Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Clarkson's Farm 2

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just binged S2 on Amazon. What a FINE piece of television.

As in S1, it truly highlights the incredible amount of red tape and frustration (particularly post the B-word) that farmers are facing just to make a living now, in the face of ever diminishing grants from the government. But apart from all that, its beautifully shot, the natural landscapes and creatures they capture are a joy to behold, and its a bloody education. And such a rich source of characters, front of which is Kaleb, who is a young bloke everyone would love to share a pint with. They could have portrayed him as an ignorant bumpkin (never flown, never watched a James Bond film, whats NASI ? (NASA). But quite apart from his practical knowledge of how to farm a field and operate some serious heavy machinery, when you see him step up and pull a calf out of a cows arse, when it was suffocating because its bag had burst, well...he'll be wiser and more able than I will ever be.

I just can't speak highly enough of this series. Clarkson is Marmite, but the way he's thrown himself into farming and invested himself in it (and not just financially) is truly to his credit. The endless hurdles thrown in his way by the local council when he tries to do ANYTHING (farm shop, parking for farm shop, what the sell in farm shop, barn restaurant, field tracks to restaurant) is a sadly typical indictment of the narrow-minded NIMBYs and BANANAs that festoon this country. In this case, it looks like being more out of spite than logic.

But anyway, I digress. 8 episodes of top, top entertainment. I gather there's 1 more in the pipe before the MARKLE pearl-clutching wokeists have got it binned.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA

As in S1, it truly highlights the incredible amount of red tape and frustration (particularly post the B-word) that farmers are facing just to make a living now, in the face of ever diminishing grants from the government. But apart from all that, its beautifully shot, the natural landscapes and creatures they capture are a joy to behold, and its a bloody education. And such a rich source of characters, front of which is Kaleb, who is a young bloke everyone would love to share a pint with. They could have portrayed him as an ignorant bumpkin (never flown, never watched a James Bond film, whats NASI ? (NASA). But quite apart from his practical knowledge of how to farm a field and operate some serious heavy machinery, when you see him step up and pull a calf out of a cows arse, when it was suffocating because its bag had burst, well...he'll be wiser and more able than I will ever be.

I just can't speak highly enough of this series. Clarkson is Marmite, but the way he's thrown himself into farming and invested himself in it (and not just financially) is truly to his credit. The endless hurdles thrown in his way by the local council when he tries to do ANYTHING (farm shop, parking for farm shop, what the sell in farm shop, barn restaurant, field tracks to restaurant) is a sadly typical indictment of the narrow-minded NIMBYs and BANANAs that festoon this country. In this case, it looks like being more out of spite than logic.

But anyway, I digress. 8 episodes of top, top entertainment. I gather there's 1 more in the pipe before the MARKLE pearl-clutching wokeists have got it binned.
😄 "MARKLE pearl-clutching wokeists".....luv it!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I look forward to watching this when i cycle round to Amazon again.

I really enjoyed the first series. Clarkson makes very good television.

Just a pity he is such a monumental bell end - or pretends to be for money and attention.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't as impressed with this season.
To me it felt like they took what seemed natural about season 1, 'Kaleb to the rescue' and forced that up too 11.

Plus ignoring all the shop planning and regs until being forced to bring it in line with what must have been the bazillionth notice, solely because he wanted something else. Only to then cry 'victim' when planning said no to what would be the next nightmare for them, was all a bit pointless.

Great production work and a real insight into the struggles of professional farmers.

I'll still be all in if there's a Series 3, but more than a whiff of diminishing returns on the back of that offering.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I wasn't as impressed with this season.
To me it felt like they took what seemed natural about season 1, 'Kaleb to the rescue' and forced that up too 11.

Plus ignoring all the shop planning and regs until being forced to bring it in line with what must have been the bazillionth notice, solely because he wanted something else. Only to then cry 'victim' when planning said no to what would be the next nightmare for them, was all a bit pointless.

Great production work and a real insight into the struggles of professional farmers.

I'll still be all in if there's a Series 3, but more than a whiff of diminishing returns on the back of that offering.
F**k me.....a smidge away from 70,000 posts! Do you have a life Brother??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Couldn’t have described it any better, the only disappointment for me, not enough on Georgia the NFU rep! Gutted when I finished the last episode!
C36A7D50-1069-4858-8C70-AEE4E9F137C5.jpeg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Clarkson is a £millionaire which is the only way he can keep that farm going. I visited his shop, I was in the Cotswolds with family, and couldn't believe how busy it was in November. Took hours to get into the shop where everything was so overpriced. Biggest selling item was an empty Diddly Squat milk bottle at over £5. Watching Farm 2 you'll see around 10 pallets of these bottles at his house. Big money.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm torn between watching it and continuing my refusal to support anything this arrogant f*** wit produces. What do I do?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Obviously Clarkson has a lot of advantages that are not available to the average farmer, like a huge personal bank balance and a fat fee from Amazon to make the series. It's easy to knock him on that score for 'playing' at being a farmer which certainly seems to be at the root of a lot of resentment locally. I don't think he should be criticised though for trying to make the farm self-sufficient when it's clear farming alone is hardly a viable business any more. Incredible that the planners would so easily dismiss the creation of jobs and the potential for his scheme to keep other farms afloat - felt very sorry for the others who desperately need new sources of income. I appreciate they don't want their tranquility ruined but as the world moves on there's surely got to be some compromise. Not a big fan of Clarkson generally but I do enjoy these programmes immensely.

If nothing else, it makes me think that if I've got to pay a bit more for a pint of milk and the farmers get it, I'm happy to do that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting when he was weighing up whether or not to go to the government to appeal the decision when the council voted to decline planning permission for his restaurant. Seeing him sat down with all his advisors, who explained just how many independent experts he'd need to bring to the table to conduct impact studies on bats, newts, light, travel, access etc etc, you name it. It all sounded very VERY familiar.

Clarkson understandably backed down when the costs of the appeal to the Secretary of State was pushing half a million, with no guarantee of the appeal being a success. Amazing to think back to when DK and the boys had to get round a table and decide whether to push on with an appeal when Falmer was turned down. Quite an enormous gamble when you think about it, given we were just a tinpot club stuck in the noddy leagues, playing at a sports centre, being run on a shoestring budget. Thank christ DK and MP had the sheer bloody-mindedness, confidence and chutzpah to drive that through, with TB then picking up the ball of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here