[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Why wont your all powerful God stop earthquakes and tsunamis killing large numbers? They have nothing to do with free will.
I'm sure this isn't an original thought, but it occurs to me that the movement of the earth's crust, and many of the reasons that happens (Earth having a hot partially molten interior for example), are actually esstential to life on Earth in general and human life specifically.
See also the climate and hurricanes, and probably a most other natural disasters.
I'm not suggesting this as an argument for or against anything, but I find it interesting.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I'm sure this isn't an original thought, but it occurs to me that the movement of the earth's crust, and many of the reasons that happens (Earth having a hot partially molten interior for example), are actually esstential to life on Earth in general and human life specifically.
See also the climate and hurricanes, and probably a most other natural disasters.
I'm not suggesting this as an argument for or against anything, but I find it interesting.
Earthquakes happen, but why do they kill people?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I've been told off for not answering a question, although it wasn't intentional, so can someone answer my question: Most suffering in the world today is caused by people. There is more than enough food to feed everyone, but people are starving. Is that God's fault or ours? Hundreds of thousands have died in the Ukraine. Whose fault are these two things?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
It's an interesting point you make, but I can only say that my subjective opinion is that I have not noticed a difference between the Jesus portrayed in the different gospels.
Let’s start by looking at Mark and Matthew. Note that none of the gospels were written by who they claim to be, the names were a much later addition by the church. I order them Mark , then Matthew as Mark was written first, Matthew and Luke copy Mark (often word for word), add some bits and subtract others.

You say that you “have not noticed a difference between the Jesus portrayed in the different gospels”. Here are three significant differences for you:
  1. In Matthew Jesus was born of a virgin with the help of the Holy Ghost. But not in Mark. I think this is quite a big difference.
  2. The Sermon on the Mount appears in Matthew but not in Mark. It is a major part of Jesus’s teaching, so why did Mark ignore it? Unless it was a later addition and Jesus didn’t actually say it. Which makes sense as the chance of such a nice piece of literature surviving intact for many decades through the oral tradition is low.
  3. Jesus does not appear after his death in Mark, but does in Matthew.
The gospel of John is completely different to the synoptic gospels. It adds turning water into wine, healing miracles, raising Lazarus from the dead, all of Jesus “I am” saying. And it omits the Virgin birth, baptism by John, the parables, Lord’s Supper, and trial before the Sanhedrin.

In Mark, Jesus starts as a human, apocalyptic preacher, and ends up - in John - as god. That strikes me as quite a big difference!

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I've been told off for not answering a question, although it wasn't intentional, so can someone answer my question: Most suffering in the world today is caused by people. There is more than enough food to feed everyone, but people are starving. Is that God's fault or ours? Hundreds of thousands have died in the Ukraine. Whose fault are these two things?
As god doesn’t exist, these problems are the fault of people.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The second is Putin's... the first is more complex.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I've got no beef with you. You stringly believe what you know to be true. The thing is though so do many Jew's, Moslems, Hindu's, witches and every other belief system on earth.
I appreciate your saying that. I think we're all doing our best to find the truth. There may be atheists who'd like there to be a loving creator, but don't want to let themselves believe something that turns out not to be true, which in itself isn't an unreasonable position as long as they are honest and open to the evidence. For that reason they are cautious lest they fall for something untrue.

There are many atheists, Hindus, Muslims etc who end up seeing things the way I do. I recently saw a video of a close associate of Richard Dawkins who has now become a follower of Jesus.

IF you are right then you'll be in paradise forever and the rest of us will suffer damnation in hell. You will all sit up at the feet of Jesus and say, "yes lord that is a just punishment for them not believing in you. Isn't that right Donald, George, Jacob?"

and God will say "Hang on are you eating shellfish and wearing wool and cotton together?"
So where do you want to be? With me forever or not?

Edit :by this I mean in the place where I'm going to be

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Let’s start by looking at Mark and Matthew. Note that none of the gospels were written by who they claim to be, the names were a much later addition by the church. I order them Mark , then Matthew as Mark was written first, Matthew and Luke copy Mark (often word for word), add some bits and subtract others.

You say that you “have not noticed a difference between the Jesus portrayed in the different gospels”. Here are three significant differences for you:
  1. In Matthew Jesus was born of a virgin with the help of the Holy Ghost. But not in Mark. I think this is quite a big difference.
  2. The Sermon on the Mount appears in Matthew but not in Mark. It is a major part of Jesus’s teaching, so why did Mark ignore it? Unless it was a later addition and Jesus didn’t actually say it. Which makes sense as the chance of such a nice piece of literature surviving intact for many decades through the oral tradition is low.
  3. Jesus does not appear after his death in Mark, but does in Matthew.
The gospel of John is completely different to the synoptic gospels. It adds turning water into wine, healing miracles, raising Lazarus from the dead, all of Jesus “I am” saying. And it omits the Virgin birth, baptism by John, the parables, Lord’s Supper, and trial before the Sanhedrin.

In Mark, Jesus starts as a human, apocalyptic preacher, and ends up - in John - as god. That strikes me as quite a big difference!
A quick and perhaps slightly flippant answer is: if they were all absolutely identical then there wouldn't really be 4 different gospels, there'd just be the same one repeated 4 times.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Earthquakes happen, but why do they kill people?
What do you expect to happen if half a hillside falls on your head during an earthquake, earthquakes trigger volcanic eruptions which can cover an area swiftly in deadly ash, earthquakes trigger tsunamis which drown people.
Why do they kill people?.............are you having a laugh?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
What do you expect to happen if half a hillside falls on your head during an earthquake, earthquakes trigger volcanic eruptions which can cover an area swiftly in deadly ash, earthquakes trigger tsunamis which drown people.
Why do they kill people?.............are you having a laugh?
No, I'm not having a laugh, but a lot of people died in Turkey because of people not complying with building regs so they could make more profit. Is that God's fault that they cut corners so that they could make more money? Is God to blame for that?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Quick, flippant, stupid and not addressing the issue. What I’ve come to expect from most people blinded by their faith.
Hey hey, I was just being whimsical. I was planning to give you a more considered answer when I had a bit more time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thank you. We'll do our best.
Ok, a couple more questions because I am genuinely interested in your answer.

I do not believe in your false god, that is my purgative as it your to believe in him, we have established that.
I according to you am going to hell when I die, and so are all the other non believers correct ?
Where do you stand on the LGBT community and do they
1: go to hell because they are in the LGBT community ?
2: If they are in LGBT community and do believe in Jesus/God do they still go to hell ?

No slippery answers, I would appreciate your honest answer, thank you
I won't judge you, unlike your god.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Ok, a couple more questions because I am genuinely interested in your answer.

I do not believe in your false god, that is my purgative as it your to believe in him, we have established that.
I according to you am going to hell when I die, and so are all the other non believers correct ?
Where do you stand on the LGBT community and do they
1: go to hell because they are in the LGBT community ?
2: If they are in LGBT community and do believe in Jesus/God do they still go to hell ?

No slippery answers, I would appreciate your honest answer, thank you
I won't judge you, unlike your god.
Leviticus 20:13 says that gay men should be put to death. I guess that means they don’t get to go to heaven.

Your second question is interesting as, if a gay person ‘believes’, are they saved? Over to @kuzushi.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is your god's fault for not ensuring food is available where needed. it is your god's fault for not protecting the Ukrainian who had no interest in war.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports