Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Close to signing Ward???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wolves holding all the aces when push comes to shove as they still have parachute payments and don't need to accept our, probably, derisory offer in their eyes. Luckily for us it doesn't appear that any other teams are interested, otherwise we'd have lost out ages ago.

That'll be the aces that has them paying out 17K a week for someone, who they have said, won't play for their first team. When most people hold aces like that they tend to fold.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That'll be the aces that has them paying out 17K a week for someone, who they have said, won't play for their first team. When most people hold aces like that they tend to fold.

Oh I don't know, a couple of defeats and a number of clubs may be willing to pay more for a good LB than they might at the moment. Given how many parachute millions Wolves are getting the 17k a week for a few more weeks really isn't that big a deal it appears.

Not sure that football operates much like the real world.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh I don't know, a couple of defeats and a number of clubs may be willing to pay more for a good LB than they might at the moment. Given how many parachute millions Wolves are getting the 17k a week for a few more weeks really isn't that big a deal it appears.

Not sure that football operates much like the real world.

I think that now we've waited this long, we won't fold and pay a fee.

(Although i agree completely with your last line)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Wolves' chairman/owner may be messing about on this, our own team may be messing around on this, but it is good to see that Kenny Jackett is giving Ward (and the other 'outcasts') game time. Even though it is only with the reserves/U21s, at least it means that they have some match fitness when they move on.
Dont be naive hes giving all the Wolves high earners game time hoping that someone will come in for them.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Dont be naive hes giving all the Wolves high earners game time hoping that someone will come in for them.

To be fair, he did mention that he was hoping a few scouts would show up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
be ironic if we sign him and then he has a stinker of am opening game ..and we will all wonder why we bothered

Spanish Dave syndrome??

I think its almost inevitable, whilst he's getting game time, it is against fairly poor opposition, so it'll take him a few games to get back up to speed.

Also, Sami's tactics are very focused on full backs practically playing as wingers, so his fitness will be tested.

Of course, if the deal even goes through......

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I understood it was not so much a fee Wolves were haggling over as some bonus or other that Ward is owed. They don't want to pay it and would like us to do so instead.

Maybe he was on a bonus if Wolves got promoted. He probably thinks he's owed it, Wolves don't as he didn't play.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Maybe he was on a bonus if Wolves got promoted. He probably thinks he's owed it, Wolves don't as he didn't play.

Mmmm if that's true, it's not an easy one to call. He was a Wolves player, and may consider he's owed part of the teams promo' bonus I guess. But on the other foot would he have been claiming promo' bonus from us if we'd gone up? If so it might be a case of 'eating your cake and still having it' ( I love that scenario). :)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Really starting to think Ward will go elsewhere now. It's obvious we want him, I believe he wants us, but we are playing silly buggers over a fee. Everyone knows we got £8m for Ulloa, not to mention the Bridcutt money. So Wolves quite rightly think we can afford to stump up a few quid....While we play hard ball, I expect someone to snap him up and probably offer better wages into the bargain.....Probably Forest!!!!!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Really starting to think Ward will go elsewhere now. It's obvious we want him, I believe he wants us, but we are playing silly buggers over a fee. Everyone knows we got £8m for Ulloa, not to mention the Bridcutt money. So Wolves quite rightly think we can afford to stump up a few quid....While we play hard ball, I expect someone to snap him up and probably offer better wages into the bargain.....Probably Forest!!!!!!

Well that of course is a possible scenario. Trouble is Reverend what really is the position with Ward? It's a feckin conundrum. So many stories and all but one is a load of test icicles. But which one ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Well that of course is a possible scenario. Trouble is Reverend what really is the position with Ward? It's a feckin conundrum. So many stories and all but one is a load of test icicles. But which one ?

We will miss out and get spun all the usual old bull, from the club about how difficult these things are....Things tend to be difficult, when your in a buyers market and not prepared to pay what the seller wants.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We will miss out and get spun all the usual old bull, from the club about how difficult these things are....Things tend to be difficult, when your in a buyers market and not prepared to pay what the seller wants.
Is it a buyers market? Selling clubs and agents appear to be holding out for the best offer / price as we did with Ulloa and Bridcutt.
Once the season starts and players don't get starts the market will start to move as players toys come out of the pram.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is it a buyers market? Selling clubs and agents appear to be holding out for the best offer / price as we did with Ulloa and Bridcutt.
Once the season starts and players don't get starts the market will start to move as players toys come out of the pram.

If people within any given club or agents are good at their job's, then they will know we are worryingly short on numbers in our squad. I wouldn't say we are in a good position to bargain atm, we are desperate and down to the bare bones and the season hasn't even started yet. How it has come to this, 2 days before a season starts is awful. Someone should really be bought to task.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't see the promotional candidates of this league struggling in the market do you? Only BHA appear to be dragging their heels yet again. Teams like Forest and Boro have virtually built their squads before the first game. Teams like Fulham,Norwich, Cardiff etc just need tweaking. They all have excellent squads with depth.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it my turn to start tomorrow's Ward thread, must be my turn soon surely? :lolol:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I've heard it's the loyalty bonus that's being haggled over. Wolves want rid of him but if they transfer list him, or accept a bid, they have to pay out, so they want a fee + his bonus covered by us. SW has no interest in handing in a transfer request and foregoing the bonus, especially if he's going to have to take a pay cut to come here. We don't want to overpay for a guy we can get on a free in a matter of months. Cue a waiting game all round.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've heard it's the loyalty bonus that's being haggled over. Wolves want rid of him but if they transfer list him, or accept a bid, they have to pay out, so they want a fee + his bonus covered by us. SW has no interest in handing in a transfer request and foregoing the bonus, especially if he's going to have to take a pay cut to come here. We don't want to overpay for a guy we can get on a free in a matter of months. Cue a waiting game all round.

Not Andy Naylor posted a very similar scenario yesterday. I wonder if we could get him back on loan for his final year and then get him for free? That may be a way around the stalemate?
Wolves still have parachute payments so surely they can afford a loyalty bonus, especially when they're still paying his weekly wage.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

That is the best explanation of the situation, thanks for this.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

That would make a lot of sense, with a premier league contract bonus could be several 100k, too much for us to pay if his wages are high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here