Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cineworld buys up Duke Of Yorks

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Plus I'd be interested to know, from those disappointed with the decision, how often have you been to the DoY's and when was the last time. Verses trips to the multiplex.

Its five minutes from my sofa to their sofas, its been like a second home over the years and I love it, so this whole process is making me feel nervous and rather sick. It has been saved over the years at the last minute and Picture house have done an amazing job keeping it alive.

Its like Johan Bruyneel has just replaced Braisford at British cycling, lets hope they dob't screw up a beautiful part of my life.

Oh haven't been to the multiplex for years, hence not seen sky fall as yet

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm hoping the decisions on how it is run is kept in-house and not sent out by an analyst on a weekly email action list from some HQ in an industrial estate on the Swindon ring-road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know you were not having a pop. Just loads of misinformation always comes out when things like this happen, so I thought I would set the record straight. Plus it does read a little like an advert for hiring the spaces, which may or may not have been intentional.
I think this is all great shame. What's happened to the room that was like a theatre.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, the biggest room, upstairs has been converted in to a two screen cinema. The cafe has also changed to Duke of York's ownership too. We still have bands downstairs in the basement, where we have taken all the decent sound equipment and lights we could from upstairs and installed them downstairs, with a slightly raised stage to improve sight lines. Basically what we have now is Krater at the weekends downstairs, and music/cabaret/other comedy during the week in a refurbished venue with better sound and lighting.

Komedia still has two spaces, the one in the basement described above, with a capacity of 300 seated and 400 standing, and the Studio Bar which I think is the one you are describing, which has a capacity of 80 seated and 120/140 standing. Both spaces have been refurbished this year and had their lighting and sound systems upgraded.

I'm hoping to visit the Bath one when I go there for a weekend break just b4 Xmas

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All very true.
I might be, a wishy washy, believe in the best of intentions, liberal, but I ain't stooopid.

But assuming the DoY is losing money, why wouldn't they just sell it off anyway?

Plus I'd be interested to know, from those disappointed with the decision, how often have you been to the DoY's and when was the last time. Verses trips to the multiplex.

Go there about once a month..love taking a glass of vino in to the film

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
All very true.
I might be, a wishy washy, believe in the best of intentions, liberal, but I ain't stooopid.

But assuming the DoY is losing money, why wouldn't they just sell it off anyway?

I never really go to the multiplex except for occasional trip with the kids. Go to the DOY probably every 2 -3 weeks although it is very close to me but still would travel for the quality of films. Went to see Sightseeers last week a very weird but good black comedy horror. As long as the cinema stays the same can cope with the cineworld link

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I never really go to the multiplex except for occasional trip with the kids. Go to the DOY probably every 2 -3 weeks although it is very close to me but still would travel for the quality of films. Went to see Sightseeers last week a very weird but good black comedy horror. As long as the cinema stays the same can cope with the cineworld link

Director of sightseers lives nearby in Hanover as well

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nothing will change. The Dukes makes money and will make more with Komedia. The type of people that prefer the Odeon and The Marina will continue to go there and the Dukes audience will continue to pack most night out. Picturehouse will just continue to build more cinemas that aren't full of morons (I appreciate not all people that frequent those places are but I'm not setting foot in The Odeon ever again). Which is nice (for other parts of the UK).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very wary of this. OK my membership may be unaffected (me kids bought me it as an Xmas pressie 48 hours ago) but the Komedia 2 screen thing don't bode well for the original DoY IMHO. New owners seem WAY more interested in the passing trade. Anybody on here rich enough to buy/opt out the DoY? Thereby safeguarding its futute for another couple of years. Cos it just seems to be repeatedly bought up by bigger and bigger companies with lesser and lesser interest in the original premise.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All these things start off with good intentions, and I really hope they can pull it off but large corporations in charge of independent companies sets off alarm bells.
Indeed. If I'm being really cynical I can predict the next few years. It'll start off with no discernible change, then to help cut costs, merge overheads and streamline operations sadly the DoY cinema in Preston Circus and the Komedia will close and the buildings will be sold. Not a decision that was taken lightly, but don't worry, they'll now be a dedicated 'arthouse' screen at the Marina Cineworld multiplex where you will still be able to enjoy the unique DoY experience, and you'll still be allowed to bring your popcorn and coke into the auditorium.

As I say, probably a bit over-cynical, but I am concerned. My wife and I aren't members but we go there a lot as one of our date nights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes heard he did a Q & A at one of the showing, another thing you never get at the multiplex

Homemade cake and a member of staff who gives blow-jobs on the balcony are two more things you don't get at Cineworld.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You may have just doubled DOY membership mentioning this, homemade cake is a big pull for NSC viewers
Stick some pastry around it, and you're on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've been to the DOY quite a lot this year and it seems to have been busier than ever. I've been to more full houses than I have in previous years. I really hope that things continue as they are. The membership is terrific value and I heartily recommend it, the 10per cent discount on the refreshments makes it a pleasant place for a reasonably priced bottle of sunburst too.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Indeed. If I'm being really cynical I can predict the next few years. It'll start off with no discernible change, then to help cut costs, merge overheads and streamline operations sadly the DoY cinema in Preston Circus and the Komedia will close and the buildings will be sold. Not a decision that was taken lightly, but don't worry, they'll now be a dedicated 'arthouse' screen at the Marina Cineworld multiplex where you will still be able to enjoy the unique DoY experience, and you'll still be allowed to bring your popcorn and coke into the auditorium.

As I say, probably a bit over-cynical, but I am concerned. My wife and I aren't members but we go there a lot as one of our date nights.

Komedia are not owned by Cineworld. So they cannot sell us. If Cineworld decided to sell off Duke of York's that would be an issue for Komedia as a business, but Dukes/Picturehouse/Cineworld have taken out a lengthy lease on their part of the property so I'm sure Komedia would survive any potential closure of the cinema.

As for the rest of your post I agree with you. It may take six months, a year, even two years but eventually someone at Cineworld will say "we could do with another three screens of Transformers 8 in Brighton"; "Why are we selling home made cake, McVities will supply us with pre-packaged cake bars at a third of the price" or "Who are Dark Star? Why don't we stock John Smiths in all our venues? That will save us loads of money and it is basically the same thing, right?".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here