Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coca Cola kid, £250,000 and ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Coca Cola kid, £250,000 and ?

Lord Bracknell said:
As far as this particular issue is concerned, I would justify my comment on the basis of the fact that hardly anybody questioned the rule change when the new Board took over and hardly anyone has questioned it since.

How many complained when Stanley, Archer and Bellotti "rescued" us way back when? Of those who did speak out at all, most welcomed their entrance into the Albion.

Of course you can say that eventually people did question what was going on, but how long does one give before the thought is "everything is actually ok here"?

Lord Bracknell said:
In general terms, though, you have a point. What do Albion fans think about anything? The answer to that will only be found out if and when a democratically controlled Supporters' Trust comes into being.

Maybe we need to be making that move as soon as the Falmer - YES decision is announced?

I disagree on this. We should have made this move long before now. However, despite everything the Albion has been through over the past 10 years there are still precious few people prepared to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in where it matters. That's my view, anyway.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Oceanic the tickets will cost £20 (or even more) at Falmer because they will still include travel.
Take a look around the Championship and see what other clubs are charging. Very few are under £20. The average I have been forking out for away games is £22.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
CKR actually cost a downpayment of £55k and another £45 dependent on appearances / staying up. (per the sports argus last week).

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Kazim-Richards cost £100k max.

I believe Carole and Turienzo were both over £100k.

I expect there is money available to sign a keeper in January.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
southstandandy said:
CKR actually cost a downpayment of £55k and another £45 dependent on appearances / staying up. (per the sports argus last week).
£45 for staying up? We payed £10k for McCammon after staying up. :ohmy:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Silent Bob said:
£45 for staying up? We payed £10k for McCammon after staying up. :ohmy:

I think it was dependent on appearences.

McCammon was £15k well spent. :jester:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And the keeper will be Henderson as Villa think he is too small (you heard it here first).

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Beach Hut said:
And the keeper will be Henderson as Villa think he is too small (you heard it here first).

I hope it is, but when QPR wanted him in the summer Villa wanted silly money.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
fatboy said:
I hope it is, but when QPR wanted him in the summer Villa wanted silly money.
Dunno if it was silly money, QPR were unwilling to pay any fee.

fatboy said:
I think it was dependent on appearences.

McCammon was £15k well spent. :jester:
It was definitely 10k on survival, as I remember we had to pay out after him not playing at all in the run in. :glare:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We should have signed Carl Asaba in the summer, someone who we know can score regularly in this division. CKR looked way off the pace yesterday but he's young and will learn. Time for Turienzo to be given a place on the bench?

We also should have signed Jon Harley - a left back who is from London and we could have got him for £80K. That was a real miss.

Cantral midfield is still woefully inadequate but at least we have wide players who are looking good. Carole is my man of the season so far.

Still, I trust McGhee to go out and find the players we need to stay up. But make no mistake it''s going to the wire again.

We miss Virgo.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I think we have invested the money wisely, Yes Sam Parkin would have been good but has done nothing in his time at Ipswich and was £750k. Asaba would have been a good signing as well but it is not only being interested in players that count. They have to want to come here and who in there right mind would come to Withdean over the New Den or Carrow Road or Mollineux etc? I believe we have got a nice little chunk sitting in storage for the transfer window as we will know whether a Falmer is Yes or No ( heaven forbid ) and with the yes the lure of playing for the Albion will be massive. All the players know about how good our support is and how affluent the South East is. The only thing they do not know about is whether we will be in existence in a years time.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Silent Bob said:
Dunno if it was silly money, QPR were unwilling to pay any fee.

It was definitely 10k on survival, as I remember we had to pay out after him not playing at all in the run in. :glare:

I meant the Kazim-Richards money is on appearances, not McCammon.

McCammon blotted his copybook by arguing with McGhee at half-time at Burnley in April. He was substituted, made his own way home and did not play again as Albion secured Championship safety with a last-day draw at home to Ipswich.

That cost the Seagulls £15,000 under the terms of the deal which brought McCammon to Withdean from Millwall.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The money could have been better spent no question.

CKR might be good in a few years but we need good NOW.

He does not put himself about enough for quite a stocky bloke.

Should have SPUNKED all our dosh on Lee Trundle, John Harley and Carl Asaba then got a midfielder in on loan.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris said:
The money could have been better spent no question.

CKR might be good in a few years but we need good NOW.

He does not put himself about enough for quite a stocky bloke.

Should have SPUNKED all our dosh on Lee Trundle, John Harley and Carl Asaba then got a midfielder in on loan.

:jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm glad for your sake you're not the manager, Richie. I would have throttled you by now.

I personally agree with McGhee and DK's view of investing in the future. We don't know what's going to happen in the next few years. Hopefully, we will be at Falmer by 2008, but a player like, say, Sam Parkin is not someone we could have held onto for longer than the statutory one year Coca-Cola's money would allow (his wages would be too high), whereas some like CKR comes to us with lower wage demands, and McGhee can mould him into the player he wants rather than getting him to play 'differently'.

In the meantime, we are in a f*** sight better position, with better potential this year than we were this time last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here