Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club say : Please don't park in Mouslecomb and Coldean!

What's the deal with a new park and ride site? It seems to me that Mill Road is packed, so rather than trying to find somewhere totally different, is there any effort to get somewhere else quite near it?

The current spare capacity is at Brighton Racecourse. If an additional site is to be opened, it is expected to be "towards Lewes". There's no clear indication of exactly where, though.

Extract from the Transport Assessment, submitted by the Club:-

Existing Park and Ride Facilities

8.5.1 Condition 42 of the Stadium consent includes the requirement to confirm the capacity,
location and management of Park & Ride sites.

8.5.2 In this regard, the park and rides sites used in association with the Withdean Stadium,
namely Mill Road and Mithras House, have continued to be used in association with the
Amex Stadium. In addition, an application to formalise land areas at Brighton Racecourse
for use as a remote park and ride facility for up to 700 spaces was granted a temporary
consent in 2011. It is intended to renew this permission on a permanent basis.

8.5.3 Considering the existing park and ride facilities, the Mill Road and Mithras House park
and rides sites are currently operating at capacity. However, over the three survey days,
a maximum 284 vehicles was observed to use the park and ride facility at the
Racecourse, which is less than half the 700 spaces that are available.

8.5.4 Based on the average occupancy of vehicles visiting the Racecourse P&R site of around
2.7 supporters per vehicle, the full utilisation of this facility would cater for an additional
1,100 supporters.

8.5.5 Importantly, the surveys also established that the existing park and ride buses are not,
themselves, currently filled to capacity before travelling from the park and ride site to the
Stadium. As such, it is anticipated that very few additional park and ride bus movements
would be required to transport the additional supporters that could visit this park and
ride facility and, consequently, there would be very few, if any, additional movements on
the local highway network in the vicinity of the site network.

8.5.6 However, even if it were assumed that the full utilisation of this facility would require
further bus movements to transport the additional supporters, given that the park and
ride buses can accommodate over 80 supporters, the full utilisation would result in a
maximum of only 14 (i.e. 1100/80) additional park and ride bus journeys.

8.5.7 For robustness, the analysis has assumed that these additional bus movements would
occur between the Racecourse and Stadium as a result of the full utilisation of this park
and ride facility, and these are shown in Figure 6.

Potential Future Park and Ride Facility

8.5.8 In addition to the existing park and ride sites at Mithras House, Mill Road and the
Racecourse, it is also anticipated that, should in the future, parking no longer be
available at Bennett’s Field, an additional park and ride facility or facilities may be
required as part of the amendments to the transport strategy required in association with
an extension to the stadium.

8.5.9 In this regard, it is assumed that up to 1,000 additional park and ride spaces could be
provided, which based on the occupancy levels observed at the existing facilities, would
be likely to accommodate around 2,700 supporters.

8.5.10 We consider that delivery of an additional, appropriately located, park and ride site or
parking facility offers the clear potential to be able to reduce trip lengths and ensure only
a modest intensification of transport usage in close proximity to the Stadium. Delivery of
such a park and ride facility can either be effected by using an existing facility which has
consent for such an operation already or by securing an explicit planning permission to
deliver a new facility.

8.5.11 Notwithstanding that delivery of an additional park and ride facility may require a further
planning application, we consider that, in order to fully advise the highway authorities on
the current extension proposals, the analysis has assumed that an additional 1,000 space
park and ride facility would be provided, which would result in additional bus
movements.

8.5.12 Based on a capacity of 80 people per bus, an additional 2,700 supporters would require
34 bus movements. For the purpose of the analysis, it is assumed that half of these trips
would occur during the hour immediately before kick-off.

8.5.13 Given that such a facility would be likely to be provided towards Lewes, it is also
assumed these trips would originate from the east of the site and would be routed along
the A27.

8.5.14 Figure 7 shows the trips associated with bus movements that could occur as a result of
an additional 1,000 space park and ride site.

If someone pays the costs (including enforcement costs), I'm sure they would. Normally it's the residents who pay (through permit charges). It's theoretically possible to get someone else to pay (for example the Football Club) - but this could cost tens of thousands of pounds each year. If I was a resident and the option was given to me, I know what I'd choose.

Did you notice that the club asked for potential costs etc in their submission a few weeks ago?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I shall continue parking in Coldean. Much as I support the club and would like to see the extra seats, I don't do P&R and the train is not convenient. Nothing wrong with parking in Coldean providing you don't block people's driveways. And the 20 min walk to and from the stadium is good exercise.

Having cars parked in your neighbourhood 23 times a year for around 3 hours at a time is not exactly the end of the effing world.

Good job we don't ALL take that attitude then eh.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm VERY surprised anyone parks in Coldean when there's limitless space much closer to the stadium in Moulsecoobe. I've only parked in Moulsecoomb 3 times when I've been running late or needed to get away quickly; the rest of the time I get the bus or walk (in itself saving the club money). The alternative, for the games where I have to drive, is not show up. Would you prefer that [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]?

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Mill Road is FULL by 2p.m. and 6.30 in the evenings at the latest. Now the extra overflow spaces which had been used are being removed - apparently! If you weren't at the front of a bus when the announcement was made you wouldn't know that - not that the club appears to give a damn! It's fine for the Insider to suggest that people from the north and west of sussex go to the Race Hill or Mithras House (oh no - that's full as well!) Has he seen the traffic trying to get off the A27 or A23 from 1.30 or 6P.M. onwards? Has he sat for up to 30 minutes on a bus at 6.15 p.m. to go from Mill Road to Falmer? Does the club really know what the traffic is like? I suugest the answer is NO! They actually don't have a clue, nor do they appear to care! Not everybody can leave at 4.30 or earlier to get to evening games if they live anywhere outside of the Brighton area. Oh yes- 80 people on a bus - maybe on a bendy bus but on the single decker geriatric coaches used at time on Mill Road - no chance! I'm sorry, the stadium is great but the park and ride facility for many is not. And that's before 8000 more people try to get to games!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm VERY surprised anyone parks in Coldean when there's limitless space much closer to the stadium in Moulsecoobe. I've only parked in Moulsecoomb 3 times when I've been running late or needed to get away quickly; the rest of the time I get the bus or walk (in itself saving the club money). The alternative, for the games where I have to drive, is not show up. Would you prefer that [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]?

Course not. I'd just prefer it if people toed the clubs line with this, otherwise it could jeapordise the expansion.

Saturdays I always get the train. For the first few evening games I used to take the car straight from work and park somewhere up Park Road, being as it was a handy 20 minute walk from there. Now though, I take the car home and then train straight in. Sure it takes a bit longer to get away afterwards as a result, but nothing too drastic.

If the park & rides are rammed, then the next best thing is park and train. Theres plenty of street parking within a short walking distance of *most* stations.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Thanks for that Lord Bracknell, very interesting. So it seems the club's mind is made up that if a new P&R site is created it will be east of the stadium. That's not going to do much to help the fact Mill Road is currently packed and people are being turned away 90 minutes before kick-off. It's also not going to help the extra 8,000, the majority of which you have to presume will come from Brighton/the north. I think people to the east are already well served, because they have half the trains to themselves, as well as normal buses, and the potential to use the Racehill/Mithras House. If I had to position a new P&R site, I'd suggest it needs to go in north Brighton. What happened to the idea of using the top of Carden Avenue?
Agreed. All of the signs are that any extra P&R capacity is needed West/North of the ground, not to the East where the existing spaces are underused. Is there not a field/land somewhere near the A23 around Pyecombe which could be used? That would certainly take pressure off Mill Road. It's all very well going on about how 'green' the transport plan is, but there's nothing environmentally friendly about making 2000 cars queue for 2 miles past where they are intending to go just to take a bus back again. To me that's just madness.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I live in moulsecoomb and there are plenty of cars parked around the estate on match days but as many of us agree, as long as thier not parking over residents driveways and have tax, insurance and the car has its mot. they should be able to park where they want, imo

I live in North Moulsecoomb, and I agree entirely. You can park right outside my house for all I care, as long as my drive is not covered. Why would I moan about fellow Albion fans parking sensibly?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I live in North Moulsecoomb, and I agree entirely. You can park right outside my house for all I care, as long as my drive is not covered. Why would I moan about fellow Albion fans parking sensibly?

Good to see some sensible and reasonable comments from residents.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There are only a few, albeit a noisy few, who consider the Amex an alien place. One prominet resident considers that the walkway from the starium to the school road should be closed, not giving much though to those Moulsecoomb folk who do want to watch the Albion. Some also forget that the stadium provides employment for locals as well as place to have a 3 course meal for under a £10.00!

Back on subject though, how about using some of the carparking sites on Crowhust Road? Also how about Corals Stadium? Both have easy acces via the bypass.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks for that Lord Bracknell, very interesting. So it seems the club's mind is made up that if a new P&R site is created it will be east of the stadium. That's not going to do much to help the fact Mill Road is currently packed and people are being turned away 90 minutes before kick-off. It's also not going to help the extra 8,000, the majority of which you have to presume will come from Brighton/the north. I think people to the east are already well served, because they have half the trains to themselves, as well as normal buses, and the potential to use the Racehill/Mithras House. If I had to position a new P&R site, I'd suggest it needs to go in north Brighton. What happened to the idea of using the top of Carden Avenue?

I come from the North and use Mithras .. it's a bit of a pain tbh but preferable (for me) than Mill Rd. If a new P&R goes in to the East it may not be too bad. The off ramp at Falmer from the West is horrid and any more traffic coming in from the North/West is going to make it worse. If to the East and pretty close I'd almost prefer to drive past the stadium, park up and then my bus will bring me in to the stadium against a lot of the traffic. Mind you if I have to drive into Lewes it defeats the object.

Also hoping they find a better way of dropping fans off before the game ... a dedicated P&R pull off point on the A27 with a footbridge over would save a whole lot of congestion and doesn't feel like it would cost a fortune.

I've asked the club numerous times to consult and seek feedback from those that have to experience it ... no suggestion that they are particularly interested in doing so, which really does make me question the level of interest

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm surprised more people don't use the Sussex Uni car park.

Have to say the train is working very well for me. I caught the 14:04 from Hove yesterday and was at Falmer with no hassle just after 14:30. Return leg was slightly more taxing as I ran with a stomach full of beer and pie to catch a train which had just pulled in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excuse my ignorance...i take it you have to pay for this?

Yes. I cannot remember the cost, 300-400 a season I think. But, split by 4 people it's a reasonable price per match.

Pre-match, a far more efficient drop-off point for fans using the P&R services from Mill Road and Mithras House would be the bus stop outside Falmer Station. That would involve buses doing a U-turn via the Falmer fly-over and dropping passengers off at a point where the buses could make a quick getaway straight back to the P&R site to make another run. The result would be more bus capacity for the P&R services, without having to hire in extra buses.

It would also reduce congestion in the vicinity of the coach park / Bennett's Field car park entrance.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pre-match, a far more efficient drop-off point for fans using the P&R services from Mill Road and Mithras House would be the bus stop outside Falmer Station. That would involve buses doing a U-turn via the Falmer fly-over and dropping passengers off at a point where the buses could make a quick getaway straight back to the P&R site to make another run. The result would be more bus capacity for the P&R services, without having to hire in extra buses.

It would also reduce congestion in the vicinity of the coach park / Bennett's Field car park entrance.

Yes and no.

As someone who has taken the No.25 (goes into UoS), and the No.28 (goes up the slip road into Falmer Village), the slip road is very congested, almost to a standstill.

I'd suggest dropping them off at the entrance of UoS (effectively following the No.25 route), then the empty buses doing their 'u-turn' via the UoS exit. It doesn't necessarily speed up the bus turnaround, but it does mean an earlier drop-off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here