Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Christian Eriksen

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
James Taylor, the ex England batsman had a similar cardiac problem, luckily it was picked up during heart scans. He was forced to retire early, and was fitted with a implantable cardioverter defrbulator.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You're absolutely correct. Or indeed torsades de pointes (which is a form of VT as I suspect you already know). I've been doing research on this (primarily ischaemia-induced VF) for 35 years.

Apparently they are planning to carry on the game tonight. If CE gives his blessing, fair enough.

As an aside, I am trying to get published the culmination of a lifetime's research - an new drug for ischaemia-induced VF. Nothing to do with the current case and its pathology which is far more rare an event. Ischaemia-induced VF is currently the single most common cause of death in the UK. Not a lot of people seem to know that, which always baffles me...

All the best :thumbsup:

I am in awe of your oversized brain, I promise never to knock your obscure taste in music again :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that is interesting, thank you for sharing.

is it something you can never be aware you might have - ie happens completely at random to anyone?

This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tiny malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of arrhythmia (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

In such a population it is random but the probability is increased by hypertrophy (heart elargement). If you are a professional athlete it would be wise to get an ECG from time to time, and even echocardiography which can detect hypertrophy.

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. So it could be a much rarer form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercise will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Fabrice Muamba heart stopped for 78 minutes in 2012 and he recovered and is apparently well and with us today.

The wonders of modern technology, and obviously I'm hoping the same outlook will happen in this case, and it turns out he recovered somewhat quicker as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am in awe of your oversized brain, I promise never to knock your obscure taste in music again :wink:

:lolol:

As my musical taste attests I know little of value about anything other than ventricular arrhythmias :wink:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes. He went into ventricular fibrillation. Loss of blood supply means you faint and within 10 seconds you'll be unconscious. You may have a quick panicky convulsion but you generally won't rememember this if you recover. Then you need to get a cardiac output. A defibrillator is best, but a thump to the chest may do it.

Unlike old ******** like me, this won't be a heart attack (acute myocardial ischaemia due to a sudden block of a coronary (heart) artery (thrombosis on top of an old atheroma - you can look these words up)) it will be a primary electrical event - an arrhythmia caused by a slightly weird cell ion channel, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Best of luck to him. I expect he will be fine, now. At risk of another event, but probably preventable (reverse the cardiomyopathy by lowering amounts of exercise, possibly drugs).

Either way, the poor sod will never play again. Lucky for him he's 29 and had a nice career.

So life changing for him, but thankfully hes still alive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tinu malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

In such a population it is random but the probability is increased by hypertrophy (heart elargement). If you are a professional athlete it would be wise to get an ECG from time to time, and even echocardiography which can detect hypertrophy.

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. Do it could be a much rare form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercose will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

So to put it in very simple terms over exercise (and drug use) increases the risk of this happening?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tinu malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. Do it could be a much rare form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercose will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

thanks. you are smart!

i suppose i was mostly wondering if something like this would be picked up in a medical that these professional sportsmen have or if it was a completely random, strike anytime to anyone thing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
..... some science stuff about pipes, chambers and electrics

Best of luck to him. I expect he will be fine, now. At risk of another event, but probably preventable (reverse the cardiomyopathy by lowering amounts of exercise, possibly drugs).

Less exercise and more drugs for me then

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So life changing for him, but thankfully hes still alive.

... maybe. I think, while HWT probably knows what he is talking about, that this is a bit rushed. To a normal person it surely means a change of lifestyle but footballers got the best possibilities to get the best help in the world when it comes to things like that. I hope they find a way for him to continue playing.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tiny malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of arrhythmia (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. So it could be a much rarer form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercise will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

I am so happy that people like you exist. Just makes me feel warm, cosy and safer knowing that someone as smart as you can be on a football site with silly me :) If i ever see you at a game i'd love to get you a beer. Smart people should be celebrated more.

p.s. it's spelt enlargement ;) JOKING

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
thanks. you are smart!

i suppose i was mostly wondering if something like this would be picked up in a medical that these professional sportsmen have or if it was a completely random, strike anytime to anyone thing.

I can’t answer for HWT, but, my problem his hereditary, and I was the first in my family that was found to have it.
It’s from my Mums side, and I have probably had 2 Uncles die from it, although as they died a few years before it was identified, that is only conjecture.
Since my first arrhythmia, and subsequent inquiries, my Mum, my sister, my daughter, a niece, an auntie and 3 cousins have been found to carry the dodgy gene.

One cousin has since died from it.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
... maybe. I think, while HWT probably knows what he is talking about, that this is a bit rushed. To a normal person it surely means a change of lifestyle but footballers got the best possibilities to get the best help in the world when it comes to things like that. I hope they find a way for him to continue playing.

I hope this happens. Even if it is at a lower level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here