Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clement watch......

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You are right we don't know the budget - but we stopped Gus from spending it, we never gave it to OG and its unlikely we have been waiting for Clement to come along just to give it all to him isn't it?

brighton-and-hove-albion-home-fussballshirts-1999-2008-s_6254_1.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Where would we have been if we had a manager who bought players and really ran the squad rather than a coach then?

The problem was that if OG was really that good why didn't he get backed up and why did they let him leave and if the failure in the playoffs was his fault why didn't we see this earlier and get rid earlier?

You are right we don't know the budget - but we stopped Gus from spending it, we never gave it to OG and its unlikely we have been waiting for Clement to come along just to give it all to him isn't it?

A 14m loss and the dumping of high earners at the end of this season suggests otherwise.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
he has at Chelsea, PSG and Madrid and the two of them are allegedly very close.........

Ancellotti only manages big clubs, so here's hoping Clement can do with Ancellotti what Zola's Watford did with Udinese....allow us to loan some of the fringe players who will be superb at this level.

If Clement can use his personal ties with Ancellotti in that way, it could be a match made in heaven for us

Does that ever really work though - OG was supposed to be getting in all of Barcas' B team but that never happened. Fact is history shows its experienced managers that win promotion rather than coaches and then experienced players keep you up rather than a goal scorer from the Championship

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We had the 7th highest budget last season. With a lot of the high earners gone there will be plenty to go round, wages and transfers/signing on fees.

Where did you get the info that we had the seventh highest budget, I read somewhere else on here that is was 8th, which I still have doubts about.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
We had the 7th highest budget last season. With a lot of the high earners gone there will be plenty to go round, wages and transfers/signing on fees.

You are right we should have £5M to spend on players this season - transfer wise we gained £2.5M in the last 2 seasons both really out of players Poyet bought and if we cashed in on Ulloa we would probably have £7M

But we did have a £8M loss on the books though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You are right we should have £5M to spend on players this season - transfer wise we gained £2.5M in the last 2 seasons both really out of players Poyet bought and if we cashed in on Ulloa we would probably have £7M

But we did have a £8M loss on the books though.

Some of that loss would not apply to FFP.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Some of that loss would not apply to FFP.

I'm not even thinking about FFP - thats a joke the F League have not even looked at factoring in para payments because the ffp rules were created before the PL started giving £60 to teams that came down.

People on here have been moaning about para payments but they have been nothing in comparison to what clubs get from this season on. You get nothing from finishing 4th in the championship but 3rd is worth £120M at worst (if you come down following season)

How much do you think we will spend this season then my guess/hope is £1M anything more fantastic anything less sadness

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I repeat we gained £2.5M in transfers in the last 2 seasons from selling Players Gus got in - I wish it wasn't true but it is

Am not sure of your point - a 14m loss suggests to me that the club splashed the cash to a degree whilst Gus was here. You implied in an earlier post that he was not allowed to spend it.

Yes, we have made some money from transfers and I would expect us to spend some of it this summer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where would we have been if we had a manager who bought players and really ran the squad rather than a coach then?

The problem was that if OG was really that good why didn't he get backed up and why did they let him leave and if the failure in the playoffs was his fault why didn't we see this earlier and get rid earlier?

Laughable.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
You are right we don't know the budget - but we stopped Gus from spending it, we never gave it to OG.

Eh?

We had the 8th biggest wage budget in the league in 2012/13, despite all the bullsh*t that Gus used to spout. He was heavily backed, especially considering almost every club above us was still removing players from a Premier League wage bill with the support of parachute payments.

To say we stopped Poyet from spending is ridiculous. The clubs who spent more include Blackburn, Bolton, Birmingham, Wolves, and Hull. Every single one of those had parachute payments still incoming to offset the wages, and from what you read, a few of them are in SERIOUS financial trouble.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Its pretty obvious now there is a ceiling and wage structure that TB won't allow us to cross again - and so there should be.

How much do you think we will spend this season then?

Some clever accounting would ensure that we can spend most of what we gained from Bridcutt and Barnes I would say. But not necessarily on transfer fees though - I would expect quite a few out of contract players coming in. But I suspect that this will be seen as a sign of no ambition by some, rather than using what we have wisely. We will see.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Its pretty obvious now there is a ceiling and wage structure that TB won't allow us to cross again - and so there should be.

How much do you think we will spend this season then?

Yes, I agree with that highlighted bit from your later post, but not your earlier quote; 'we stopped Gus from spending it'. Gus was given a lot of money to play with. Greedily and ungratefully, and despite the club's losses / FFP, Gus wanted more, more, more. Constantly whined in the media about his budget, amongst other rants.

Looking forward, I fully expect us to spend at least the majority of the money we got from the sales of Bridcutt and Barnes, minus the money we spent already on Stephens. I don't know how much the profit on player dealings in Jan is, but I expect it is more than £3M, so I would say we will spend at least £1.5 to £2M.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Am not sure of your point - a 14m loss suggests to me that the club splashed the cash to a degree whilst Gus was here. You implied in an earlier post that he was not allowed to spend it.

Yes, we have made some money from transfers and I would expect us to spend some of it this summer.

How Much?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some clever accounting would ensure that we can spend most of what we gained from Bridcutt and Barnes I would say. But not necessarily on transfer fees though - I would expect quite a few out of contract players coming in. But I suspect that this will be seen as a sign of no ambition by some, rather than using what we have wisely. We will see.
The new man could bring in Bale and Ronaldo and it would still be seen as a sign of no ambition, by some.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The new man could bring in Bale and Ronaldo and it would still be seen as a sign of no ambition, by some.

Be happy with them two if we can pay only £10k a week of their wages!! but even with them, we still wouldn't get promoted with Wankagain in goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here