Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club's Attitude To Family Stand & Gully's Gang

i don't understand what the problem is. Did you go to the goldstone as a kid? Were you given sweets there? Did you stay completely dry?

I don't get it, as i kid i was hooked by the atmosphere and the football, not because the club gave me a baseball cap or there was a sweet stall. Quite how you can be 'incensed' by this i really don't understand. Either kids like the football, or they don't. I don't see how bribing them with sweets etc is going to make any difference to whether they become lifelong fans or not.

i went to the goldstone as a kid and also selhurst,i dreamed of a new albion ground so we could have the family friendly social club that they had! 100 million pounds later and we are way behind cardiff and even swindon with providing facilities for our younger fans! WHAT WAS THE POINT OF BUILDING UP THE JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP JUST TO ABANDON THEM WHEN WE HAVE A PRODUCT TO SELL THEM!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fookin love the club for what they are doing for the jnr Stat's.

And they still haven't received their Gully's Gang membership, outstanding for a couple of months.

What started as 'oh flag and sweets', has turned into full on 'SEAGULLS', 'Gus Poyet's Blue & White Army'.
Gully is a hero, my 2 are straight down the front at half time.

So there's a sweet shop, £1.50, you pay it or you don't.

And then to top it all, this week they got a children's entertainer and juggler, all for £100 a year.

THANKS THE ALBION, the kids love it and so I get an even better time watching the footy.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
There was no wind against West Ham. Simply the first six rows are not under cover full stop.

Yes, the club is not Drusillas. That is one of my points. Given the choice, we want parents to go to Falmer, but if they get better value for money and facilities elsewhere then we cannot be surprised.

Face painting.. No that was a young girl with a rubber stamp. Face painting is something far superior! You will see that I did actually credit the club with its effort, but yesterday was supposed to be a big part of the football leagues family weekend. In this case it was rubbish!

If children are allowed to watch 'responsible drinking' then why cannot they go in Dick's Bar?

As for somebody who DOES do it better...Cardiff City by a country mile. I was staggered when we visited there at the start of the season. They understand that they are competing in a modern world where parents and children have a hundred and one other distractions, but they ensure punters want to go there on matchday, rather than to an alternative establishment.

If you are looking for a fun family day out that caters for the kids then I would suggest Druzillas would be a better choice... do bare in mind that you may get wet if it rains though!!

I am sorry to sound argumentative but this all seems so indicative of the 'modern' football fan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good post they do need to do more for the younger kids to keep them interested wit the rivalry of sky and the so call superstars - Interestingly enough i know alot of kids who "support" the Albiion but as a second team they all seem to support Prem clubs aswell.

In comparison, what do Huddersfield Town do for their young fans?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
As for somebody who DOES do it better...Cardiff City by a country mile. I was staggered when we visited there at the start of the season. They understand that they are competing in a modern world where parents and children have a hundred and one other distractions, but they ensure punters want to go there on matchday, rather than to an alternative establishment.

What did they do, you've not mentioned anything, i'm just intrigued to find out.

I stick by what I said, and fail to see what else the club can do. You've even complained about the face painting, during a sell out football fixture, with probable massive demand, its hardly going to be Banksy sat on a stool painting faces is it.

What do you expect the Club to do? What else can they do? Can you provide examples of Clubs that do it better?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though Gully's Gang was generally seen as being excellent, free cards, shirts, activity days with players etc.

why can't we do the better for our young fans! it wasfalmer for all how many clubs have 15,000 junior members lets make it 20,000!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The Albion is a football club, you buy your season ticket to watch the Albion play and that's it whether you are 6 or 60. If you want clowns , jugglers, happy meals or other such shite then f*** off somewhere else that caters for such crap.

f*** me, a £100million ground playing some of the best football we have seen in years and morons still complain.

The Albion is a football club, you buy your season ticket to watch the Albion play and that's it whether you are 6 or 60. If you want clowns , jugglers, happy meals or other such shite then f*** off somewhere else that caters for such crap.

f*** me, a £100million ground playing some of the best football we have seen in years and morons still complain.

but if you want real ale and pies and tvs then thats a different matter:facepalm: the kids are bored stupid while the adults....:facepalm: i give up lets just stick a beer tent up on the pitch and ban anyone not old enough to drink!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
In comparison, what do Huddersfield Town do for their young fans?

Junior terriers or something but not a great deal on Match day as far as i'm aware, so by comparison Albion do a good job.

Clubs have a difficult job getting kids interested to be honest, You can only do so much.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was prepared to give the OP some leeway, but you're just going to have to accept your views are at odds with the vast majority of people who have come into contact with the club's policy towards kids. That's a fact. You don't even sound as if you like/are there to see the football, which has to be the central thing. It isn't an afternoon in a soft-play area. All the other stuff is brilliant and helps keep them interested.

Even if there is room for improvement (and there always is) give them a break, we've only been in the stadium a few months and things can be tweaked. And if you'd asked about rain at your tour, they'd have told you to pick about Row G and backwards if you're more than averagely bothered about a bit of rain on the rare occasions the wind was blowing in the wrong direction.

Seriously, people like you really annoy me. The club went to a lot of trouble yesterday, and all you can do is whinge that it's the 'wrong' sort of face painting.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a football ground, where football matches take place. Give the kids a pie, sit them in the seat, and tell them to watch the match. If they don't like it, don't take them again.

Junior terriers or something but not a great deal on Match day as far as i'm aware, so by comparison Albion do a good job.

Clubs have a difficult job getting kids interested to be honest, You can only do so much.

junior terriers do play small sided games against other fans prematch! my son played against them prior to an albion game! great idea!

I don't understand what the problem is. Did you go to the Goldstone as a kid? Were you given sweets there? Did you stay completely dry?

I don't get it, as I kid I was hooked by the atmosphere and the football, not because the club gave me a baseball cap or there was a sweet stall. Quite how you can be 'incensed' by this I really don't understand. Either kids like the football, or they don't. I don't see how bribing them with sweets etc is going to make any difference to whether they become lifelong fans or not.

My son is hooked by the atmosphere...only issue is trying to get tickets for him. Very annoying when I see empty seats in the ground...please can we get a ticket Exchange sorted

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
junior terriers do play small sided games against other fans prematch! my son played against them prior to an albion game! great idea!

I have seen that on the rare occasion i've been along to watch Huddersfield - That could be a good idea to get a bit of crowd interaction as well

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The club went to a lot of trouble yesterday, and all you can do is whinge that it's the 'wrong' sort of face painting.

Yup, strikes me as a weird kind of thing to moan about. Whatever next? The man making balloon dogs for the kids could only do one kind of dog and even that didn't look anything like any dog breed known to man? Bloom OUT! :angry:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
people blindly jump to the defence of the club £5 pound for sweets is not a rip off its out and out robbery
as is paying £55 for a shoddy replica shirt that falls to piece's within a month im in agreement with the op i think there are quite a few things that need to be sorted out But as soon as someone posts on here everyman and his dog jumps on their back
I for one wil lnot be buying my son another brighton replica shirt next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here