Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Class fans getting recognised…

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Honestly, I think there are some people on here who live by the motto "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all northern people."

Yes, obviously Brighton is a much richer part of the country than Burnley, and you are well within your rights to sneer at the people who earn less than you and need help to live. But I'd hardly call it classy. Funny, perhaps. Classy is the wrong word by a long way.
Touchy.

Singing a song that demonstrates the utmost stupidity of the racists who booed the knee, is not sneering.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Honestly, I think there are some people on here who live by the motto "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all northern people."

Yes, obviously Brighton is a much richer part of the country than Burnley, and you are well within your rights to sneer at the people who earn less than you and need help to live. But I'd hardly call it classy. Funny, perhaps. Classy is the wrong word by a long way.

What's money got to do with it?

All you got to do is not think less of someone because of their skin colour. You can do that whatever you earn

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I think the general sentiment is sneering at people that are more racist than us, rather than those who are poorer?

What would you suggest we do, laud the racists instead?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Witty might be better.
I'm not entirely sure that wealth makes you anti-racist, and vice-versa, but do go ahead and explain.
I'll sneer at the Burnley fans who:
-- boo players taking the knee
-- boo Gaetan Bong
-- cheer racist Rod
-- boo Yves Bissouma

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Witty might be better.
I'm not entirely sure that wealth makes you anti-racist, and vice-versa, but do go ahead and explain.
-- boo Gaetan Bong
-- cheer racist Rod
-- boo Yves Bissouma

Plus the plane thing, plus Dyche could have given the significant number of racists less of a place to hide with his comments at the weekend

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Witty might be better.
-- boo Gaetan Bong
-- cheer racist Rod
-- boo Yves Bissouma
I'm definitely not with you on the last one. Players who are the perceived "guilty party" when one of our men gets booked are always booed, regardless of skin colour or whether they were actually at fault, and I don't think black men should be exempt because of their colour. Maupay got booed, didn't he? I suppose you left him off the list because he's a white man? It really shouldn't matter.

As for Bong and Rodriguez, that's been done to death. Obviously most Brighton fans don't believe Bong could possibly mishear a man who was holding his nose in a stadium with 30,000 fans around. Burnley fans do think he could mishear. We will never agree.

I didn't say that wealth makes you anti-racist. I said that people coming from a rich area like Brighton (and don't deny you're rich - have you seen the prices of your season tickets?!?) singing songs about people from poorer areas having free school meals, is not classy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm with dsr as 'class' isn't the word I'd use either.

But by the same token it was in reply to rampant, blatant, open racism, so class doesn't really come into it and despite that any reply carries more class than booing.

Were it not for us clapping and cheering this would have been a much bigger story, as we drowned out the racists not the Burnley fans.

The ref couldn't get the game started quick enough.
Had I been playing I wouldn't even have made it down to my knee before he would have expected me to get back up again (that would have taken even longer)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm definitely not with you on the last one. Players who are the perceived "guilty party" when one of our men gets booked are always booed, regardless of skin colour or whether they were actually at fault, and I don't think black men should be exempt because of their colour. Maupay got booed, didn't he? I suppose you left him off the list because he's a white man? It really shouldn't matter.

As for Bong and Rodriguez, that's been done to death. Obviously most Brighton fans don't believe Bong could possibly mishear a man who was holding his nose in a stadium with 30,000 fans around. Burnley fans do think he could mishear. We will never agree.

I didn't say that wealth makes you anti-racist. I said that people coming from a rich area like Brighton (and don't deny you're rich - have you seen the prices of your season tickets?!?) singing songs about people from poorer areas having free school meals, is not classy.

He was a bit naughty Yves in that one wasn't he ... yeh fair enough

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL

Focus on your own fans behaviour will you. Constant "flappy hands" and gesticulating from the lot behind the goal.

I felt embarrassed for you on Saturday, imagine working inside or being inside the stadium as an ethnic-minority and hearing large swathes of your local community boo an anti-racist gesture.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I was born in Brighton and grew up there and had free school meals because my father past away and my mum had to bring up three of us up, despite having three jobs it was still a struggle. I would still sing that song to Burnley fans because you have among your support the most racist bigoted fans that I have encountered in recent years.If that song irks the racists and homophobes then I'm glad. Try calling your own fans out first, for their disgusting behaviour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a matter of interest, Marcus Rashford isn't feeding anyone's kids. It's the taxpayers (that's you and me) who are feeding them.

Good chant though.

Yeah MR had nothing to do with it.

We should have sung:-

"Boris Johnson is feeding some kids
Boris Johnson is feeding some kids
But not all his own.
Not all his own.
Boris Johnson is feeding some kids"

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am not racist.

I will boo when the players take the knee.

It has achieved nothing and there are much more important causes for players to get behind.

How about "save the alpaca"?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Racism in football shouldn't be taunted across club lines. This is a problem for us all. It's not an excuse to denigrate a close rival and shouldn't be used as such.

Brighton have racist fans, we will have some who boo the knee. I'm embarrassed by this and will do all I can to condemn it and drive out of my club.

Admitting it is the first step.

DSR, take note mate. Life is much less stressful when you're not trying to defend not very defendable things. You have a good captain there in Ben Mee who speaks with passion on these issues.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I am not racist.

I will boo when the players take the knee.

It has achieved nothing and there are much more important causes for players to get behind.

How about "save the alpaca"?

In all honestly, would you boo "a save the Alpaca" gesture?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As a matter of interest, Marcus Rashford isn't feeding anyone's kids. It's the taxpayers (that's you, me and Marcus Rashford) who are feeding them.

Good chant though.

Marcus Rashford is a taxpayer, right? ???

Plus I'm pretty sure I've seen images of him and his mum literally handing over food parcels to families, so :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Vocally supporting a player for saying a black person STINKS is always going to turn a large number of people against Burnley fans, for obvious reasons.

Even if he wasn’t being intentionally/overtly racist, it was a ****ing stupid thing to do, saying a black person stinks - and supporting that is frankly a bit disturbing, based as it is on the old tribal “he’s one of our own” bollocks basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here