Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Have you been on the stadium tour? When I did they mentioned on a number of occasions that Gus had lots of input into how certain parts of the stadium were constructed, such as the curved dressing room, and the positive images around the dressing room area.

Not sure it justifies the statement above, but he did play an active role.

Should have stuck to interior design???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Best thing that can happen now is that Poyet lands a job as quickly as possible. If he's left at home to stew on it, he may as well take a gamble on winning some compensation for unfair dismissal in court.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
They are still entitled to make a statement, especially when they are backing their clients integrity. It will also stand him in good stead for future employment.
Surely even the fans who didn't like him can be gracious in victory? Onwards & upwards with Oscar.

I have seen nothing to suggest that Poyet was not able to put his case, nor not allowed legal representation. In fact, denying him either would mean he would be certain to win at an employment tribunal were he to claim unfair dismissal.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would suspect that the Gross Misconduct may have been the angry email that he sent to all AITC & BHA staff, that ended up leaking to the press.

Moaning about the changing room incident and clap banners ruining the atmosphere. If he had a problem he should have dealt with his concerns in confindence with his employers, not all the staff.

Bloom knew that Gus may either leave or hang himself at the end of the season and he was ready to put his contingency plan into action. As soon as the Gus email went out, Bloom couldn't believe his luck that he put the noose around his own kneck and jumped.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
in fairness though as his union rep he is unlikely to say gus was bang to rights

Indeed. The key questions here are, does he deny the charges, or has he admitted to things that he doesn't believe are gross misconduct.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Have you been on the stadium tour? When I did they mentioned on a number of occasions that Gus had lots of input into how certain parts of the stadium were constructed, such as the curved dressing room, and the positive images around the dressing room area.

Not sure it justifies the statement above, but he did play an active role.
Allowing him to play an active role with input on key areas of the stadium makes his downfall even sadder. Tony Bloom gave the man just about everything he asked for during construction of The Amex. He was also involved in designing the new training facilities being built. Again, Tony Bloom appears to have shown tremendous faith in a manager, assuming he'd be around for a while. Instead, he started touting himself about numerous times when he should have kept quiet. Not exactly what TB expected I bet. No surprise that the end, when it came, was messy.

Gus has gone for reasons we'll find out at some point (GP is unlikely to remain quiet for ever so expect him to break cover eventually). In the meantime, let's hope we can all move on now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have seen nothing to suggest that Poyet was not able to put his case, nor not allowed legal representation. In fact, denying him either would mean he would be certain to win at an employment tribunal were he to claim unfair dismissal.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it.

I don't understand your post. I said that the LMA were entitled to make a statement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The club might not being saying much but Gus can talk, suspect we may hear his side soon which could force the club to respond. As said, no confidentiality clauses here

Indeed and if Gus thinks he's been wronged he'll talk ( as I'm sure any of us would ).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
agreed never has a manager made me so happy and so angry - thanks for the memories Gus. Now do us all a favour and move on.

This. Shame about the end, but what an AMAZING ride.

Too true. We'll probably never know whether he was infuriating to work with and manage, and how many people he rubbed up the wrong way. Personally, it appears to me that the club is probably pulling back from too much slack it gave Gus in terms of signings and salaries. Can't have been easy stretching for him like that, then just getting moaned at publicly. What a ride though, still sad to see him gone, but have to assume there really was no alternative.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
League Managers Association statement - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7235.html

LMA STATEMENT ISSUED REGARDING GUS POYET

The LMA has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, further to Brighton & Hove Albion FC failing to uphold his appeal against dismissal.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan said, “I am really very surprised that the Club has made the decision to dispense with the services of such an outstanding football manager as Gus Poyet.

“Gus has an excellent record of success with the Club, as can be seen from the statistics set out below. We have every faith in Gus’s integrity and have been impressed with the manner in which he has conducted himself during what, for him, has been an extremely difficult period.

“We have supported Gus throughout the disciplinary process and will continue to do so as required. We do not consider that the charges against him amounted to gross misconduct. Gus will now reflect on the outcome and discuss options with the legal team. It would, therefore, not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time”.

Gus Poyet stats:
• At the time of his departure Poyet was the 6th longest serving manager in English football.
• Poyet joined Brighton in November 2009 with the Club in a relegation battle in League One - they were in the relegation zone.
• He achieved promotion and a league title in his first full season as a manager.
• He was later recognised by his peers in the division, as the managers of League One voted him as the Manager of the Year for 2011.
• In 2011/12, Poyet won the Football Managers Outstanding Managerial Achievement Award at the Football League Awards.
• He enjoyed an excellent first season in the nPower Championship, achieving a 10th place finish.
• In 2012/13, he guided Brighton to the play-offs after finishing 4th in the Championship.
• Their fourth place this year is the Club's highest finish since 1983 - ie in 30 years.
• He has won 3 Manager of the Month awards during his time in charge.
• Also during his time in charge, the Club moved into the new Amex Stadium - at a cost of £93 million.
• His overall record with Brighton stands as follows:
o Played 194
o Won 86
o Drawn 59
o Lost 49
o Win ratio - 44.3%

That's a union clutching at straws.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
What you have written is twaddle my friend. It was the third to last game of the season, and the play-off places hadn't been decided at that point. I probably wouldn't have gone 'if there was nothing riding on it'. The 2-2 draw, aided by the GK's gaffe for one of the goals effectively ended our play-off push. I concede that other teams results went in their favour over the last three games, but GP wasn't to know that would happen, as they would have been in the future. Still no reason to play a duff stopper :eek:

As it happens we didnt win our next 2 games and even if we won the lot, we STILL wouldnt have got into the places so its irrelevant. Still, our loss was strangely our gain from the Barsnley game last season where, well Gonzalez flopped again !! If anything we didnt grab a winner because of a certain Mr Kooshack !!

And duff stopper ? It was his first game !! For all we knew he could have been amazing, like how Kooshack has been !!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
talking to other clubs is gross misconduct

I suspect if this does continue, this may go to the courts rather than an industrial tribunal, under contract rather than employment law. Anybody who is fixed term rather than a 'permanent' employee is open to use that route.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
As it happens we didnt win our next 2 games and even if we won the lot, we STILL wouldnt have got into the places so its irrelevant. Still, our loss was strangely our gain from the Barsnley game last season where, well Gonzalez flopped again !! If anything we didnt grab a winner because of a certain Mr Kooshack !!

And duff stopper ? It was his first game !! For all we knew he could have been amazing, like how Kooshack has been !!

No, it's not irrelevant, except in your blinkered hindsight. Before KO at that match we had three games to go, as did our play-off chasing rivals, so no-one knew what the outcome of all of our/their three games would be. On that basis, my argument that to play an inexperienced GK in such an important fixture was an error of judgement stands, and I should imagine it didn't escape Mr. Bloom's notice either...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, it's not irrelevant, except in your blinkered hindsight. Before KO at that match we had three games to go, as did our play-off chasing rivals, so no-one knew what the outcome of all of our/their three games would be. On that basis, my argument that to play an inexperienced GK in such an important fixture was an error of judgement, and I should imagine it didn't escape Mr. Bloom's notice either...

He's blinkered? We'd lost the previous 3 games, and a draw stopped the rot.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What you have written is twaddle my friend. It was the third to last game of the season, and the play-off places hadn't been decided at that point. I probably wouldn't have gone 'if there was nothing riding on it'. The 2-2 draw, aided by the GK's gaffe for one of the goals effectively ended our play-off push. I concede that other teams results went in their favour over the last three games, but GP wasn't to know that would happen, as they would have been in the future. Still no reason to play a duff stopper :eek:

Don't forget when he dissapeared down the tunnel with 5 minutes of a game remaining when we were also still in with a shout of the playoffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here