Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS'soverhead kick against BURNLEY was the best Albion goal since.......?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Quite possibly. But as someone else said on here the Nelson goal had everything. It was a cup tie away at a smaller team. The Albion fans had seats on one side and the whole terrace behind the goal (the one Nelson scored in) and half of the other terrace up to the half way line. It was the sort of following Leeds bring away. We were there in massive numbers. I seem to remember a bit of trouble over on the far side as Albion fans were being pushed back by the OB as I don't think anyone expected so many to travel. It was a FA cup tie when the FA cup was glamorous and we'd only been in the final 4 years previous. I seem to remember the ref was an utter utter wanker, penalising every tackle from us, although big Doug Rougvie was probably ending careers out there. After 2 or 3 blatant Penalty appeals turned down, we got one. I can't remember who was fouled, I think it might have been Nelse. Then Garry put the Pen away and we go nuts. 1-0. Then about 10 minutes later it happens. The whole Brighton side of the ground is having a party and there's blow up bananas and f*** dolls, the lot. Nelse gets it by the half way line takes on 2 players, he's straight through, jinx past the next and the next, shapes to shoot but takes an extra touch to take another defender out and on the edge of the area buries the sweetest, hardest cleanest strike right into the top corner! The Brighton ends erupt!!! Fans go crazy and even though there was the 6ft fences they scale them and force open a gate for a massive pitch invasion. it really was Roy of the rovers stuff.

I love the BZ Halifax goal but I think CMS's goal is better than that, but not quite as good as Nelsons.
As you say though, there is no footage, so will any goal ever come up to the standards of that one? Maybe not.

I was there and it was everything as stated. Well described Sir!

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
One that popped into my head re-reading this thread is Kieron O'Regan volley from edge of the area at a corner home v Pompey. Seem to remember that it was so quick the cameras completely missed it.

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
One that popped into my head re-reading this thread is Kieron O'Regan volley from edge of the area at a corner home v Pompey. Seem to remember that it was so quick the cameras completely missed it.

I remember something like that, but i thought it was a Paul Clark rocket - could be wrong,
Camera has ball at feet of Clark, nice shot of the sky as he swivels camera too fast, goalie picking ball out of the net - classic tv!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wardy that day was completely unstoppable. Mansfield were near the top, a real top of the table clash. After that goal, which was an unbelievable mazy run and chipped finish (the argus have a picture of the strike taking a divet out of the pitch) he spent the rest of the second half just taking on player after player. There were two occasions when he got bored of beating men going forward and turned and came back beating more players. In the car I remember listening to what was then the radio 2 round up. The commentator's summary was 'the first half was close and ended 1-1. The second half was Peter Ward 2 - Mansfield 0'.
Having said all that, Nelson's goal was the best I've seen from an Albion player. It was almost in 3 stages, with the initial junking run where I reckon he beat 3 players, the dummies which took him past 2 others, and then the blistering shot. For those of you not there think Giggs v Arsenal in the FA Cup .....just that the shot was further out and hit harder.

I have not seen Nelson's goal and my favourites are always combination goals like Willie Irvine's TV goal in 71. Both Peter Ward and Macca showed how to beat a packed well organised defence. Both started with the Albion player with is back to the goal and defender in close attendance.

It is difficult to beat a packed defence. One idea and possibly the most effective is to have a big target man.

My preference is to have a two-footed (usually a left footer) creative midfielder/striker in the Maxi (or Vicente, Lopez) mould and a mobile attacker in the Austin/Becchio (cf. Willie Irvine) mould, so it means just one up front. However, when the opponents really park the bus, bring on the out and out winger (Kazenga) or Wardy type of player. Will Buckley (first choice inclusion) I see as a midfielder/winger although when Vicente is playing a more central role, Buckley is very effective wide. Macca is a siort of combination between the styles of the small tricky striker and the mobile finisher. If he can score with his back to the goal when he collects the ball (he has done this before in the Ward style once) he would cause trouble for defences. Just remember to leave a trailing leg to be tripped.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
loads and loads of good goals here

my one memory of Gerry FELL was a great goal(volley) from outside the area that nearly tore the net ........under rated player was Gerry

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
CMS's goal was shown again on Football Focus today.

In between them kissing up to Wayne Rooney to plug his book, and Robbie Savage telling the world he'd never drop lower than the Championship to play his football.

Er...has he blocked the Albion out of his mind? To be truthful, I pretty much have, as he was shocking when he played for us.

He also said that he once joined a club & was shocked to find a dog called Rooney sitting in the corner of the physio's room.

Wonder how Malcolm Stuart & pet are these days? How times have changed.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The only person to come close to Nelson would have been Vicente v Derby....if only he hadn't aimed for the bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here