on perms, which of our outstanding young players are people suggesting make way for Palmer?
Exactly. Not a position we really need to strengthen IMHO

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I suspect that we have a plan A of who we want which won't include loan players and then a lot of other irons in fires for when plan A doesn't happen. File under 'other irons' :wink:
File under final option

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes, and look at the disaster unfolding with Levi… imagine if we had insisted on a permanent when he was signed on loan? We would now have the future England LCB in the building and would make an enormous profit once sold. No, it is a very bad idea.

Disaster? We had a fantastic player for a year for minimal outlay. Last summer, we tried to get him on a permanent deal but Chelsea weren't interested, knowing full well his potential.

Dagan

Jul 1, 2023
Hi all! I'm new here, so take it easy on me as I adapt to this format. Thanks to AZ Gull for encouraging me to join NSC! He posted my BHAFC Transfer Rumor Tracker Google Sheet here some time ago. I hope that's been a helpful resource.

As for a potential Cole Palmer loan, I have a few thoughts.

1. It could suggest that our Caicedo deal may not happen, and we may be reluctant to spend quite as much on transfers as a result.
2. It could suggest that we are struggling to reach an agreement with Ajax for Kudus.
3. It could suggest that Solly March's expected recovery timeline from the hamstring injury may not be as promising as we would have hoped.
4. Palmer can play a variety of positions, which is ideal, but the one that stands out the most to me as it relates to our interest is that he can play as a left-footed right wing.
5. If any one or more of #1-3 above is true, Palmer would be a low cost option for depth in the CAM role and on the wing, and an especially good fit because of #4.
6. In the appearances I saw from him this year, he appeared to be prodigiously talented, blessed with height and both good speed and a quick burst relative to his size.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Difference with Colwill is we had no left footed CB in the squad. Palmer- we have at least João Pedro, Enciso, March, Mitoma, AL, Welbz, Sarmiento, Adingra, Buonaotte already in the building.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes, and look at the disaster unfolding with Levi… imagine if we had insisted on a permanent when he was signed on loan? We would now have the future England LCB in the building and would make an enormous profit once sold. No, it is a very bad idea.
To be honest ever since you told me it was a disaster we weren't signing a big striker, that it would lead to us being relegated and then pointed to Burnley's 4 strikers as an example of what we should be trying to achieve (they were then relegated) you'll excuse me if I don't take your barometer for 'disasters' or transfer guidance on board to it's fullest extent.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Hi all! I'm new here, so take it easy on me as I adapt to this format. Thanks to AZ Gull for encouraging me to join NSC! He posted my BHAFC Transfer Rumor Tracker Google Sheet here some time ago. I hope that's been a helpful resource.

As for a potential Cole Palmer loan, I have a few thoughts.

1. It could suggest that our Caicedo deal may not happen, and we may be reluctant to spend quite as much on transfers as a result.
2. It could suggest that we are struggling to reach an agreement with Ajax for Kudus.
3. It could suggest that Solly March's expected recovery timeline from the hamstring injury may not be as promising as we would have hoped.
4. Palmer can play a variety of positions, which is ideal, but the one that stands out the most to me as it relates to our interest is that he can play as a left-footed right wing.
5. If any one or more of #1-3 above is true, Palmer would be a low cost option for depth in the CAM role and on the wing, and an especially good fit because of #4.
6. In the appearances I saw from him this year, he appeared to be prodigiously talented, blessed with height and both good speed and a quick burst relative to his size.
Welcome fella. All reasonable suppositions - but the main doubts I would have are that it is still a well stocked area for us, and he was a bit part player in a treble winning side last season. Which would mean Guardiola would want him to be playing week in week out to push on. Otherwise why not just keep him in the same role?

We couldn't and shouldn't be offering that when we have a whole raft of supeeb kids trying to get a game.

I think we all saw some talent in the 1-1 game when he came on (totally agree on the height thing by the way - I had him down as a diminutive tricky winger but he looks like a basketball player in the flesh) and I think - might be wrong about this - that he put the cross In for Haalands 'winner'?

The other thing that makes me doubt it is its reported in the Sun. Which is a shìtpot disgusting lying rag staffed exclusively by coked up sociopaths .

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Difference with Colwill is we had no left footed CB in the squad. Palmer- we have at least João Pedro, Enciso, March, Mitoma, AL, Welbz, Sarmiento, Adingra, Buonaotte already in the building.
Of course. There is absolutely no comparison.

Dagan

Jul 1, 2023
Welcome fella. All reasonable suppositions - but the main doubts I would have are that it is still a well stocked area for us, and he was a bit part player in a treble winning side last season. Which would mean Guardiola would want him to be playing week in week out to push on. Otherwise why not just keep him in the same role?

We couldn't and shouldn't be offering that when we have a whole raft of supeeb kids trying to get a game.

I think we all saw some talent in the 1-1 game when he came on (totally agree on the height thing by the way - I had him down as a diminutive tricky winger but he looks like a basketball player in the flesh) and I think - might be wrong about this - that he put the cross In for Haalands 'winner'?

The other thing that makes me doubt it is it’s reported in the Sun. Which is a shìtpot disgusting lying rag staffed exclusively by coked up sociopaths .
Thanks for the welcome!

I think your doubts, especially given the source, are very reasonable.

I’m with you that it doesn’t really make a ton of sense overall given the youth we have in place and the need to give minutes to develop. However, what we don’t have, even among our young guys, are left-footed players who can play right wing (as RDZ prefers) at the level we need. RDZ tried Buonanotte there, but I don’t think playing out wide suits him as well as CAM, which is what he was said to be when we brought him in.

Kudus would fill that role nicely, but he’s got a new record-level fee attached to him. That fee, coupled with Solly’s injury and Buonanotte not looking great out wide, may be the combination of factors that would open us up to a short term solution like Palmer.

This situation would be decidedly different than that of Colwill, wherein our need for a left-footed center back was one in search of a long term answer. At RW, Palmer could be a little more of a short term fix that we won’t need for the long haul once Solly returns. Further, in general, it seems there are more attractive left-footed RW talents available than there are among left-footed CBs. I’d much prefer a signing to a loan, but if it’s seen as the best short term option for the club, as always, I trust the club.

Also, I believe your recollection about the cross to Haaland would have been winner having come from Palmer’s cross.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
My fear here is this is a replacement for Mitoma. Otherwise I just don’t see how this deal makes any sense at all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Colwill loan was a massive success and we are now one of the best clubs in Europe to loan a player to. We've added £25 million to Colwill's value in one season, and I'm not surprised if City want us to do the same with Palmer. However, I don't think we need him.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Thanks for the welcome!

I’m with you that it doesn’t really make a ton of sense overall given the youth we have in place and the need to give minutes to develop. However, what we don’t have, even among our young guys, are left-footed players who can play right wing (as RDZ prefers) at the level we need. RDZ tried Buonanotte there, but I don’t think playing out wide suits him as well as CAM, which is what he was said to be when we brought him in.

Kudus would fill that role nicely, but he’s got a new record-level fee attached to him. That fee, coupled with Solly’s injury and Buonanotte not looking great out wide, may be the combination of factors that would open us up to a short term solution like Palmer.

This situation would be decidedly different than that of Colwill, wherein our need for a left-footed center back was one in search of a long term answer. At RW, Palmer could be a little more of a short term fix that we won’t need for the long haul once Solly returns. Further, in general, it seems there are more attractive left-footed RW talents available than there are among left-footed CBs. I’d much prefer a signing to a loan, but if it’s seen as the best short term option for the club, as always, I trust the club.

Also, I believe your recollection about the cross to Haaland would have been winner having come from Palmer’s cross.
Yes, all good points mate. But Im not sure Guardiola is going to risk one of his up and coming stars on Solly being injured and Sarmiento or Enciso not being preferred even if they aren't a perfect fit. Especially when he's got Luton or Burnley to foist him on. Where he'll be their best player every match.

I've got no worries about his ability. Would just find it a curious deal.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Thanks for the welcome!

Love your contributions on the Albion Obsessed podcast, I hope you feel very welcome here too!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Thanks for the welcome!

I agree with you. March’s injury was clearly from playing too much. We need reinforcements to take the strain off first teamers, especially with our extra European games. A one year loan for a very talented player who has Premier League experience and can fill a hole ( left footed, right winger) is sensible. It also frees up money for the important replacements of defensive midfielder ( Caicedo replacement) and LCB which we are very likely to need to fill due to Chelsea’s understandable reluctance to let Colwill leave.
Our European adventure may be for just one year and so a one year loan would help.
Roberto has said that he wants to attack all four competitions this year and do that we need a number of ‘fringe players’. Someone who may get 15-20 starts in cup and league games and then acts as a sub after 70-75 minutes as the fatigue sets in for Solly.
Top teams perform throughout a season due to the strength of their squad. This lad would get more game time for us than for Man City. It would also mean a fresher Solly March for the key games.

Dagan

Jul 1, 2023
My fear here is this is a replacement for Mitoma. Otherwise I just don’t see how this deal makes any sense at all.
I wouldn't worry about that yet. While, we may sell Mitoma eventually, the marketing value he brings probably pushes him well down the list of players we'd flip for a profit as we head into Europe this season If Enciso outperforms him in his minutes at LW in the first half of the season, I could see us considering moving him in January if a team in need was offering a premium, over-market value, fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here