Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS being recalled for boxing day

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Good.................................welcome back...................

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
At the worst he would have taken the ball and defenders down to the corner and with the break away chance Colunga had he would have tried a 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Absolutely. I also felt Colunga should have been quicker to the ball in the build up to the corner for their goal. Looked like he didn't really want to chase for it. CMS would have either got to it or forced the defender to go backwards!

As I said elsewhere, cannot understand why we loaned him out!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Especially with the loan situation. If we'd had CMS available, he could have replaced one of the attacking loan options against Millwall (either starting or on the bench) and we could have played Bennett at left back! I'd be interested to know who made the decision to let him go on loan. If it was Hyypia, then it's another reason to be glad he's gone!
I don't know but I find it plausible that he, along with O'Grady, was loaned out to make room on the wage bill for Darren Bent. At least in part, Hyypia never showed too much interest in playing them either.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't know but I find it plausible that he, along with O'Grady, was loaned out to make room on the wage bill for Darren Bent. At least in part, Hyypia never showed too much interest in playing them either.

Which is why I'm not assuming it is Hyypia's fault. It has crossed my mind too that it might be budgetary constraints rather than choice, although you're right that Hyypia hadn't used him a lot (especially from the start). Either way, I think it was a poor decision as an injury to one of our strikers would leave us short. Glad we've at least rectified it now and he's available.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Makes total sense. We need experienced players. We need players who will stand up and be counted. CMS definitely fits the bill. Posh can do one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Biggest danger is that CMS feels the need to randomly run around in even more demented fashion in a doomed bid to make something happen for him. Words of legendary New Order producer Martin Hannett to drummer Stephen Morris spring to mind: 'Play faster but slower'...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Biggest danger is that CMS feels the need to randomly run around in even more demented fashion in a doomed bid to make something happen for him. Words of legendary New Order producer Martin Hannett to drummer Stephen Morris spring to mind: 'Play faster but slower'...

Just out of interest, do you agree with his recall?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If the 'experiment' works then great! But he hasn't been setting League one on fire recently. He has failed with three different managers here so far. Like Sami, nice guy but......

I genuinely hope this post comes back to haunt me for the good of this season...but I'm positive it won't :D

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If the 'experiment' works then great! But he hasn't been setting League one on fire recently. He has failed with three different managers here so far. Like Sami, nice guy but......

I genuinely hope this post comes back to haunt me for the good of this season...but I'm positive it won't :D

Not one of those managers has played to CMS's strengths. When they do, time to judge CMS...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Honestly, I really hope he succeeds...

Jones has been with two managers/CMS Has he got the tactical nous to see what CMS requires? Everything is crossed!

Agreed. Believe it when I see it. Can't see Jones going 4-4-2. Maybe 4-3-3, with CMS to the right of Bent?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not one of those managers has played to CMS's strengths. When they do, time to judge CMS...
Playing to CMS's strengths means playing him against League One defenders. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but he just isn't that talented as a footballer, he's scored a couple of superb goals but he lacks composure, control and finishing ability to be a success in this division.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Playing to CMS's strengths means playing him against League One defenders. He's a lovely guy I'm sure but he just isn't that talented as a footballer, he's scored a couple of superb goals but he lacks composure, control and finishing ability to be a success in this division.

As I say, judge him if and when we play to his strengths. Plenty of less than super-skilled players have succeeded, even in higher divisions...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Agreed. Believe it when I see it. Can't see Jones going 4-4-2. Maybe 4-3-3, with CMS to the right of Bent?

Will be bold going 4-3-3 but could be the winning formula.

Does Jones want to go out in a blaze of glory or will he just be satisfied with us not getting beaten and go more defensive?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As I say, judge him if and when we play to his strengths. Plenty of less than super-skilled players have succeeded, even in higher divisions...

Surely when he played for Peterborough in this division they would have been playing to his strengths ? He's played 127 games in this division and he's scored 31 goals ,that's under 4 different managers. It's not about being super skilled, it's about applying the basics and that's where he falls short too often.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Will be bold going 4-3-3 but could be the winning formula.

Does Jones want to go out in a blaze of glory or will he just be satisfied with us not getting beaten and go more defensive?

TBH we need a win, not another ****ing draw! Jones might be feeling a little, errr, nervous, following Burke's departure, so may opt for a 10-0-0 formation!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely when he played for Peterborough in this division they would have been playing to his strengths ? He's played 127 games in this division and he's scored 31 goals ,that's under 4 different managers. It's not about being super skilled, it's about applying the basics and that's where he falls short too often.

TBH that scoring rate is the best we've got amongst our current strikers, I suspect! And it reflects him mostly being played as a lone striker, i.e. not to his strengths. I know you will never agree, but let's see how it works out, shall we? I'm sure that, unless he suddenly starts hitting the net regularly, he'll be gone soon enough, so that should cheer you up. We can then have the even less effective Sam B leading our line on his own. I'm sure you'll be happy then.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Similar goals/game ratio as Ashley Barnes at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here