Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Class of 92 (BBC 1)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How is that odd? Wasn't many moons ago we were a game away from becoming non league ourselves. It's even fewer moons ago that we were regularly playing Darlo, Halifax, Stockport. Very easy to slip out of the football league and with bad management it very easy to slip further (see aforementioned sides). Without a Knight or a Bloom that could have easily been us.

I guess I didn't expect – or I underestimated – the levels of passion, commitment and loyalty that non-league clubs, compared with those who are involved on a full-time basis. The difference between professionals and amatuers, I guess. The fact that everyone was having a pop at the striker for going off to earn some decent money to support him over the summer when he wouldn't be paid by the football club is an example. If the managers and owners took a step back and put themselves in Seddon's position, they would probably do EXACTLY the same thing. But instead they get all shirty and offended that he has dared to miss one non-league game of football...

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I’ve enjoyed the documentary, and really enjoyed the Salford V Nott’s County game on the telly.

During the game, it was most noticeable that (i) the players from both sides were not in the ref’s face contesting every decision (ii) The players were not rolling around fainting death after each tackle or coming together. All very refreshing, higher league pro’s could learn a lot.

Will be interestig to watch how Salford develope.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Like or loathe the ex Man Utd players that own Salford, it was nice to see 3 of them them standing watching the match with the fans, rather than sitting up in the stand.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Like or loathe the ex Man Utd players that own Salford, it was nice to see 3 of them them standing watching the match with the fans, rather than sitting up in the stand.

And nice to see them celebrating like real fans when they scored the second goal. As much as I hated Man U this documentary seems to show these 5 do actually care about Salford and are prepared to put in the work and time. I wonder where Salford will be in 5 years time? Maybe league 2?

D

Deleted member 2719

And nice to see them celebrating like real fans when they scored the second goal. As much as I hated Man U this documentary seems to show these 5 do actually care about Salford and are prepared to put in the work and time. I wonder where Salford will be in 5 years time? Maybe league 2?

Didn't see the whole match, were the Man U boys chanting "the referee a winker" like proper fans???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just watched the doc and really enjoyed it. I thought the Neville's came across very well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just watched the doc and really enjoyed it. I thought the Neville's came across very well.

It was good, but sadly the Beeb haven't left it there. They're tugging off this bang average club that has been taken over by a rich consortium (and then changed the colour of the strip) by putting them on telly two rounds running. Really, why does anyone care about Salford apart from the odd Man Utd fans? I hope Hartlepool batter them.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It was good, but sadly the Beeb haven't left it there. They're tugging off this bang average club that has been taken over by a rich consortium (and then changed the colour of the strip) by putting them on telly two rounds running. Really, why does anyone care about Salford apart from the odd Man Utd fans? I hope Hartlepool batter them.
3.5 million viewers and the chance for effectively another episode of this "series".

I agree though, as much as I love listening to Neville (what a turnaround from the on the pitch persona we all assumed he had off it!) the Salford story shouldn't overshadow the genuine minnows left in the competition.

Don't think BBC had the vision to expect the backlash, they just focused on viewing figures and nothing else. Understandable but a great shame really. They were never going to let BT sport show this one.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Incidently, I wish they'd shown more of the kit change backlash in the programme. You get the impression they quickly learned the hard way that Salford weren't the play thing they were expecting and they had to do thinks by the book after that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Stourbridge v Easleigh would have been the tie to show for me. North v South, a non league team guaranteed in the 3rd round, would have ticked a lot of narrative boxes. I would think the viewing figures will be massive for the Salford City game though, your average person will tune in just because of the big names involved. Should really be another non league team given the limelight and a chance at some TV money, but can't be overly critical at the BBC following a narrative that is pretty spectacular getting to the 2nd round at the same time as airing the documentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here