Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cineworld buys up Duke Of Yorks

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cineworld are to purchase Picturhouse. I hope they don't ruin it or sell the building off. I give it 2-3 years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why would they do that??

They will likely keep going as it is as it will cover an area of the market they didn't previously cover, but DOY has been in financial trouble before, it may be again and if places don't make money for large corporations they tend to jettison them. I hope not. Either way it's sad to see them having to lose their independence.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They have paid £47M for 21 sites around the country :ohmy: I think Cineworld want to go upmarket with some of their venues , which cannot be done with multiplexes but taking over Picturehouse is an ideal fit by buying arthouse cinemas for a more discerning clientele.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh heck ! There go the decent films, the wine, the decent cake...hello Ice Age, Shrek and Spidey, popcorn and additive laden jelly sweets... Doh !

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
If it saves the place and it's not completely ruined then fair enough but such a shame it had to go that way

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I posted this in the Film 2012 thread this morning. For some reason that thread is now in the other stuff section

Business As Usual | Picturehouse Cinemas

It has been announced today, 6th December, that the shares of the Picturehouse cinemas (City Screen Ltd) have been acquired by Cineworld Plc. This exciting change will enable us to open more Picturehouse Cinemas – we are currently exploring opportunities in 10 locations.

Lyn Goleby, Managing Director – Picturehouse, said:

"The Picturehouse cinemas, and all that we stand for, will remain as before and will operate as a standalone division of Cineworld. Everyone recognises that the success of this change depends on the unique nature of the Picturehouse cinemas being protected; the programming policy will not change, the membership schemes will remain in place and the independent identity of the cinemas will be protected. The existing management teams are all staying in their current roles and will continue to ensure that ‘business as usual’ is maintained."

What changes will I see at my local Picturehouse?
Cineworld values our independent identity and the way our cinemas are operated, so there are no plans to change this.

We will continue to offer the Picturehouse experience; the films and events that we screen, our food and drink, our unique community venues - they won't change. We will still be keeping the identity of our existing cinemas and preserving their spirit of independence.

What it does mean is that it offers us the chance to open more Picturehouse cinemas, more quickly than before.

Will ticket prices be affected?
Picturehouse will continue to set its own pricing policy, and remain independent from Cineworld’s pricing policy.

How will this affect film programming?
The programming of Picturehouse cinemas and Cineworld cinemas will remain independent.

We will still be screening a range of features, from art-house, independent, classic, documentary and world cinema films to Hollywood blockbusters.

How will this affect my Picturehouse Membership?
This change in ownership will have no effect on Picturehouse membership. You will still enjoy the same benefits and discounts at your local Picturehouse Cinema.

Your membership will not be valid at Cineworld cinemas and, likewise, the Cineworld Unlimited Card will not be valid at Picturehouse cinemas.

Will there be any job losses?
We do not anticipate any job losses, as a result of this acquisition.

Customer enquires
If you would like to get in touch or have any questions, please email customerservice@picturehouses.co.uk

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's a real shame but I say that with a tinge of hypocrisy because I've probably only been to see 2 films there in the 2 years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
All these things start off with good intentions, and I really hope they can pull it off but large corporations in charge of independent companies sets off alarm bells.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I posted this in the Film 2012 thread this morning. For some reason that thread is now in the othe stuff section

Business As Usual | Picturehouse Cinemas

It has been announced today, 6th December, that the shares of the Picturehouse cinemas (City Screen Ltd) have been acquired by Cineworld Plc. This exciting change will enable us to open more Picturehouse Cinemas – we are currently exploring opportunities in 10 locations.

Lyn Goleby, Managing Director – Picturehouse, said:

"The Picturehouse cinemas, and all that we stand for, will remain as before and will operate as a standalone division of Cineworld. Everyone recognises that the success of this change depends on the unique nature of the Picturehouse cinemas being protected; the programming policy will not change, the membership schemes will remain in place and the independent identity of the cinemas will be protected. The existing management teams are all staying in their current roles and will continue to ensure that ‘business as usual’ is maintained."

What changes will I see at my local Picturehouse?
Cineworld values our independent identity and the way our cinemas are operated, so there are no plans to change this.

We will continue to offer the Picturehouse experience; the films and events that we screen, our food and drink, our unique community venues - they won't change. We will still be keeping the identity of our existing cinemas and preserving their spirit of independence.

What it does mean is that it offers us the chance to open more Picturehouse cinemas, more quickly than before.

Will ticket prices be affected?
Picturehouse will continue to set its own pricing policy, and remain independent from Cineworld’s pricing policy.

How will this affect film programming?
The programming of Picturehouse cinemas and Cineworld cinemas will remain independent.

We will still be screening a range of features, from art-house, independent, classic, documentary and world cinema films to Hollywood blockbusters.

How will this affect my Picturehouse Membership?
This change in ownership will have no effect on Picturehouse membership. You will still enjoy the same benefits and discounts at your local Picturehouse Cinema.

Your membership will not be valid at Cineworld cinemas and, likewise, the Cineworld Unlimited Card will not be valid at Picturehouse cinemas.

Will there be any job losses?
We do not anticipate any job losses, as a result of this acquisition.

Customer enquires
If you would like to get in touch or have any questions, please email customerservice@picturehouses.co.uk

Cheers for this, I have a dread the big company will F things up and ruin what is a good independent run company...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A small part of me just died a little.

It really isn't good is it. Even it remains as it is which I doubt in the long term, it is no longer an independent. Sad day for Brighton as another piece of our unique independent make-up inches closer to the Abyss.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Does this mean they own komedia too?

I imagine they will own all Picturhouse so if Dukes at Komedia is still part of Picturehouse it will now be in the hands of Cineworld

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I imagine they will own all Picturhouse so if Dukes at Komedia is still part of Picturehouse it will now be in the hands of Cineworld

So Cineworld take over Komedia!! The world is slowly falling apart....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to throw this out there.

Maybe Cineworld, who do show the occasional eclectic art house stuff, have brought Picturehouse, so they can up scale this market without infringing on it's multiplex market and margins.

They currently have this on the way:-

5287_poster_large.jpg

With a cinelink live performance of The Nutcracker later on in the month.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I went there last year to see a samurai film in 3D as part of Cine City, and they wanted a tenner to get in :ohmy:

Didn't bother in the end

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm going to throw this out there.

Maybe Cineworld, who do show the occasional eclectic, have brought Picturehouse, so they can up scale this market without infringing on it's multiplex market and margins.

They currently have this on the way:-

View attachment 37354

With a cinelink live performance of The Nutcracker later on in the month.

Oh I've no doubt they have done it for that reason but it still means that what was once a small independent chain of cinemas is now part of a huge corporate chain and as stated, if they start losing money in the future they'll likely sell off the buildings to recoup costs. I just plain don't believe that a company like cineworld is not going to have some impact on the way DOY is run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here