Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Close to signing Ward???

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't see the promotional candidates of this league struggling in the market do you? Only BHA appear to be dragging their heels yet again. Teams like Forest and Boro have virtually built their squads before the first game. Teams like Fulham,Norwich, Cardiff etc just need tweaking. They all have excellent squads with depth.
I totally agree but my point is just that it is not really a buyers market, the clubs you have mentioned are throwing huge money at players while I get the feeling that our board are looking at value for money and the right player. Selling clubs and agents know we have a war chest after selling Ulloa, Bridcutt and Barnes and they are all looking for a bigger piece of that, our board need to negotiate the best deal for The Albion

We all know we can't compete financially with relegated clubs and Forest have a massive investor so I find it hard to draw a comparison with them.

I still feel we are promotional candidates once we have bought the right players and not just signed Mr Average for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've heard it's the loyalty bonus that's being haggled over. Wolves want rid of him but if they transfer list him, or accept a bid, they have to pay out, so they want a fee + his bonus covered by us. SW has no interest in handing in a transfer request and foregoing the bonus, especially if he's going to have to take a pay cut to come here. We don't want to overpay for a guy we can get on a free in a matter of months. Cue a waiting game all round.

He has been at Wolves for 7 years so a loyalty bonus sounds credible.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Not Andy Naylor posted a very similar scenario yesterday. I wonder if we could get him back on loan for his final year and then get him for free? That may be a way around the stalemate?
Wolves still have parachute payments so surely they can afford a loyalty bonus, especially when they're still paying his weekly wage.

That is the best explanation of the situation, thanks for this.

That would make a lot of sense, with a premier league contract bonus could be several 100k, too much for us to pay if his wages are high.
I should point out this is only water cooler talk from a couple of Albion fans I know - could be nonsense for all I know, but sounds more plausible than some other rumours.
He has been at Wolves for 7 years so a loyalty bonus sounds credible.
My understanding is that more or less every contract now has this built in, don't think of it as being dependent on how long a player has been at the club. It protects the club, who don't have to pay it if the player angles for a move with a transfer request, and protects the player who gets paid out if he's screwed over by a club randomly transfer listing him when he wants to stay.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My understanding is that more or less every contract now has this built in, don't think of it as being dependent on how long a player has been at the club. It protects the club, who don't have to pay it if the player angles for a move with a transfer request, and protects the player who gets paid out if he's screwed over by a club randomly transfer listing him when he wants to stay.

I was thinking the bonus could be incremental , the longer a player is at the club the more he gets paid out if they don't happen to get to a testimonial season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I totally agree but my point is just that it is not really a buyers market, the clubs you have mentioned are throwing huge money at players while I get the feeling that our board are looking at value for money and the right player. Selling clubs and agents know we have a war chest after selling Ulloa, Bridcutt and Barnes and they are all looking for a bigger piece of that, our board need to negotiate the best deal for The Albion

We all know we can't compete financially with relegated clubs and Forest have a massive investor so I find it hard to draw a comparison with them.

I still feel we are promotional candidates once we have bought the right players and not just signed Mr Average for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

That is far too sensible for NSC. Are you on the right fourum? :)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Excellent, I can wait until the end of August for 10 signings. Is this scenario in a parallel universe?

Sorry, not clear. What I meant was 6 or 7 signings in total, 3 of those possibly being loans in September so a minimum of 3 signings by the end of Aug . . . is this nearer to your reality?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I don't see the promotional candidates of this league struggling in the market do you? Only BHA appear to be dragging their heels yet again. Teams like Forest and Boro have virtually built their squads before the first game. Teams like Fulham,Norwich, Cardiff etc just need tweaking. They all have excellent squads with depth.

If you really believe this perhaps you should consider that Fulham, Norwich and Cardiff were relegated last year because they are losers and Forest and Boro finished below us. Matches are not won or lost on media hype or the cost of player or squad. Hopefully our players will perform. If they do this and play as a team we will do well.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
We just need to get the feckin deal done!! we are desperately short of a left back, Chicksen may come good long term but from what I've seen he's not the answer yet. We played hardball with Leicester over the Ulloa fee yet are buggering about over paying Wolves 1-200k, Tone, you can't have it all ways mate, sort it out ffs!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We just need to get the feckin deal done!! we are desperately short of a left back, Chicksen may come good long term but from what I've seen he's not the answer yet. We played hardball with Leicester over the Ulloa fee yet are buggering about over paying Wolves 1-200k, Tone, you can't have it all ways mate, sort it out ffs!

Calde can play left back until we get a replacement.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
The way I see it is,Brighton and Ward are to blame for this situation.Ward had a good season with us and has requested that he transfers to Brighton,Brighton got the best out of him and and have decided he's the one.Wolves wanted rid of him but saw the way Brighton,Ward and the fans connected and decided that they would try and get more money out of Brighton than they actually thought Ward was worth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Replacements don't seem to be our strong point though do they, I've seen Calde mooted as a makeshift sub for nearly every position on the pitch, let's hope HE stays fit eh?

Calde has played at left back many times when we've had injuries.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

If this is the scenario I have to agree with you. Decent player for 200K has gotta be a good deal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sky Sports saying that Kenny Jackett stressing he wants Stephen Ward Kevin Doyle Roger Johnson and Jamie O Hara off wage bill ASAP I would take Ward and Doyle subject to wages etc. Possibly even O Hara would be an improvement on what we have but as a man he is a p...k.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sky Sports saying that Kenny Jackett stressing he wants Stephen Ward Kevin Doyle Roger Johnson and Jamie O Hara off wage bill ASAP I would take Ward and Doyle subject to wages etc.

I imagine O'Hara is shuffling as much as he can offshore while he can. His ex is having a BIG clear out. Surely no one in the game is going to touch him now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here