Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas tipping

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you tip your refuse collectors (related: is binmen / dustmen an acceptable term in 2022?), your postman and similar?

Who gets a tip and how much do they get?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I only tip my barber and good service in restaurants these days. Simply don’t have the spare cash to be topping up the wages of everyone that performs their job.

Barber gets £2.
Good service in restaurants I’ll give 10%

I’d say binman is acceptable. I have never once seen a female on the bins.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think they are closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I only tip my barber and good service in restaurants these days. Simply don’t have the spare cash to be topping up the wages of everyone that performs their job.

Barber gets £2.

I did today for the first time….. bit scrawny she was …… (Old man Steptoe 1970)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Post-woman gets an M&S voucher as it’s been the same person for 3 years and she’s really good with leaving things etc

Dog Walker gets a voucher as she’s pretty flexible with pick ups / drop offs when we’ve needed it

Barber & car valet will get a bit as they are reliable and again have changed appointments at short notice

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
20e to the bin men. Brilliant service here collected 3 nights a week (Tues, Thurs, Sun) including Christmas Day if it falls that way. They'll also take any large stuff put out by the bin. Can't praise them enough - real service.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Limit this to restaurants only and even then the service has to warrant it.

Saying that attended a self service Chinese buffet not too long ago who put on a service charge, which we queried and explained we wouldn’t be paying as we had performed to the required standard

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Barber gets £2.

two women on our bin collection, one is a young attractive lady my daughter went to school with. She qualified as a nurse!!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'll tip our regular delivery driver who brings all my wife's shit to the door and bungs it under the gate when we are not in. Poor bloke must be sick of the sight of our house. The postie can do one though. It's taking forever at the minute and I'll give you 25-1 Charlton turns up today.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'll tip in restaurants if there is no service charge the service has been good. That said, virtually every restaurant now uses service charges.

Cleaner gets £20.

talk2knighty

Dec 26, 2014
20e to the bin men. Brilliant service here collected 3 nights a week (Tues, Thurs, Sun) including Christmas Day if it falls that way. They'll also take any large stuff put out by the bin. Can't praise them enough - real service.e fuse
Refuse collections on Christmas Day ? Really?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I wouldn’t now tip my postman/woman simply because there’s a different one every time I see them.

This is either a triumph of modern shift work and staff rotation, increasing staff adaptability and preventing employees becoming comfortable and/or over familiar with customers, or a tearing apart of community links that (together with vastly increased workload) further harms those who are already socially isolated.

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Unless they go above and beyond, why would should we tip somebody for doing the job they’re paid for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here