Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clement watch......

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Erm...at what point did this stop being a thread about Clement and turn into another about Poyet & finances?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes, I agree with that highlighted bit from your later post, but not your earlier quote; 'we stopped Gus from spending it'. Gus was given a lot of money to play with. Greedily and ungratefully, and despite the club's losses / FFP, Gus wanted more, more, more. Constantly whined in the media about his budget, amongst other rants.

Looking forward, I fully expect us to spend at least the majority of the money we got from the sales of Bridcutt and Barnes, minus the money we spent already on Stephens. I don't know how much the profit on player dealings in Jan is, but I expect it is more than £3M, so I would say we will spend at least £1.5 to £2M.

I don't understand how we still have Bridcutt, and Barnes money under FFP rules. I fully expect the accounts for last season to say we made about a £4 million loss after the their fees are taken into account. So how can we spend money that officially already spent, or am I missing something.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Eh?

We had the 8th biggest wage budget in the league in 2012/13, despite all the bullsh*t that Gus used to spout. He was heavily backed, especially considering almost every club above us was still removing players from a Premier League wage bill with the support of parachute payments.

To say we stopped Poyet from spending is ridiculous. The clubs who spent more include Blackburn, Bolton, Birmingham, Wolves, and Hull. Every single one of those had parachute payments still incoming to offset the wages, and from what you read, a few of them are in SERIOUS financial trouble.

Season 9/10 Spent £0 Sold £200k
10/11 Spent £300k Sold £150k
11/12 Spent £1M Sold £0
12/13 Spent £2M Sold £1.5M
13/14 Spent £2M Sold £4.6M

Seeing that Poyet Bought Ulloa for £2M and the previous £3M was also spent by Gus and after that we don't seem to have bought anyone its clear the block was put on transfers.

As for wages having now cut the wage bill we must either be sitting on a £5M war chest and be ready to spend wages on the players that war chest buys or we have a very low ceiling

I bloody hope its the former but then why did OG leave? He only just missed out and presumably was about to be backed big time?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Season 9/10 Spent £0 Sold £200k
10/11 Spent £300k Sold £150k
11/12 Spent £1M Sold £0
13/14 Spent £2M Sold £4.6M

Seeing that Poyet Bought Ulloa for £2M and the previous £3M was also spent by Gus and after that we don't seem to have bought anyone its clear the block was put on transfers.

As for wages having now cut the wage bill we must either be sitting on a £5M war chest and be ready to spend wages on the players that war chest buys or we have a very low ceiling

I bloody hope its the former but then why did OG leave? He only just missed out and presumably was about to be backed big time?

What about £2.5m on CMS and .5m on Hoskins?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't understand how we still have Bridcutt, and Barnes money under FFP rules. I fully expect the accounts for last season to say we made about a £4 million loss after the their fees are taken into account. So how can we spend money that officially already spent, or am I missing something.

Our loss will be as near to 8m as possible. You can bring forward costs from next season into this season's accounts if need be, so that next seasons budget is effectively higher, as you have already paid some of the costs. Or so I am told, anyway.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Wasn't Hoskins Free - I'm not sure why CMS isn't included but its just adding to Poyets spending so add that in and he had an even bigger budget and makes the difference greater.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/football-transfers/brighton-and-hove-albion-transfers.html

I'm sure we paid half a million for him, and I'm sure we got a resonable amount for Grant Hall when he went to Tottenham. I think the managers are being backed by Bloom. Just not unrealistically.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Our loss will be as near to 8m as possible. You can bring forward costs from next season into this season's accounts if need be, so that next seasons budget is effectively higher, as you have already paid some of the costs. Or so I am told, anyway.

But how do we then get the Bridcutt and Barnes money for the summer, when there is no money to bring over into the new season?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'm sure we paid half a million for him, and I'm sure we got a resonable amount for Grant Hall when he went to Tottenham. I think the managers are being backed by Bloom. Just not unrealistically.

I think what we do and spend in the next few weeks will answer quite a few questions irrespective of whether Paul Clement is our manager - We live in interesting times

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think what we do and spend in the next few weeks will answer quite a few questions irrespective of whether Paul Clement is our manager - We live in interesting times

I'm certainly excited. Luckily enough for me its about the clubs continual progress. Therefore in situations like we have now when we loose in the play-offs and our manager its about more than them.

We made the play-offs for the second season in a row so we haven't taken a step backwards on the field, and off the field we are looking good. 5 of our youngsters are on international duty this summer (when was the last time that happened). and our youth academy is vital towards making the club sustainable. We are doing thing right in my view so I'm happy.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Because the costs for next season have gone down as you have already paid some of them, therefore your outgoings can go up.

I do understand that aspect. So we are maximising our available income for next season, and so we should. I'm just not sure what that has to do with the Bridcutt and Barnes money.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
11/12 Spent £1M Sold £0

Incorrect, in fact your figures are laughable.

In 2011/12, we signed: CMS (£2.5m rising to £3.25), Hoskins (£750k), Buckley (£1m rising), Lua Lua (undisclosed), Ryan Harley (undisclosed), Vincelot (undisclosed), and VICENTE on a free. You say we spent £1m? :lol:

In 2012/13 we spent way over £2m. Ulloa was £2m alone, Dobbie rumoured to be £750k, Crofts £500k, Orlandi wouldn't have been peanuts. We also signed Kuszcak, Bruno, Wayne Bridge, David Lopez, Upson, and Hammond. All of whom would have been on decent wages.

Poyet was backed very well, the facts do not lie, we had the 8th biggest wage budget in 2012/13. In fact, if you take out clubs with parachute payments, we had the 2nd biggest wage budget in the league, behind Leicester, who under Sven were heading to administration.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I do understand that aspect. So we are maximising our available income for next season, and so we should. I'm just not sure what that has to do with the Bridcutt and Barnes money.

The Bridcutt and Barnes money meant that our income this season was higher than expected. Rather than announce a smaller loss, or even a profit, the club will put some of next season's costs into this season's accounts, effectively carrying forward the Bridcutt and Barnes money to next year. Our costs for next year will be lower, so we effectively have more money to spend as our income, for sake of argument, will stay the same. Don't forget though, that our allowable loss next year is 2m less than this.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'll post this on another thread so this one can get back on line but check this out

http://transferleague.co.uk/championship-tables/five-year-league-championship.html

If its correct it shows that per season apart from QPR its not really the buying of players thats the problem its wages.
I'm not sure if that is right for some reason, but if it is I would be happy making a profit on transfers. It would mean that despite what people say about Burke overall he is doing alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here