Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas tipping

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Refuse collections on Christmas Day ? Really?
Yes, our local council empty the bins on Christmas Day. They start at 03.00 so are done and home by lunchtime. Couldn’t believe it the first time it happened!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I only tip my barber and good service in restaurants these days. Simply don’t have the spare cash to be topping up the wages of everyone that performs their job.

Barber gets £2.
Good service in restaurants I’ll give 10%

I’d say binman is acceptable. I have never once seen a female on the bins.
We’ve have a female on the bins here in Crickhowell. I’d definitely agree that she’s in the minority when it comes to the world of waste collection.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not a tradition to tip the binmen/post people etc. here at Christmas, unfortunately. When I get rich I'll but a bottle of whisky or something for them.

Only used to tip at restaurants and bars but cash is obsolete here now so its not a thing any more, though the card terminals allow you to pay extra but no one does it as the money most likely won't really go to the workers.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Our milkman gets either fiver or tenner in a card (depending on what cash I actually have while sorting it) as they are amazing and delivers whatever the weather. The postman usually would get a fiver if it's the regular one. If my Charlton ticket doesn't turn up however the postie is getting sod all this year.

Got communal bins at the end of my road so rubbish is never collected from my doorstep and the recycling guys are twunts that just chuck the boxes back in the front garden willy-nilly so aren't getting anything.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Got a nice hamper today from a company I do some work for.
8A01994E-AA88-4ACE-8D2E-8C3A6AC5B636.jpeg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If they can afford to go on strike, they don't need/deserve a tip.
I'll give to Raystede, but humans can do one as they are the cause of the worlds problems

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
£20 a head, so £80 for the bin men and £40 for my two posties.

Some might point to various industrial action in the past year, but the bottom line is they are all hard working blokes, looking out for their families but forced to withdraw their Labour due to the ongoing issues in the country.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
My lady and I both cannot wrap gifts to save our lives, so we both tip the people we take our stuff in which they wrap it up for us. Yes they charge a fee for doing so, but we give them a tip also. As far as waiters and anyone else, just depends if we were satisfied with the service or not tbh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a tradition to tip the binmen/post people etc. here at Christmas, unfortunately. When I get rich I'll but a bottle of whisky or something for them.

Only used to tip at restaurants and bars but cash is obsolete here now so its not a thing any more, though the card terminals allow you to pay extra but no one does it as the money most likely won't really go to the workers.
Some restauranteurs here used to take the tips INTENDED FOR STAFF when paid by card. Until it was made illegal.

I often quietly asked the waiter, when paying, whether they received all the tips.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My binpeople (couple of women if I can assume gender identity just from a visual glance) have been shit for the 15 years i've lived at this address so have never ever been deserving of a tip (I did help organise a luxury food hamper for them during the proper lockdown but regret doing so tbf).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My binpeople (couple of women if I can assume gender identity just from a visual glance) have been shit for the 15 years i've lived at this address so have never ever been deserving of a tip (I did help organise a luxury food hamper for them during the proper lockdown but regret doing so tbf).
The way you've expressed that I shouldn't think they have any interest in your tip.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
three weeks running Lewes binmen left one full rubbish bag in the bottom of my wheely bin due to not being arsed to reach inside and pull it out. Not sure why they don’t simply attach the bin to the back of the truck rather than “decanting” it, like they used to, having said that I once watched from my window my previous wheely go straight into the back of the truck albeit accidentally. They then drove off like Simon on his driving lesson in The Imbetweeners when he backed into that car. I rang up to complain but they denied it. So in a nutshell they’re getting the steam off my piss

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I'll tip in restaurants if there is no service charge the service has been good. That said, virtually every restaurant now uses service charges.

Cleaner gets £20.
Its sneaky the service charge and I understand you don't have to pay it. I never do and its never been challenged

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here