Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club say : Please don't park in Mouslecomb and Coldean!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Genuine question - can your travels include trains or buses? Seems like a nightmare to drive all the way.

Give it up FFS.

People have cars. People want to drive. This isn't a Green Party sounding board.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok taking out who is on the planning committee and what they might / will do and starting with a blank piece of paper my point is why should this be an issue? I grew up in Poets Corner when we were getting 20/30k at the Goldstone and our road was rammed with legally parked cars every home Saturday. My parents never complained about it and certainly no-one thought about charging the club for a parking zone. I know this sort of stuff is going to happen but my point is it's ridiculous.

So, who are you complaining about? The residents, the parkers, the club, or the council?

Additionally, there weren't half the cars on the road 30 years ago than there are now. That counts for a lot nowadays when you're considering parking allocation.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remain to be convinced that the residents are the prime movers in this.

Seems to me it's probably a case of some mischief-making council busybody standing at the doorstep with a clipboard asking some leading question like 'Are all these disgusting, ozone-busting cars owned by nasty football fans ruining your life?' while standing there nodding like some demented dog.

If they asked people a different question like 'Are you prepared to put up with this 23 times a year, when the alternative is a controlled zone that would make things harder for your visiting friends and family', the answer would be different.

If I'm wrong and they are bothered, they can ask for a proper controlled zone, and if they have a case, they'll get one. I don't see why the club should pay for this either, if the council think it's needed for some of their constituency, they should pay.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I get a train and it works perfectly for me. So much so that I really can't understand why so many able-bodied people feel it's impossible to leave their car at home.

However, these type of arguments really hack me off. Why are football fans always treated as some sort of offshoot of society? We are part of the community - and a pretty substantial part too. I don't have to justify my parking for any other entertainment or activity so why should the Albion be any different? I think there should be a very tough ticketing and tow-away policy for anybody parked in a dangerous or inconvenient spot but, beyond that, let people get on with it. If they have road tax, they have paid to park on whatever public road they want.

This anti football supporter mentality is a relic of the 80s which really should be challenged. While they're at it, they should consider relaxing the alcohol regulations on a case by case basis. It is utterly ludicrous in the friendly environment that generally prevails these days that all sections of every ground are barred from having a beer within sight of the pitch - everyone chugging them down 20 yards away instead.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, who are you complaining about? The residents, the parkers, the club, or the council?

Additionally, there weren't half the cars on the road 30 years ago than there are now. That counts for a lot nowadays when you're considering parking allocation.

Archer and Bellotti for selling the Goldstone, Baker and the LDC for making it so hard for us to get a new one, NIMBYs, a Green council hell bent on spending on controlled parking zones and cycle lanes when Sure Start centres are closing and teachers are facing redundancy, cats, foul smelling tramps, the weather and forks with oddly sized handles. I could go on, I frequently do.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
The club statement says: "The Council are counting the number of vehicles parked outside of the authorised areas". Fine.

Maybe they should also do a count up at 7pm on any day of the week in the Coldean area? The difference I suspect will be minimal. They should also take note of the vehicles that are illegally parked on verges etc on an evening when The Albion aren't playing.

If the nearby neighbourhoods were in gridlock with illegally parked cars everywhere on a match day, I could see where those who are complaining are coming from. It isn't though. This whole parking issue has been blown out of all proportion by a very few noisy neighbours who aren't representative of the majority plus a council who by the nature of their politics, are always going to be anti car.

For the record, I've parked in Coldean three times this season when running late. I've gone out of my way to make sure I park legally. I usually use the train which works for me.

Ok taking out who is on the planning committee and what they might / will do and starting with a blank piece of paper my point is why should this be an issue? I grew up in Poets Corner when we were getting 20/30k at the Goldstone and our road was rammed with legally parked cars every home Saturday. My parents never complained about it and certainly no-one thought about charging the club for a parking zone. I know this sort of stuff is going to happen but my point is it's ridiculous.

I think it probably comes down to the underlying premise on which stadium planning consent was granted - sustainable transport. The Club proposed to implement steward "policing", as at Withdean, to deter on-street parking in adjacent areas and this was agreed. In addition, it was obliged to monitor/record the amount of such parking in Moulsecomb; I understand that the Council may already have a "residents parking only" back-up plan for Moulsecomb that dates back to the previous Conservative administration.
The validity of comparing private car traffic today with that 20-30 years ago has already been mentioned by TLO but the club's own data submitted with the extension application show there to be an additional 500-600 cars currently being parked in North Moulsecomb and Coldean on matchdays (approx 50:50). I seems to me that these data show the club's informal efforts to have been unsuccessful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here