Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS'soverhead kick against BURNLEY was the best Albion goal since.......?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We all loved Craig's goal last sat and some have said it was the best goal they have seen by an Albion player
I don't see how it could be the best any Albion fan has seen as it should have been disallowed for dangerous play.

according to Burnley commentator

Winchester1

Aug 27, 2012
Downtown Winchester
Mark Lawrenson IMO - need some help here from the over 50's! What fixture was this please? I think it was 1978 season, he broke out of defence, did a Frans Beckenbaeur past two of the opposition, did a one-two with Nobby Horton on the half way line - which just split their flat back-four apart, went one-on-one with the goal keeper and just tucked it away. North Stand Erupted................ Legend IMO

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Does the fact that there is no footage of the nelson goal at brentford make it untouchable.So no matter how good a goal we score in the future it will never match the nelson goal.

Quite possibly. But as someone else said on here the Nelson goal had everything. It was a cup tie away at a smaller team. The Albion fans had seats on one side and the whole terrace behind the goal (the one Nelson scored in) and half of the other terrace up to the half way line. It was the sort of following Leeds bring away. We were there in massive numbers. I seem to remember a bit of trouble over on the far side as Albion fans were being pushed back by the OB as I don't think anyone expected so many to travel. It was a FA cup tie when the FA cup was glamorous and we'd only been in the final 4 years previous. I seem to remember the ref was an utter utter wanker, penalising every tackle from us, although big Doug Rougvie was probably ending careers out there. After 2 or 3 blatant Penalty appeals turned down, we got one. I can't remember who was fouled, I think it might have been Nelse. Then Garry put the Pen away and we go nuts. 1-0. Then about 10 minutes later it happens. The whole Brighton side of the ground is having a party and there's blow up bananas and f*** dolls, the lot. Nelse gets it by the half way line takes on 2 players, he's straight through, jinx past the next and the next, shapes to shoot but takes an extra touch to take another defender out and on the edge of the area buries the sweetest, hardest cleanest strike right into the top corner! The Brighton ends erupt!!! Fans go crazy and even though there was the 6ft fences they scale them and force open a gate for a massive pitch invasion. it really was Roy of the rovers stuff.

I love the BZ Halifax goal but I think CMS's goal is better than that, but not quite as good as Nelsons.
As you say though, there is no footage, so will any goal ever come up to the standards of that one? Maybe not.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Ward's solo goal against Mansfield in the last seventies in the Division 3 promotion year when he magically beat three players on a sixpence with deception and finished from an impossible angle. The referee even clapped.

But I liked 38 Bobby Zamora against Wimbledon at Withdean, Gary Hart to Steele and run (akin to the Buckley breakaway against Newcastle) and pin point cross for Bobby Z. I wish I could remember all the good ones. Goals are much better nowadays.

I liked Matt Sparrow's (good player on his day) first against Southampton but there were many goals of the same standard.

Last edited:

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Mark Lawrenson IMO - need some help here from the over 50's! What fixture was this please? I think it was 1978 season, he broke out of defence, did a Frans Beckenbaeur past two of the opposition, did a one-two with Nobby Horton on the half way line - which just split their flat back-four apart, went one-on-one with the goal keeper and just tucked it away. North Stand Erupted................ Legend IMO

I was going to say that one. Good feet for a defender.

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
Bobby Z vs Bury
Terry Conner vs Swansea? - Sideways bicycle kick- style rocket
Wardy - Corner of Penalty area, back to goal; dummies defender twice turns and chips keeper into far corner - Brilliant
Dean Wilkins vs Ipswich - Late Late free kick that got us into the plays offs.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Robert codners 30 yards strike away at plymouth (not really good goal though) cheekist ever was G Parris but got to go with Boobys Volley, does anyone remember who we were playing when El Abd went on a solo run and scored a cracker?

Yeah I think it was at home to Leyton Orient! A stunner with the left foot.....pretty sure thats the game I have on DVD! Found it in the bargain bin for about £1 in the club shop a couple of years back!!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Better than all the Zamora ones, but not better than Nelse in my opinion.

Definitely not better than Nelsons...that was also the most mental celebration i've been involved in...everybody went nuts....great day indeed, never to be forgotten for me.

Gullster

Oct 26, 2011
I used to enjoy Kit Napier scoring from corners, however everyone seems to have forgotten that CMS's first goal at Burnley was pretty special too.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Yeah I think it was at home to Leyton Orient! A stunner with the left foot.....pretty sure thats the game I have on DVD! Found it in the bargain bin for about £1 in the club shop a couple of years back!!
Thanks, can't believe I didn't remeber it was Orient,its now a little bit sweeter lol

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Definitely not better than Nelsons...that was also the most mental celebration i've been involved in...everybody went nuts....great day indeed, never to be forgotten for me.

Absolutely and one of my first away days too. Me and three school friends.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Just out of interest, does anyone know if the argus have an archive? It would be great to hear what they said about the nelse goal.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Wolves in League Cup I do believe( from an over 50 haha) !!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Wolves in League Cup I do believe( from an over 50 haha) !!

Yep, defo this, can't remember the score though. I remember it well and I'm 43�� under the floodlights on a Tuesday?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Peter Ward's solo goal against Mansfield in the last seventies in the Division 3 promotion year when he magically beat three players on a sixpence with deception and finished from an impossible angle. The referee even clapped.

But I liked 38 Bobby Zamora against Wimbledon at Withdean, Gary Hart to Steele and run (akin to the Buckley breakaway against Newcastle) and pin point cross for Bobby Z. I wish I could remember all the good ones. Goals are much better nowadays.

I liked Matt Sparrow's (good player on his day) first against Southampton but there were many goals of the same standard.

Wardy that day was completely unstoppable. Mansfield were near the top, a real top of the table clash. After that goal, which was an unbelievable mazy run and chipped finish (the argus have a picture of the strike taking a divet out of the pitch) he spent the rest of the second half just taking on player after player. There were two occasions when he got bored of beating men going forward and turned and came back beating more players. In the car I remember listening to what was then the radio 2 round up. The commentator's summary was 'the first half was close and ended 1-1. The second half was Peter Ward 2 - Mansfield 0'.
Having said all that, Nelson's goal was the best I've seen from an Albion player. It was almost in 3 stages, with the initial junking run where I reckon he beat 3 players, the dummies which took him past 2 others, and then the blistering shot. For those of you not there think Giggs v Arsenal in the FA Cup .....just that the shot was further out and hit harder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here