Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Anthem

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Keep Sussex but here's an idea. As the ground seem to start the Seagulls chant only when a seagull flies over, how about getting a remote controlled seagull and fly it over during the game. Could also have a bomb department!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dah dah dah dah de dah
Dah dah dah dah de dah
Dah de dah de dah
Dah de dah de dah
For Sussex by the sea

Close?

I prefer the East Sussex version of "der der der der der der der ... " :lol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's not hard to learn the words! Do people not have the internet?

As an aside, I'd like schools to teach the song from an early age. Induce a bit of Sussex pride.

Can't do that! You will have some idiots saying it will upset minorities etc :(

Yes, I agree, we desperately need to start stripping away the history and tradition of the club.

Also, i quite like the colour purple, maybe we should change the kit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, I agree, we desperately need to start stripping away the history and tradition of the club.

I like it too, both the film and Alice Walker's book.

What's it got to do with our kit?

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I remember singing Molly Malone in the old North Stand! And Daisy, Bless (****) 'em all, Show me the way to go home, and many others. Our modern support is truly shocking in respect of songs. My daughter now lives in Manchester and goes to Old Trafford. She has remarked on how much better and more inventive the Man U fans are when compared to Brighton fans - and they're supposed to be all plastic day-trippers from Surrey.

And re your point on 'which cup should it be?' Norman Wisdom's Albion-specific words are: 'Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup'. 'Going up to win the cup' doesn't make sense as as you have realised. I just wish all the morons who sing 'to win the cup' could also stop and think about it. Thinking about it though I guess that's the reason we don't sing more songs: most people struggle to master the few lines of the one we DO have.

Going up to win the cup? Nah. This replaces possibly the most inspiring line in the anthem. Try " you can tell them all that we STAND OR FALL"

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, perhaps we should get a Barbershop quartet to come up with something totally different.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As she wheeled her barrow thru the streets broad and narrow or as I go a wondering along the Shoreham road. Tip toe thru the north stand etc etc no I think it should be GOSBTS but I think we should sing it much more slower and add we going up to win the league or cup depending on which competition? We are playing in.

I 'ad a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Going up to win the cup? Nah. This replaces possibly the most inspiring line in the anthem. Try " you can tell them all that we STAND OR FALL"
Oh I agree 100%. I MUCH prefer the real words, and that 'stand or fall' couplet is, as you say, the best bit. But if we're going to sing football words then they should at least make sense. (People singing ''to win the cup" instead of "and we'll win the cup" irritates me perhaps far more than it should!)

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Oh I agree 100%. I MUCH prefer the real words, and that 'stand or fall' couplet is, as you say, the best bit. But if we're going to sing football words then they should at least make sense. (People singing ''to win the cup" instead of "and we'll win the cup" irritates me perhaps far more than it should!)

It irritates me too
We have a UNIQUE song...and people sing der der der der der der der :annoyed:

And you're right, it ought to be 'you can tell them all, that we stand or fall' all day long

bha_hatter

May 15, 2012
And what do we think the chances are of singing the correct "inspiring" words.............

bha_hatter

May 15, 2012
A great article for Seagull match day program.. The history of the song and the correct words

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
"Stand or fall" was probably appropriate during WW1 when it meant what it said when sung by the Sussex Regiment going to war. I have more of a problem looking to associate these words with a football team's supporters, rather than worrying whether or not we are in the middle of a cup run.
Norman Wisdom's version was printed in the club programme sometime around 1966/7, I think, so have a look at Hiney's programme site for these.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Up in the morning early,
Start at the break of day;
March till the evening shadows
Tell us it's time to stay.
We're always moving on, my boys,
So take the time from me,
And sing this song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Never fails to inspire me. And I do prefer 'We'll tell them all that we stand or fall" to "We're going up to win the cup".

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
And what do we think the chances are of singing the correct "inspiring" words.............

Good question, it will take time because the "going up to win the cup" version has been sung for almost 50 years. At the first game at the Amex vs Donny I heard two guys sat behind me singing the Stand or Fall line, gradually, since then it has become the version sung by all those around me. If enough join in it will spread

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Up in the morning early,
Start at the break of day;
March till the evening shadows
Tell us it's time to stay.
We're always moving on, my boys,
So take the time from me,
And sing this song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Never fails to inspire me. And I do prefer 'We'll tell them all that we stand or fall" to "We're going up to win the cup".

Stand or fall

Attachments

• stand.JPG
    stand.JPG
    957.2 KB · Views: 144

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here