Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas tipping

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I spent the tip our postie would have got on buying another secret Santa present for our work do. The original one still hasn't arrived after dispatching (with Royal Mail) on the 6th.
I'll be leaving a crate of beer out for the binmen tomorrow and our Evri driver Terence, who is an absolute diamond, will get a nice bottle of red wine again.
I have a hair cut tomorrow, so she'll get £20.
I'm grateful to be able to afford to show my gratitude in this way.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Head bursar at a school I work at gets a bottle of champagne brandy, chocolates for the secretary, crate of beer for the caretakers, chocolates for the guy in my bathroom showroom (he doesn't drink)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
two women on our bin collection, one is a young attractive lady my daughter went to school with. She qualified as a nurse!!
With all due respect to refuse and recycling operatives, this tells us all we need to know about the state of the nation.

tipping is for service over and above Normal/expected. IMO.

I don't feel guilty for the hardship caused by others.

It does infuriate me though.

I will discretionally 'over pay' on occasion.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Head bursar at a school I work at gets a bottle of champagne brandy, chocolates for the secretary, crate of beer for the caretakers, chocolates for the guy in my bathroom showroom (he doesn't drink)
Priate industry? Vat free?

How the other half live!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
£25 for our excellent binmen. Yes they are all men.
Just caught the postie, who seems to be our latest ‘regular’ and gave him a fiver.
I always tip the fellow who cuts my hair and also tip good service in a restaurant/ hotel.
Not keen on the Discretionary Service Charge which seems to have appeared everywhere now.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I usually try to keep it similar/fair, £50 to my driver, assistant, cleaner, yoga teacher, masseur, drug dealer, tart etc. Actually it gets quite expensive now I come to think of it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
two women on our bin collection, one is a young attractive lady my daughter went to school with. She qualified as a nurse!!
I have all sorts of images and thoughts in my mind at the moment

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Taxis, hairdresser, cafes and restaurants all times of the year and regardless of whether they excelled or not. I usually give 15%.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I usually try to keep it similar/fair, £50 to my driver, assistant, cleaner, yoga teacher, masseur, drug dealer, tart etc. Actually it gets quite expensive now I come to think of it!
With a name like middletoenail, don’t tell me you’ve missed out your podiatrist.😮😀

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Tip the postmen after all the sh*t they have had to put up with this year with 30% less staff this Xmas with having to put up with bullying management
Posties get all the angst from People about there parcels or letters not coming but 9 times out of 10 the delay is further up the chain
There wooe wont be a Postman next year I expect after the Privately owned Royal Mail will be broken up and will be another self employed zero contract parcels company on minimum wage with owner drivers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just do good deeds all year round :shrug: When boiling hot, give binman ice cold drinks etc. Must be in the blood, my mum and dad made a cuppa for their binmen every week for decades. They used to always take their break outside the house and out the oldies would go with a tray, milk, sugar and biscuits. Mum dad always like that, they helped tramps with new clothes, invited in for a hot meal, sent on way with packet of cigarettes after, gave people stranded a bed for night (got kicked out my bedroom on more than one occasion!) and so forth. Numerous occasions over the years. She was a very kind soul my Mum, just like her Dad. Pillar of community!!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This..... to a degree.

Should you tip the checkout operator at the supermarket ?

They are doing their job to job too. Having said that, I do tip in restaurants which is illogical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here