Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Almost every Christian I've met seems to be a genuinely really good person. Like, ridiculously good - always wanting to do the right thing, and aspiring to be the best person they can be.

Not sure if it's just Christian values, or whether it's the belief that there is a God judging them for their actions, but either way for whatever reason they seem to be very good people... model citizens, almost.

Makes me wonder whether the demise of Christianity is a bad thing - and that atheism has resulted in selfishness and narcissism, where nothing matters but oneself.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There’s certainly good values in all religion if adapted to suit the modern world (homophobia, sexism, killing people) etc. I’ve met some lovely christians, some judgemental sneery ones who think they’re better than everyone and also some who stupidly try and push their religion on you.

Same as most groups in society I guess 😬

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Almost every Christian I've met seems to be a genuinely really good person. Like, ridiculously good - always wanting to do the right thing, and aspiring to be the best person they can be.

Not sure if it's just Christian values, or whether it's the belief that there is a God judging them for their actions, but either way for whatever reason they seem to be very good people... model citizens, almost.

Makes me wonder whether the demise of Christianity is a bad thing - and that atheism has resulted in selfishness and narcissism, where nothing matters but oneself.
It's good that you've had good experiences with Christians. All a Christian is is a sinner who has repented and chosen to follow Jesus, and if they're sincere and genuine then they should aspire to conform to "the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake."
The blood of Jesus is what gets you to heaven, but a transformed life is evidence that you are truly saved.
If your life isn't transformed through your faith in Jesus, you need to make sure you are truly on the narrow path that leads to life.
Jesus said there is a path that leads to life, and a path that leads to destruction. According to Jesus, most people are on the path to destruction, and very few are on the path to life. He said that not everyone who says to him "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven: ‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God – 2 the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3 regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life[a] was a descendant of David, 4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power[b] by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from[c] faith for his name’s sake. 6 And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

7 To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There’s certainly good values in all religion if adapted to suit the modern world (homophobia, sexism, killing people) etc. I’ve met some lovely christians, some judgemental sneery ones who think they’re better than everyone and also some who stupidly try and push their religion on you.

Same as most groups in society I guess 😬
Surely the point of a religion is absolute truth. If a religion departs from its original doctrine then does it not become something else ? And if a religion, a devotion to the almighty and revered being, moves to a new emphasis is that not blasphemy ?

For me the fact that religions change and evolve in line with cultural practise is a sign of invalidation of their original claims and renders them no different to cultural ideals. Or perhaps the original religion exists but is no longer practised.

This brings the question as to why folk follow them in the first place and, again, we see that they run in line with culture. If you or I were born in Pakistan we would be Muslims.

Addressing the original point, yes, most Christians (as in those with genuine faith) are nice people. But more often than not so are those without. I've always regarded myself as Christian, but sometimes I question that against my indoctrination from a young age. Sometimes I feel I'm not and that perhaps perceived faith is an insurance policy for the afterlife.

Human beings are extremely insecure creatures full of contradictions. I should now, I'm one of them.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Nah they might be decent people but they're still just a member of a cult like all other religion's. It baffles me billions of people still believe in "god"
Perhaps you're going in the wrong direction then.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
What about the Christians who try and make you watch football on TV from a weird angle? I mean, they seem nice but I like my side-on view.
I feel like you're picking on me here, as if I was ramming my angle idea down your throat. Don't know why you would think that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here