Club's Attitude To Family Stand & Gully's Gang

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Regarding the family stand entertainment question for insider.

Just read someones moan about lack of entertainment in the family stand. Praised jugglers etc fair enough, complained about sweet prices fair enough.

But stated that the club isn't doing enough for young fans. Personally i cannot understand this. The club has made season ticket prices affordable for youngsters and given those of us in the family stand a great place to sit and enjoy the match. I know times have changed since the early 70's when i went to the Goldstone but what on earth do people expect? Disneyland?

Myself and two boys are delighted with the Amex family stand but i am becoming disillusioned with all the moaners who imho have not got a clue.

Sallys Pigtails

Nov 7, 2011
Hello Everybody,

This is my first ever posting, so please be gentle!

As a supporter of many years, the response to a question recently asked by Return of the Rev, on "Ask the club" has angered me enough to write now.

When asked about our younger supporters Insider dismissed his question by saying "the family stand is family friendly, and there is artwork and a sweetstall".

With respect, either he is not a parent or he has not been in the East Stand on a matchday.

The poster was correct in saying that the concourse is like a pub. As soon as we enter the turnstile, we are faced with large amount of men standing around drinking, which is very ironic given that as the poster also mentioned children are not allowed in Dick's Bar.

Yes there is some amazing artwork in the stand, but I had to go on a tour to see it. Normally, understandably fans stand in front of the artwork eating and drinking.

As for the sweetstall, they have to be joking. We all know that this was supposed to be a betting outlet which again seemed inappropiate for a family area. Now it is a sweetstall, the club is ripping off parents by charging high prices for their fayre. The children pester, the adults pay.

£2 for a bottle of drink, £5 for a plastic (not even glass) jar of mini football chocolates, £1.99 for a small bar of chocolate. Surely they must be joking!

Yesterday's efforts with the juggler and funny linesmen were to be commended, but lets be blunt for a family day it did not amount to much.

If the club is serious about investing in its future fans, then to put it simply it needs to properly invest in its young fans, not take them for granted.

I mean this in the way that in the past when we were desperate for young blood, the kids were given sports bags, baseball caps, watches. Now that they are tied in, this year they got a pencil, stickers, notepad and a fixture list! Sum total, about 50p each if that.

To cap things off nicely, at Withdean we used to get soaked, but then we all did. Now in a £105M stadium, against West Ham, we got absolutely soaked still. Why? How?

If we want to keep 10,000 young fans, we need to do better, otherwise we will have to do it all over again in the future.

After leaving the Goldstone a whole generation was lost. If the club is not careful all its efforts through Dick Knight in recent years will be wasted as new fans become disenchanted.

(An incensed season ticket holder in the family stand)

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Good post they do need to do more for the younger kids to keep them interested wit the rivalry of sky and the so call superstars - Interestingly enough i know alot of kids who "support" the Albiion but as a second team they all seem to support Prem clubs aswell.

Altough what would you suggest they do more of? And a syou say they left the goldstone what kept kids interested there?

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't understand what the problem is. Did you go to the Goldstone as a kid? Were you given sweets there? Did you stay completely dry?

I don't get it, as I kid I was hooked by the atmosphere and the football, not because the club gave me a baseball cap or there was a sweet stall. Quite how you can be 'incensed' by this I really don't understand. Either kids like the football, or they don't. I don't see how bribing them with sweets etc is going to make any difference to whether they become lifelong fans or not.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I remember the Goldstone as a kid. The only entertainment we got in the south stand was listening to the naughty words whilst eating a soggy cheese and onion pasty. I think its amazing all of this extra stuff the club do now. Its a football ground and the entertainment is in that. The extra stuff is a bonus. My kids loved getting their letter from Gullys gang. OK its not as much as last year but if it helps keep the clubs finances in good order for more investment in the team then thats fine by me.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The family stand is great as are the efforts of the club in terms of ticket prices and atmosphere.

I do not see what is wrong with having a bar there - why are children not allowed to witness responsible drinking? I always have a Harvey's when at the match and it would be a lesser experience if I was unable to - sorry if that makes me a bad person.

Yes the sweets are expensive - but they don't stop you bringing your own food and drink in - we should be commending the club for their efforts in my opinion.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Although I sympathise at the end of the day its a football match not an afternoon at Druzillas. As for rain short of playing indoors I don't know what else the club can do. Tony Bloom is a powerful man but he does not control the wind!

Mr C Gull

Feb 1, 2011
Souwf London
With all due respect its not a creche, its a football stadium. Given how far we have come from the goldstone or even withdean, i think you need to cut the club some slack in terms of their provisions for children.

Agree we need to encourage youngsters as they are the future of the club, but expecting the club to roll out the (mini) red carpet is a touch too far IMO.

Sallys Pigtails

Nov 7, 2011
As a child I was attracted to the atmosphere and excitement of the Goldstone, but when I went home I only had three channels on the TV to watch, and a bunch of crappy second hand toys which was all my parents could afford.

If we as a club, and fans, do not wake up and realise that things are very different for kids these days, 30 years later, then we deserve what we get.

In case some haven't noticed, on a saturday alone, children have so many other choices that we never had. Throw in X boxes, satellites with over 30 childrens channels alone, the internet, gaming in general, access to cinemas etc etc, and you realise that the 'competition' is not just premier teams, it is our new lifestyles.

Either the club appreciates it, or in a few years time when the Falmer bubble bursts, and we all know it will one day, we will end up like Coventry appearing on the football league show with a half empty/full stadium.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What do you expect the Club to do? What else can they do? Can you provide examples of Clubs that do it better?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though Gully's Gang was generally seen as being excellent, free cards, shirts, activity days with players etc.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It isn't really a good day to be slagging off the provision for kids. Yesterday the club pushed the boat out in terms of additional, free entertainment which will have cost them some money. The face painting stuff, jugglers, freestylers, refs were all appreciated. The prices are good, the younger kids love Gully etc. I'd rather not have bought a Seagull-crested bag of flying saucers, but there we go. And I have been really pleased with what they got from Gully's Gang.

At a push maybe you could make the concourse a bit more child-welcoming.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just seen the thread that inspired this, i was looking at Tapatalk and thought it was a question for insider. Still don't understand some people's expectations:(

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
The family stand is great as are the efforts of the club in terms of ticket prices and atmosphere.

I do not see what is wrong with having a bar there - why are children not allowed to witness responsible drinking? I always have a Harvey's when at the match and it would be a lesser experience if I was unable to - sorry if that makes me a bad person.

Yes the sweets are expensive - but they don't stop you bringing your own food and drink in - we should be commending the club for their efforts in my opinion.

I was going to say, interesting and insightful post from the orginal person, but reading what Horse Arse just said, parents can't really complain. At the end of the day...People come to a Football Stadium to be entertained and ultimately that entertainment is provided on the pitch. I think its a nice touch to provide pitch entertainment on the pitch before the game now - that's a nice new addition.
When I was kid when I arrived at The Goldstone Ground, the first thing I wanted to do was to get in the stadium and watch the players warming up and to soak up the atmosphere. Maybe the kids of today want a Playstation 3 to play on arrival through the turnstiles. I'm sure Tony has the bucks to buy a few of those...!!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
To be honest if after a few games the kids are just going 'cos they get sweets and free flags etc they won't stay for long. Everyone on here can remember the feeling of unbelievable excitement when their dads took you to those first games... and it was not because we got sweets and sat in the dry...it was because of football.

Sorry.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
As a child I was attracted to the atmosphere and excitement of the Goldstone, but when I went home I only had three channels on the TV to watch, and a bunch of crappy second hand toys which was all my parents could afford.

If we as a club, and fans, do not wake up and realise that things are very different for kids these days, 30 years later, then we deserve what we get.

In case some haven't noticed, on a saturday alone, children have so many other choices that we never had. Throw in X boxes, satellites with over 30 childrens channels alone, the internet, gaming in general, access to cinemas etc etc, and you realise that the 'competition' is not just premier teams, it is our new lifestyles.

Either the club appreciates it, or in a few years time when the Falmer bubble bursts, and we all know it will one day, we will end up like Coventry appearing on the football league show with a half empty/full stadium.

Yes, true, but what do you expect to be done about it? If a child opts to play on his Xbox on a saturday, so be it, we could put an Xbox at Falmer but why on earth would parents pay another £500 a year for the priviledge, when they can do it for free at home.
I think the club make a great effort, even heard something about a free Home shirt to junior members on there 8th birthday (correct me if i get the age wrong someone). Most clubs get nothing for joining a free membership scheme, and to complain at the fact the freebies are cheap is a tad confusing. If you were paying £10/20 for this membership like pretty much EVERY Premiership club make you do, then fair enough. We have the Christmas Parties every year, and other events put on by the club to meet the players, i've seen numerous advertised for the community store on George street. Even on Sunday we had a clown, Gullys Girls, amongst other things for the kids. I became hooked at Withdean when I was about 5, the free gifts i rarely bothered to go in and get, and there was far less in terms of appealing to kids.
I haven't even mentioned the efforts of AITC yet, another part of the club aimed at youngsters who've won MANY awards, and is known for its efforts across the country. If somebody has a problem with men drinking at the football, I honestly question what you expected when taking your kids along.

Sorry if that sounds a tad harsh in reply to your original post, just my opinion.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Don't worry.
I hear plans are in place...

Attachments

• Amex pool.jpg
    Amex pool.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 116

Sallys Pigtails

Nov 7, 2011
There was no wind against West Ham. Simply the first six rows are not under cover full stop.

Yes, the club is not Drusillas. That is one of my points. Given the choice, we want parents to go to Falmer, but if they get better value for money and facilities elsewhere then we cannot be surprised.

Face painting.. No that was a young girl with a rubber stamp. Face painting is something far superior! You will see that I did actually credit the club with its effort, but yesterday was supposed to be a big part of the football leagues family weekend. In this case it was rubbish!

If children are allowed to watch 'responsible drinking' then why cannot they go in Dick's Bar?

As for somebody who DOES do it better...Cardiff City by a country mile. I was staggered when we visited there at the start of the season. They understand that they are competing in a modern world where parents and children have a hundred and one other distractions, but they ensure punters want to go there on matchday, rather than to an alternative establishment.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I don't get it, as I kid I was hooked by the atmosphere and the football, not because the club gave me a baseball cap or there was a sweet stall.

This is a good point and to be honest my 7 year lad old fits this description exactly so I am not in agreement with the OP and am not sure what they expect. I have been impressed with what the club have attempted to do at the Amex and although I agree the "goodies" have been sparcer than previous years gifts (probably due to influx of volume of new members) my three children still enjoy what they receive free gratis.

My daughter (9) attended the game with me yesterday and really enjoyed the entertainment - we saw the jugglers and footy kid, bad/mad refs and face paint etc and she did not seem to notice or be affected by men standing around drinking - I am not a boozer so this is not a common experience for her and she came through unscathed. I did manage to persuade her to give the sweet shop a miss and try a balti pie instead which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Do you have any suggestions how it could be made better for you and your family that you can communicate to the club?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports