Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cineworld buys up Duke Of Yorks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Does this mean they own komedia too?

I imagine they will own all Picturhouse so if Dukes at Komedia is still part of Picturehouse it will now be in the hands of Cineworld

So Cineworld take over Komedia!! The world is slowly falling apart....

Calm down kids! Dukes @ Komedia, Duke of York's Ciinema and Picturehouse are separate companies from Komedia, we just share the same building. Whilst it is not ideal that Komedia will now be sharing a building with the corporate behemoth that is Cineworld, it really is not going to make a difference to us, the big change for Komedia was selling off the top part of the building, who is up there makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm going to throw this out there.

Maybe Cineworld, who do show the occasional eclectic art house stuff, have brought Picturehouse, so they can up scale this market without infringing on it's multiplex market and margins.

They currently have this on the way:-

View attachment 37354

With a cinelink live performance of The Nutcracker later on in the month.

Good point.

It can work. I guess you have to believe in their good intentions and hope they get it right.

For every cinema filler are they prepared to also let some less commercially successful films fly. Will they take risks and will they show stuff that will inspire our film makers of the future etc etc.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Calm down kids! Dukes @ Komedia, Duke of York's Ciinema and Picturehouse are separate companies from Komedia, we just share the same building. Whilst it is not ideal that Komedia will now be sharing a building with the corporate behemoth that is Cineworld, it really is not going to make a difference to us, the big change for Komedia was selling off the top part of the building, who is up there makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

That's good to know I suppose

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh I've no doubt they have done it for that reason but it still means that what was once a small independent chain of cinemas is now part of a huge corporate chain and as stated, if they start losing money in the future they'll likely sell off the buildings to recoup costs. I just plain don't believe that a company like cineworld is not going to have some impact on the way DOY is run.

A possible scenario is another chain like Odeon (biggest) or Vue (3rd biggest) swallowing up Cineworld (2nd biggest) at some point in the future.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I've no doubt they have done it for that reason but it still means that what was once a small independent chain of cinemas is now part of a huge corporate chain and as stated, if they start losing money in the future they'll likely sell off the buildings to recoup costs. I just plain don't believe that a company like cineworld is not going to have some impact on the way DOY is run.
All very true.
I might be, a wishy washy, believe in the best of intentions, liberal, but I ain't stooopid.

But assuming the DoY is losing money, why wouldn't they just sell it off anyway?

Plus I'd be interested to know, from those disappointed with the decision, how often have you been to the DoY's and when was the last time. Verses trips to the multiplex.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Brilliant! Cineworld card holder best news all year!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brilliant! Cineworld card holder best news all year!!

I don't think you can use them at DOY according to the news report I saw I'm afraid.

Stat, I'd like to think it will work out well it's more a principal thing I suppose but only time will tell. I go quite often, not as much this year but I think Skyfall was the last film I saw and that was there. I do go to Cineworld at the Marina as it is close to me but I love the DOY experience, I agree though I don't think it's going to change much if at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hopefully nothing will change. I love the Clapham one with its comfy seats with built in wine glass holders.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can't imagine they will change anything really, I mean they have only just set it all up at Komedia I just hope they don't do a cull of the less well performing sites, although I can't think they would have bought them all up if many were failing, unless.....

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Really hope that nothing will change at the DOY as it really is the perfect cinema experience and feel so lucky to have such a great cinema on our doorstep.

Be interesting to know how the DOY gets on financially but with the expansion into the Komedia would have thought they were doing ok. Plus they say seemed quite canny in putting on the occasional quality blockbuster that probably helps support the more obscure art house ventures. Long may it continue

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
First time I've heard an explanation of what's actually happened there. So they've sold off their biggest room then? No more bands at Komedia? No more 3 krater's in a night?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So if I have understood correctly, all that is left of the Komedia is the narrow bar-room with the small performance space?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Does this now mean that films like Swedish Lesbians in Blackcurrant Jam will now be showing at The Marina?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does this now mean that films like Swedish Lesbians in Blackcurrant Jam will now be showing at The Marina?
Errgghh yuck that disgusting,

Blackcurrant jam

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
First time I've heard an explanation of what's actually happened there. So they've sold off their biggest room then? No more bands at Komedia? No more 3 krater's in a night?

Yes, the biggest room, upstairs has been converted in to a two screen cinema. The cafe has also changed to Duke of York's ownership too. We still have bands downstairs in the basement, where we have taken all the decent sound equipment and lights we could from upstairs and installed them downstairs, with a slightly raised stage to improve sight lines. Basically what we have now is Krater at the weekends downstairs, and music/cabaret/other comedy during the week in a refurbished venue with better sound and lighting.

So if I have understood correctly, all that is left of the Komedia is the narrow bar-room with the small performance space?

Komedia still has two spaces, the one in the basement described above, with a capacity of 300 seated and 400 standing, and the Studio Bar which I think is the one you are describing, which has a capacity of 80 seated and 120/140 standing. Both spaces have been refurbished this year and had their lighting and sound systems upgraded.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, the biggest room, upstairs has been converted in to a two screen cinema. The cafe has also changed to Duke of York's ownership too. We still have bands downstairs in the basement, where we have taken all the decent sound equipment and lights we could from upstairs and installed them downstairs, with a slightly raised stage to improve sight lines. Basically what we have now is Krater at the weekends downstairs, and music/cabaret/other comedy during the week in a refurbished venue with better sound and lighting.

Komedia still has two spaces, the one in the basement described above, with a capacity of 300 seated and 400 standing, and the Studio Bar which I think is the one you are describing, which has a capacity of 80 seated and 120/140 standing. Both spaces have been refurbished this year and had their lighting and sound systems upgraded.

Sorry, wasn't having a pop, I love the Komedia and I love the small bar, I have seen some great Hammer and Tongue nights in there and is a good space for stuff like Scary Mary etc.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sorry, wasn't having a pop, I love the Komedia and I love the small bar, I have seen some great Hammer and Tongue nights in there and is a good space for stuff like Scary Mary etc.

I know you were not having a pop. Just loads of misinformation always comes out when things like this happen, so I thought I would set the record straight. Plus it does read a little like an advert for hiring the spaces, which may or may not have been intentional.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know you were not having a pop. Just loads of misinformation always comes out when things like this happen, so I thought I would set the record straight. Plus it does read a little like an advert for hiring the spaces, which may or may not have been intentional.

Cool. Thanks, never hurts to advertise!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here