Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club say : Please don't park in Mouslecomb and Coldean!

The permits were £360 for 2011/12 and according to the club survey data submitted in support of the expansion planning application there are 400 unused spaces.
There's also a problem that Sussex University restrict the use of some of the campus car parks when it is an evening kick-off.

The Transport Assessment that accompanies the planning application for the extra seats makes it clear that the ONLY way that 8,000 extra fans can be accommodated is if ALL available parking is fully utilised. If price is deterring people from using the Sussex University campus, the Club needs to reduce charges.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The permits were £360 for 2011/12 and according to the club survey data submitted in support of the expansion planning application there are 400 unused spaces.

I got there pretty late - c2:30ish - and I'm not sure where the other spaces were. I had to drive all the way to what seemed to be the top of the campus and park in Car Park 1.

Yes and no.

As someone who has taken the No.25 (goes into UoS), and the No.28 (goes up the slip road into Falmer Village), the slip road is very congested, almost to a standstill.

I'd suggest dropping them off at the entrance of UoS (effectively following the No.25 route), then the empty buses doing their 'u-turn' via the UoS exit. It doesn't necessarily speed up the bus turnaround, but it does mean an earlier drop-off.
From the passengers' point of view, you are right. I'm thinking also of the bus operators' point of view and trying to cut costs / improve operational efficiency.

I had a conversation about this some months back with B&H Buses' Operations Manager. He said that the only reason the P&R buses use the route that they currently do (with all the attendant delays) is that this is the route that has been agreed in the Travel Management Plan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got there pretty late - c2:30ish - and I'm not sure where the other spaces were. I had to drive all the way to what seemed to be the top of the campus and park in Car Park 1.

You will have driven past small car parks 5,4 and 3 on your right just after entering and then the larger car park 2 was on your left as you went up a hill and circled it anti-clockwise before dropping into 1. Apart from the entrance you can't see car park 2 very well as its obscured by trees and buildings.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes ... I recall £300/season .. probably wrong but recall the price putting me off

and will they reduce that by £30 at least next season considering you are covering the voucher system..its only me in the vehicle and i have to leave it late because of work...so too much which is a pity

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Have to agree with Rugrat's comments about the club's lack of interest in consulting with fans. Questionnaires given out at the entrances, on the Park and Ride buses, car parks etc. to establish how people get to games, etc. wouldn't take much organising but the club has shown no desire to do anything. It hardly encourages an optimistic view about how the extra 8000 are to get to the stadium!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to agree with Rugrat's comments about the club's lack of interest in consulting with fans. Questionnaires given out at the entrances, on the Park and Ride buses, car parks etc. to establish how people get to games, etc. wouldn't take much organising but the club has shown no desire to do anything. It hardly encourages an optimistic view about how the extra 8000 are to get to the stadium!

What questions do you think supporters should be asked?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What questions do you think supporters should be asked?

Well they could ask for views, "tell us about your experience". They could ask for ideas, most would not be worth bothering with but some may just be valid. They could hold an invitation or first come first served feedback forum on a monthly or bi monthly basis to get a view from "their customers" as to the quality of the service and what might be done. They might do none of that and simply post on the website what they were planning and what they had eliminated from their thinking.

I could go on

Unfortunately as they are in a monopoly position, meaning "well go support someone else if you don't like it" I'm less than optimistic any of this will happen and any plans to improve transport will be to satisfy the planners and not the people that have to endure it

Rant over!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I would be amazed if Race Hill has much spare capacity. Seems pretty full to me unless they are going to open up another field. I used to use Mithras but the jouney times to the Amex is now so long and the queues afterwards are for anyone from the West Stand 20 to 30 minutes. So I switched to the Racecourse but whilst the drive in is fine (with lovely views over the Channel and Downs) the Q after is getting longer and longer. If the new seats in the East go in then folks from there will get to P & R first delaying further those in other stands. Would love to use a new P & R east of Falmer but where the heck could that be? Cannot see anything along the A 27 corridor.
As a supporter would love to see the Amex grow but dread to think of the time it will take to get to and from the match.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
FFS - what a load of moaning about around 28 days a year (saying we have 5 home cup games) when this actually affects anyone

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That this is an issue is ridiculous. IMO if you park legally close to the ground that's fine and if you park illegally you should be fined / clamped / towed. Just the same as if you park illegally close to a theatre / shopping centre / rave. Really why is football being singled out? I don't really care what we have legally agreed to or what we need to be seen to be saying to let the Green idiots give us permission to fill in the corners. The common sense answer is surely that legal street parking remains legal and illegal street parking is dealt with as just that and not illegal football street parking.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
That this is an issue is ridiculous. IMO if you park legally close to the ground that's fine and if you park illegally you should be fined / clamped / towed. Just the same as if you park illegally close to a theatre / shopping centre / rave. Really why is football being singled out? I don't really care what we have legally agreed to or what we need to be seen to be saying to let the Green idiots give us permission to fill in the corners. The common sense answer is surely that legal street parking remains legal and illegal street parking is dealt with as just that and not illegal football street parking.
More or less agree with this. It sometimes gets busy near me if there's a wedding at the nearby church, or even a house-party nearby - but if they're all parked legally, so what?

The last time the Club issued a questionnaire about travel to games at the Amex, they failed to mention the option of driving to a nearby car park.

Hasn't stopped the club quoting a figure for this option, supposedly from said survey, in the current planning application though. Reminds me of the "All away fans will travel to the Amex by coach" chestnut that MP was still spouting at the Racecourse P&R Planning Committee meeting last June.

1) Planning consent will be granted (or rejected) by the Council's Planning Committee; the Green Party does not have a majority on the PC.
2) Fair enough comment about on-street parking, that's what appears to have been going on in Coldean and North Moulsecomb since last August with a 22,500 capacity. Just the sort of approach that will lead to the PC implementing and enforcing (at the club's expense) some form of legalised Residents Only parking scheme on matchdays.

There's also a problem that Sussex University restrict the use of some of the campus car parks when it is an evening kick-off.
The Transport Assessment that accompanies the planning application for the extra seats makes it clear that the ONLY way that 8,000 extra fans can be accommodated is if ALL available parking is fully utilised. If price is deterring people from using the Sussex University campus, the Club needs to reduce charges.

Sure, but this isn't apparent in the Planning Application is it? Neither is the use of UoS spaces for staff parking, or where else 1,000 or so staff can/will park.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1) Planning consent will be granted (or rejected) by the Council's Planning Committee; the Green Party does not have a majority on the PC.
2) Fair enough comment about on-street parking, that's what appears to have been going on in Coldean and North Moulsecomb since last August with a 22,500 capacity. Just the sort of approach that will lead to the PC implementing and enforcing (at the club's expense) some form of legalised Residents Only parking scheme on matchdays.

Ok taking out who is on the planning committee and what they might / will do and starting with a blank piece of paper my point is why should this be an issue? I grew up in Poets Corner when we were getting 20/30k at the Goldstone and our road was rammed with legally parked cars every home Saturday. My parents never complained about it and certainly no-one thought about charging the club for a parking zone. I know this sort of stuff is going to happen but my point is it's ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here