Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Class fans getting recognised…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Question

If the club decided to take action against fans who boo the knee. For example if they issued stadium bans, would you support this? Do you think this is going too far?

Given the obvious effort the club put into their brand and reputation, I don't see it as something which is impossible? Thoughts?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Question

If the club decided to take action against fans who boo the knee. For example if they issued stadium bans, would you support this? Do you think this is going too far?

Given the obvious effort the club put into their brand and reputation, I don't see it as something which is impossible? Thoughts?

Probably a good thing to ban racists from the Amex, can we ban them from life too?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Question

Thoughts? I think you're trying to drag out the binfest. It absolutely is impossible unless it's a large group doing it for publicity. At that point the club has a choice to make that doesn't need to be supported by the fans.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Thoughts? I think you're trying to drag out the binfest. It absolutely is impossible unless it's a large group doing it for publicity. At that point the club has a choice to make that doesn't need to be supported by the fans.

I've got no motivation to do that.

My actual motivation is that i'm horrified by the thought of the good name of my club being sullied by none too subtle racists and very much hope the club take stiff action.

I don't see that it's impossible. People have been banned for audible comments before at other grounds.

Agree that it doesn't have to be supported by the fans. Just wondered if it was

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Question

I can't see anyone banning anyone, anywhere, for booing. Except perhaps at the opera. Or at a Taliban congress.

I like it when racist boo the knee. It smokes them out, without any blood being shed. It gives a club a watermark: decent or nobbers. :shrug:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
But he’s not six nor in a school playground. He’s an adult playing in a very high visibility’ sport where racism has been and still is an issue. He should know better. It was stupid, childish, unacceptable and quite frankly he should be embarrassed.

Trying to defend such stupidity is uncalled for. If he’d apologised at the time for being a dickhead. If Burnley had turned round and said ‘it’s not his finest moment, he’s spoken with Bong and apologised’ then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

At the last home game against Burnley he was warming up in front of the west stand. You could clearly hear a guy shout’ you’re a racist Rodriguez’. Rodriguez looked shocked and not a little upset. As I’ve said before I don’t believe he’s racist but **** me he’s dug a hole for himself by not apologising when he had the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-gaetan-bong-reacted-jay-14530125

There is lots of evidence that he did apologise. Bong says that Rodriguez apologised, and he ought to know.

Yes, Rodriguez behaved like a six year old. He wasn't the first immature footballer and I suspect he won't be the last.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question

I’d support it. Yes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm definitely not with you on the last one. Players who are the perceived "guilty party" when one of our men gets booked are always booed, regardless of skin colour or whether they were actually at fault, and I don't think black men should be exempt because of their colour. Maupay got booed, didn't he? I suppose you left him off the list because he's a white man? It really shouldn't matter.

As for Bong and Rodriguez, that's been done to death. Obviously most Brighton fans don't believe Bong could possibly mishear a man who was holding his nose in a stadium with 30,000 fans around. Burnley fans do think he could mishear. We will never agree.

I didn't say that wealth makes you anti-racist. I said that people coming from a rich area like Brighton (and don't deny you're rich - have you seen the prices of your season tickets?!?) singing songs about people from poorer areas having free school meals, is not classy.

As someone who works with a food bank in Sussex, I’d disagree with the view that it is awash with wealth.

I’ve as little time for those Brighton fans who sing ‘we pay your benefits’ when we play at some Northern venues as those who sing the homophobic nonsense at us. It just perpetuates prejudice. There’s no more wrong with living in an area of social deprivation than there is with being gay.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
As someone who works with a food bank in Sussex, I’d disagree with the view that it is awash with wealth.

I’ve as little time for those Brighton fans who sing ‘we pay your benefits’ when we play at some Northern venues as those who sing the homophobic nonsense at us. It just perpetuates prejudice. There’s no more wrong with living in an area of social deprivation than there is with being gay.

Relatively and comparatively speaking there is a hell of a lot of wealth in Sussex and Brighton and Hove - that's just fact. But the county obviously isn't without poverty and deprivation, too.

Completely agree with the rest of your post

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm definitely not with you on the last one. Players who are the perceived "guilty party" when one of our men gets booked are always booed, regardless of skin colour or whether they were actually at fault, and I don't think black men should be exempt because of their colour. Maupay got booed, didn't he? I suppose you left him off the list because he's a white man? It really shouldn't matter.

As for Bong and Rodriguez, that's been done to death. Obviously most Brighton fans don't believe Bong could possibly mishear a man who was holding his nose in a stadium with 30,000 fans around. Burnley fans do think he could mishear. We will never agree.

I didn't say that wealth makes you anti-racist. I said that people coming from a rich area like Brighton (and don't deny you're rich - have you seen the prices of your season tickets?!?) singing songs about people from poorer areas having free school meals, is not classy.

But what about the "You ****k bas***d" chants from the crowd in the immediate aftermath of the foul?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Question

No, but actual racial abuse, yes.

Anyone who thinks that’s the same thing after all this time is clearly a bit simple.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Question

Maybe they shouldn't ban them but just stop them saying racist things for a few days, repeatedly. Or maybe give them their own area of the ground. Those have both dealt with the problem brilliantly on here :facepalm:

Because as someone once said 'Anyone who's had the misfortune to follow the majority of their NSC "careers" knows exactly what they are...........'

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Burnley as a football club seem to be fine with their fans being stuck in the 80s , I did not see one steward even have words with the scummy group of racists to our right , Bissouma was singled out as the villain, as he had the cheek to get a two footed kick to the chest .

Eradication of the chanting must start with the club itself , and Burnley as a club has obviously done nothing to change the environment.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Burnley as a football club seem to be fine with their fans being stuck in the 80s , I did not see one steward even have words with the scummy group of racists to our right , Bissouma was singled out as the villain, as he had the cheek to get a two footed kick to the chest .

Eradication of the chanting must start with the club itself , and Burnley as a club has obviously done nothing to change the environment.

It was the same at the game a few years back - the first one in the wake of the J-Rod/Bong issue.

Open racism from the Burnley end next to the away section. I am far from one to advocate crying to the authorities - but there was a number of Burnley stewards of Asian, mixed race or Black ethnicity who looked very uncomfortable with what was going on, but did nothing (as far as I could see) to deal with it or report it. Maybe they felt their complaints would fall on deaf ears? Horrible situation to be in when you stop and think about it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was the same at the game a few years back - the first one in the wake of the J-Rod/Bong issue.

Open racism from the Burnley end next to the away section. I am far from one to advocate crying to the authorities - but there was a number of Burnley stewards of Asian, mixed race or Black ethnicity who looked very uncomfortable with what was going on, but did nothing (as far as I could see) to deal with it or report it. Maybe they felt their complaints would fall on deaf ears? Horrible situation to be in when you stop and think about it.

Surely the club could remove the dilemma of the stewards by using CCTV/text reporting/spotters to identify and punish the offenders. Or is it not in its interest to do this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here