Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Class fans getting recognised…

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am not racist.

I will boo when the players take the knee.

It has achieved nothing and there are much more important causes for players to get behind.

How about "save the alpaca"?
I would rather players didn't take the knee as I believe it's no longer an effective demonstration, however I consider booing it to be a racist act as it represents an anti racist idea a expresses solidarity with all races.

And you think the alpaca is more important than the way we treat other humans?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Why?
How is it helping?
Why not just stay quiet?
What’s the benefit of booing?

All it does it make the kneeling more relevant, and likely to continue for longer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As for Bong and Rodriguez, that's been done to death. Obviously most Brighton fans don't believe Bong could possibly mishear a man who was holding his nose in a stadium with 30,000 fans around. Burnley fans do think he could mishear.

Done to death, but still not understood apparently. Or perhaps a straw man argument? Nobody claimed to know what Rodriguez said and what Bong heard. We all know that the FA finding was that the accusation was not proven. The question for us was really always why so many Burnley fans felt the need to weigh in and inflame the situation between a Brighton player and a WBA player. None of them were at the game in question, but they became the most vociferous element giving disgusting sustained abuse to an honest pro and honourable man who committed the sin of just reporting what he believed he had heard. Now there is every chance that Bong misheard, but those Burnley fans who abused him weren't chanting that he may be mistaken, they were saying that he was a liar. Some were just shouting racist abuse at him and were reported to the police by other Burnley fans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not racist.

It has achieved nothing and there are much more important causes for players to get behind.

How about "save the alpaca"?

Wearing a remembrance poppy doesn't itself actually 'achieve' anything. It is a symbolic gesture, that people involve themselves in to demonstrate that they support a particular cause.

When you pass somebody in the street, wearing a poppy, do you BOOOOOO them?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I am not racist.

Do you understand why people might assume you side with racists when you boo a gesture that is aimed at reducing racism by raising awareness of the (ongoing) issue of racism?

It has achieved nothing and there are much more important causes for players to get behind

Who are you to decide which causes are important enough for the players to get behind?

As someone trying to boo into submission an anti-racism message that harms nobody (except perhaps racists who take exception to it), I'd suggest that you're not overly picky when it comes to causes to get behind yourself. (unless of course, you are racist and then I can clearly see why you might want to boo an attempt to limit your ability to be racist)

Seeing as you are keen to be recognised as 'not racist', perhaps you might see the importance of not booing, even if you believe taking the knee has achieved nothing.

Obviously, none of this will have any effect on your mindset as it's been done to death on here. I suspect you revel in your "not racist despite fighting anti-racism" stance, but hopefully the penny might drop one day.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Vocally supporting a player for saying a black person STINKS is always going to turn a large number of people against Burnley fans, for obvious reasons.

Even if he wasn’t being intentionally/overtly racist, it was a ****ing stupid thing to do, saying a black person stinks - and supporting that is frankly a bit disturbing, based as it is on the old tribal “he’s one of our own” bollocks basis.
That's something I do not understand at all. I can see why it's wrong to say someone stinks. Even if true, it isn't polite. But why is is specially wrong just because he is black?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Every player on the pitch took the knee and some fans booed. What I did hear in the majority was a very vocal response to that booing by the Brighton fans around me.
There is unfortunately a racist tone to the booing which is shameful. Zaha feels that he doesn’t want to ‘take the knee’ as he feels that another response is better. I don’t think he should be criticised for that.
What I would say is that after the Burnley plane incident, Ben Mee spoke in a very articulate and inspiring way about how Burnley FC wanted to distance itself from the message displayed by the plane.
So let’s be fair to the vast majority who supported ‘taking the knee’ but not overlook the ignorance of others who feel the need to ‘boo it’.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's something I do not understand at all. I can see why it's wrong to say someone stinks. Even if true, it isn't polite. But why is is specially wrong just because he is black?

You really don’t see that - rightly or wrongly - that could be construed as a racist remark?

I’ve just been reminded above that Rodriguez wasn’t even a Burnley player! Imagine the level of commitment to even potential racism you need to back a player that isn’t even yours.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Every player on the pitch took the knee and some fans booed. What I did hear in the majority was a very vocal response to that booing by the Brighton fans around me.
There is unfortunately a racist tone to the booing which is shameful. Zaha feels that he doesn’t want to ‘take the knee’ as he feels that another response is better. I don’t think he should be criticised for that.
What I would say is that after the Burnley plane incident, Ben Mee spoke in a very articulate and inspiring way about how Burnley FC wanted to distance itself from the message displayed by the plane.
So let’s be fair to the vast majority who supported ‘taking the knee’ but not overlook the ignorance of others who feel the need to ‘boo it’.

Given how long this has been going on, what 'other response' has Zaha adopted / suggested?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I've not yet heard a valid argument for people booing an anti racism stance. I will consider booing the gesture as a racist response.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Of course not. However if the "gesture" continued for month after month after month, well past its sell-by date, then a little booing might be in order.

After the racial abuse black players received following defeat in the Euro's, I can't think of it being past any sell-by date.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course not. However if the "gesture" continued for month after month after month, well past its sell-by date, then a little booing might be in order.

You’ll be furious when you hear how long we’ve been wearing poppies for.

And you’re the one to decide that racism has ended then? The fact it’s discussion is still so prevalent following the abuse of the 3 black players after England’s exit from Euro 2020 suggests it’s nowhere near “past it’s sell-by date”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The ones who decide what the knee stands for are those kneeling.

They have made clearly SO MANY ****ING TIMES that it’s nothing to do with politics.

They kneel against racism and discrimination. So if you boo, that is what you are booing. An anti racist message.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Given how long this has been going on, what 'other response' has Zaha adopted / suggested?

He says that his parents told him he should be proud to be black and stand tall. Therefore I think it’s right that he can send his own message out by doing just that and communicating the reason, which he has. I know he’s our ‘pantomime villain’ but in this instance I back him on that so long as he’s explained his reason for it, which he has. It’s clear that he has suffered racial abuse in the past and that’s wrong, so it’s not as if he is indifferent to the issue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is it just because he is black? His native language is French (who like garlic) so even referring to stinking, is racist even if skin colour doesn't come into it. It is lazy stereotyping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here