Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Christian Eriksen

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thank God he's alright.

The facilities at modern football grounds now are just superb. Big shout out to the Brighton Diagnostic Treatment Centre by the East stand at The Amex and everyone that works there. Heroes. :thumbsup:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Should/could have cut to the studio earlier I guess but most important thing is he seems to be stable and in bloody good hands. One of my old team at work is best mates with the doc that treated Mwamba on the pitch, these people are amazing.
Not allowed, can only go back to studio when UEFA allows it.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Shocking scenes, but it appears that things aren't as bad as we all feared thanks in no small part to quick medical intervention.

In a time where the world has been in debt to medicine, it's just one more reason to be grateful for what we have and value it accordingly.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The fact that they used a defribulator on Christian points to it being some kind of arrhythmia leading to cardiac arrest.
Not a heart attack, which is not the same.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Wow. Just Wow. Feared for the worst - he would appear to have a fighting chance now.

Horrible scenes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apparently most people stayed in the stadium and right now the Finish fans are yelling "Christian!" with the rest of the stadium responding "Eriksen". Football is great sometimes.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Fantastic news that the Danish FA have confirmed he is awake and stable. Just a huge huge relief- it shows how far the game has come and sadly the culmination of many lessons that needed to be learned from previous tragedies. Just feel for Christian, his wife and both his team and his wider club teammates.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has anyone got any idea what happened to him? No thrashing around or clutching his chest, just a stagger, fall forward, convulsions, eyes dilated, unconsciousness.

Yes. He went into ventricular fibrillation. Loss of blood supply means you faint and within 10 seconds you'll be unconscious. You may have a quick panicky convulsion but you generally won't rememember this if you recover. Then you need to get a cardiac output. A defibrillator is best, but a thump to the chest may do it.

Unlike old ******** like me, this won't be a heart attack (acute myocardial ischaemia due to a sudden block of a coronary (heart) artery (thrombosis on top of an old atheroma - you can look these words up)) it will be a primary electrical event - an arrhythmia caused by a slightly weird cell ion channel, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Best of luck to him. I expect he will be fine, now. At risk of another event, but probably preventable (reverse the cardiomyopathy by lowering amounts of exercise, possibly drugs).

Either way, the poor sod will never play again. Lucky for him he's 29 and had a nice career.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes. He went into ventricular fibrillation. Loss of blood supply means you faint and within 10 seconds you'll be unconscious. You may have a quick panicky convulsion but you generally won't rememember this if you recover. Then you need to get a cardiac output. A defibrillator is best, but a thump to the chest may do it.

Unlike old ******** like me, this won't be a heart attack (acute myocardial ischaemia due to a sudden block of a coronary (heart) artery (thrombosis on top of an old atheroma - you can look these words up)) it will be a primary electrical event - an arrhythmia caused by a slightly weird cell ion channel, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Best of luck to him. I expect he will be fine, now. At risk of another event, but probably preventable (reverse the cardiomyopathy by lowering amounts of exercise, possibly drugs).

Either way, the poor sod will never play again. Lucky for him he's 29 and had a nice career.

What he said.:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Thanks, that is interesting information and something I had absolutely no knowledge of :thumbsup:

Being at the stadium when this happened probably saved his life?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not allowed, can only go back to studio when UEFA allows it.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Is that true? I know the broadcasters have a shared feed but I find it hard to believe they’re obliged to remain with it come what may. You’d imagine that some sort of discretion would be permitted for exactly this kind of event. If broadcasters really have no say at all about when they can return to the studios then UEFA needs to learn from this and create opt outs for exceptional circumstances.

Anyway, that’s all for another time. Simply delighted that Eriksen is stable and will hopefully suffer no long term ill effects.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

Expert analysis. Could also have been ventricular tachycardia, which along with ventricular fibrillation is one of two 'shockable' arrhythmia on the advanced life support algorithm. It's definitely one of these as at one point in the footage it was clear he was receiving shocks from a defibrillator.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004

that is interesting, thank you for sharing.

is it something you can never be aware you might have - ie happens completely at random to anyone?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Can't believe what I've just heard on the news, I've been trying to avoid it for the last hour.

F***ing amazing. There are some truly fantastic people around :thumbsup:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Game resuming at 7.30pm. not sure how i feel about that but i assume all the players have agreed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Expert analysis. Could also have been ventricular tachycardia, which along with ventricular fibrillation is one of two 'shockable' arrhythmia on the advanced life support algorithm. It's definitely one of these as at one point in the footage it was clear he was receiving shocks from a defibrillator.

You're absolutely correct. Or indeed torsades de pointes (which is a form of VT as I suspect you already know). I've been doing research on this (primarily ischaemia-induced VF) for 35 years.

Apparently they are planning to carry on the game tonight. If CE gives his blessing, fair enough.

As an aside, I am trying to get published the culmination of a lifetime's research - an new drug for ischaemia-induced VF. Nothing to do with the current case and its pathology which is far more rare an event. Ischaemia-induced VF is currently the single most common cause of death in the UK. Not a lot of people seem to know that, which always baffles me...

All the best :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here