Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Class of 92 (BBC 1)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought both episodes were great. Little things like last week when gary neville of sky finds out the club have a hooky sky box to screen matches. Or they ask Scholes to play and his response is 'im fat as ****'

Can't help thinking that it would be easy to buy success but that they want to give the club a helping hand on infrastructure etc (like new facilities) but go limited on throwing cash around.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
I thought both episodes were great. Little things like last week when gary neville of sky finds out the club have a hooky sky box to screen matches. Or they ask Scholes to play and his response is 'im fat as ****'

Can't help thinking that it would be easy to buy success but that they want to give the club a helping hand on infrastructure etc (like new facilities) but go limited on throwing cash around.

Yeah, that was my favourite moment from last week as well...wonder if he sorted it with Sky!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The original Darlington went bust and the new club were therefore relegated four or five levels in one go to start again

Memory is a little hazy, but wasn't it Darlington that built a stadium with a capacity of something silly like 30k, when they were in the 3/4th tier, and it now stands derelict? Also the same club where the owner boasted about signing some big name player (there was a video announcing his arrival), but he either didn't sign/play, or was a flop?

Class of '92 was OK, I thought, although it makes you realise how important non-league football is to some people. It's all a bit odd to me, but I guess if you are caught up in it you get carried away with it. I can also understand Seddon going off modelling for £5k. If the Ex-pro owners put themselves in his position, they'd probably do exactly the same...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Memory is a little hazy, but wasn't it Darlington that built a stadium with a capacity of something silly like 30k, when they were in the 3/4th tier, and it now stands derelict? Also the same club where the owner boasted about signing some big name player (there was a video announcing his arrival), but he either didn't sign/play, or was a flop?

Class of '92 was OK, I thought, although it makes you realise how important non-league football is to some people. It's all a bit odd to me, but I guess if you are caught up in it you get carried away with it. I can also understand Seddon going off modelling for £5k. If the Ex-pro owners put themselves in his position, they'd probably do exactly the same...

I think that stadium is used for Rugby now and it was Tino Asprilla

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Good to see players who've earned a lot from the game giving something back. People will slag them off and then slobber over someone like Gazza's antics.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think they said in the last episode Seddon was on £400 a week and was the best paid player. That's £21K a year assuming he is paid out of season.

The club might want commitment but theres not many of us that can turn down more money on those figures.

In the programme he did say that the 5 grand would see him through the summer, so had to be done for his family

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Did anyone else CRINGE on the scene where they were going through their "bad spell" and losing 2-0 at half time.

The manager gave his half time team talk and just LOST any sense of composure of ability to actually make a point. He was just pointing at random players, "you were crap" and and then started arguing with the star striker about something which just didn't matter. At one point he basically said they may as well not bother because they won't win the match.

Ultimately, nothing productive was said, he sends them out and the voiceover says "despite the managers best efforts, Salford can not come back from 2-0 down". :lolol:

Also, as mentioned about, sure it doesn't sound great that the star striker went off modelling :)lolol:) but for that money I couldn't blame him. It's when you have people like Giggs (probably formally on 90k a week) and Neville (£40k a week?) slamming him for chasing the money. It's very easy to do that when it's literally not a worry to you.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can see Gary Neville really getting somewhere in football management, he seems to have the right approach to people at all levels, has a clear understanding of what people should and need to do to make things tick and when it needs his intervention; without just throwing cash at the problem. Top bloke in my opinion.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Enjoying this programme a lot. You just know that the wheels are going to come off, that's the fun.

The BBC must be delighted with the FA Cup match on tomorrow as well.

Bab's pies look good as well!

Babs the pie woman is destined for Celebrity big brother next year. She is a STAR

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Did anyone else CRINGE on the scene where they were going through their "bad spell" and losing 2-0 at half time.

The manager gave his half time team talk and just LOST any sense of composure of ability to actually make a point. He was just pointing at random players, "you were crap" and and then started arguing with the star striker about something which just didn't matter. At one point he basically said they may as well not bother because they won't win the match.

Ultimately, nothing productive was said, he sends them out and the voiceover says "despite the managers best efforts, Salford can not come back from 2-0 down". :lolol:

Also, as mentioned about, sure it doesn't sound great that the star striker went off modelling :)lolol:) but for that money I couldn't blame him. It's when you have people like Giggs (probably formally on 90k a week) and Neville (£40k a week?) slamming him for chasing the money. It's very easy to do that when it's literally not a worry to you.

I remember David James at Aston Villa did that. He said to john gregory who was manager at the time ''How much will you fine me if i don't turn up for training'' When told the amount he would be fined, he took the day off and then went and did a modelling photo shoot and got paid more than 3 times what he was fined

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
although it makes you realise how important non-league football is to some people. It's all a bit odd to me, but I guess if you are caught up in it you get carried away with it.

How is that odd? Wasn't many moons ago we were a game away from becoming non league ourselves. It's even fewer moons ago that we were regularly playing Darlo, Halifax, Stockport. Very easy to slip out of the football league and with bad management it very easy to slip further (see aforementioned sides). Without a Knight or a Bloom that could have easily been us.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Always been a Man Utd / Neville hater but after watching both episodes I've changed my mind about Neville and Co but still detest Man Utd ( Whiteside will always be top of my hit list !!)

Are you me? I've disliked GN for years since his "do you know who I am" moment when trying to purchase land from a neighbour.
But I have warmed to him watching this programme, where he does surprisingly come across as at least someone with a lads sense of humour....loved the Sky Box issue last week.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm not sure that Salford's aim of getting as high up the ladder as possible should be their goal.
If (in my fantasy world) I had enough money to own a non-league club I would only want to progress as far as you can without having to segregate supporters, without banning drinking a beer on the terraces and without having to travel to the other end of the country for a match.
I'd also want to use players who live within 30 miles of the town and have a range of youth teams within the club.
Good runs in the FA Cup and FA Trophy would be highlights, and winning more games than losing would be an aim.
Basically the aim should be to be a successful National South team with as much community involvement as possible. If the side ended up somehow getting promoted to the Conference then a tweaking of the budget would soon bring them back to being an inclusive club where everyone can enjoy a match day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paul Scholes is an absolute star, no airs and graces about him.

Nicky Butt's contribution has been a little muted to date.
Is irony optional with that?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember David James at Aston Villa did that. He said to john gregory who was manager at the time ''How much will you fine me if i don't turn up for training'' When told the amount he would be fined, he took the day off and then went and did a modelling photo shoot and got paid more than 3 times what he was fined
[/B]

Yet he was absolutely SHOCKING with money. :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who isn't enjoying this btw? I love it. Bernard and Jonno are FANTASTIC. They're like a Northern cross between Charlie Oatway and Vinnie Jones shoved between a lorry cab and a curry house with flock wallpaper.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having tuned in for the FA cup game tonight I have decided that I hope County absolutely dick them, its a arselickin " Look at Us " suck up. The way they are talking this one sided match up is almost as bad as when the Harlem Globetrotters would play an exhibition against a team no one had heard of whose only job was the be the feed,patsy or dummy ..... Oh , the BBC has just mentioned Notts County ! how amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here