CMS

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No need to even think about signing another striker.
Play two upfront. Rotate CMS with Barnes & Hoskins.
Play every game, home & away with at least one attacking winger.
Sign a creative playmaking central midfielder.
Sign a better Goalkeeper.
Speed up the tempo.

The only reason CMS wasn't banging them in last season as the service was average at best and he's a poacher, not a lone striker.

Our Very Own Torres

But if you speed up the tempo surely he will struggle even more? He already struggles with having a pretty poor first touch.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nonsense. Gus wanted to make sure we were SOLID at this level first, just like in League One when he first joined. In our promotion year we played free flowing attacking football, often winning by 3 or 4 goals, so we know that when Gus has his team in place for the division he's not a defensive manager at all. It's just fonna take time that's all.
Let's see what happens next season then:)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes correct but it will be much tougher next season now the momentum has gone,sitting back just adds unnecessary pressure,i feel sorry for our attackers who feed off scraps most weeks.

This needs to be addressed if we are to be successful.

I think talk of us being negative is very wide of the mark.

Olé.....

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Bit harsh, watch back some of the highlights and you'll see his vision and position has been good, not played in many times when he's had the chance.

You can see his confidence did drop off though. Someone with his work ethic and desire to do well for the club is someone I admire in a Brighton shirt and I am hoping he has a blinder this year.

Strikers are paid to score goals teams need them to do that to win games,work ethic and loyalty do not win games goals do

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let's see what happens next season then:)

But everything I said is true isnt it? We played excellentfreeflowing attacking football in the promotion season. Gus was intelligent to make sure we were hard to beat this season just gone, to make sure first and foremost that we didn't go down.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He loves high tempo games and we're like snails going forward,watch his goals at Peterborough and you will see.

Perhaps it's a confidence thing then, cos his first touch was pretty shocking at times last season, and that would only get worse the quicker the tempo, surely?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But if you speed up the tempo surely he will struggle even more? He already struggles with having a pretty poor first touch.

He wouldn't need to struggle because our creative central midfielder and attacking winger would be creating the momentum. As stated, he is a poacher and he works at his best knocking in the loose or over the top ball from his striking counterpart.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think talk of us being negative is very wide of the mark.

Olé.....
No it's not,it was very negative for large parts of the season,7 defensive players week after week tells you it was all about defending,many games past us by last season.

It was a great finish though and im intrigued to see how gus is goner get us playing next season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No it's not,it was very negative for large parts of the season,7 defensive players week after week tells you it was all about defending,many games past us by last season.

It was a great finish though and im intrigued to see how gus is goner get us playing next season.

Ipswich at the Amex?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ipswich at the Amex?
yes of cause we attacked more for a few or more games last season,the shooting stats were dreadful though many a time and the away performances were also rather poor.

We'll see next season,but i,ve got that horrible feeling its goner be the same again next season with defensive midfielders galore.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I can't believe all of the negativity surrounding CMS. Put Messi in our side last season with the countless scoring opportunities that we didn't create, and and he would have struggled to get into double figures.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
We'll see next season,but i,ve got that horrible feeling its goner be the same again next season with defensive midfielders galore.

Remember Gus is still only a very young manager with little experience. Playing the defensive game is what new managers do as it's safer.
Looking back on the season past, I'm sure Gus understands what he needs to improve and how to do it. If we can get Reyes, there's an attacking option. Also, if we start using Vincelot as we should be, there's another progressive option.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
yes of cause we attacked more for a few or more games last season,the shooting stats were dreadful though many a time and the away performances were also rather poor.

I think you're wrong. We played to our strengths this season. If Sparrow didn't keep getting himself suspended, I honestly think he would have been playing in place of Navarro and it would have been more fluid going forward. I know it's easy to say, because it didn't happen.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Strikers are paid to score goals teams need them to do that to win games,work ethic and loyalty do not win games goals do

True, but if you're not supplying them and only playing one up front without a partner it is a big ask, who would you swap him for last season if you could have then?
It's our system that will be CMS's down fall not the man himself as he has plenty of goals in him. A few new additions can only benefit him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Remember Gus is still only a very young manager with little experience. Playing the defensive game is what new managers do as it's safer.
Looking back on the season past, I'm sure Gus understands what he needs to improve and how to do it. If we can get Reyes, there's an attacking option. Also, if we start using Vincelot as we should be, there's another progressive option.
Yep agree and look forward to next season:)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He loves high tempo games and we're like snails going forward,watch his goals at Peterborough and you will see.
Problem is that you look at those goals and then look at the times he has had that kind of service last season and he didn't do anything with it. When he has balls in behind the defence he is not quick or strong enough to get away from Championship defenders as he did in League One, when we put crosses in the box he's usually nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps it's a confidence thing then, cos his first touch was pretty shocking at times last season, and that would only get worse the quicker the tempo, surely?
This is the worrying thing, if you ask Peterborough fans who all love him they'll still say the same things as people who saw him at Brighton about his touch not being the best and him not always taking his chances.

Anyway Gus must have read this thread as he said in the Argus today there's no way CMS won't have a better season this time. Lets hope so. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports