NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1403770294574227456[/tweet]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tiny malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of arrhythmia (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

In such a population it is random but the probability is increased by hypertrophy (heart elargement). If you are a professional athlete it would be wise to get an ECG from time to time, and even echocardiography which can detect hypertrophy.

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. So it could be a much rarer form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercise will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

I thought that after Muamba had his ‘ episode’ that all professional players were scanned for Brugada, long QT, etc.
I also understood that it was one of these checks that picked up Connor Goldsons problem, although I know that wasn’t arrhythmia related.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don’t think the players are in the right frame of mind to make decisions like playing a football match right after a horrible situation like that.

But we don’t know all the facts, so I hope the players are okay.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I don’t think the players are in the right frame of mind to make decisions like playing a football match right after a horrible situation like that.

But we don’t know all the facts, so I hope the players are okay.

They all must have feared that he had died, however knowing the amazing recovery already. They must be buzzing, hyped and full of beans. I know i am.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This type of situation? It is very rare. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(abnormal heart enlargement) is common and symptomless in lots of high impact athletes. When it is combined with a tiny malfunction in a cardiac sodium or potassium channel, this increases the risk of arrhythmia (usually torsades de pointes which is like VF) by a tiny amount. But with millions of heart beats a year, a tiny increase in the risk of this lethal event means that it may happen . . . .

In such a population it is random but the probability is increased by hypertrophy (heart elargement). If you are a professional athlete it would be wise to get an ECG from time to time, and even echocardiography which can detect hypertrophy.

I am suprised that Eriksson wasn't tested and a bit surprised it wasn't detected. So it could be a much rarer form of 'channelopathy' which may increase arrhythmia risk with less 'pathological' hypertrophy. All high intensity exercise will make the heart bigger but in most of us this is 'normal' and safe.

Whilst I’m definitely no athlete, I’ve been tested for this.......the ECG at my annual (work) medical showed up some ‘anomalies’ so I go sent for a consultation. Anyway, a few weeks later and after a fairly unpleasant couple of hours in an MRI machine with various tubes and stuff being injected the consultant said it (left ventricular hypertrophy in my case) was down to doing a lot of endurance running and poses little risk. Somewhat spookily I had all the tests 3 years ago and had a letter from the consultant yesterday suggesting he takes another look to make sure things are still ok.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They all must have feared that he had died, however knowing the amazing recovery already. They must be buzzing, hyped and full of beans. I know i am.

This - can’t imagine they would go ahead unless there was 100% agreement in both camps.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
How on earth is this match allowed to resume tonight? As I'd backed Christian Eriksen as top Euro 2020 scorer, I'd also put a tenner on him for first goal this afternoon? So through no fault of my own I've now lost my money.

Gobsmacking and I'm done with the tournament regards to betting. UEFA are not fit to run European football.

Throughout all this I wish Christian Eriksen a full recovery. It's not his fault whatsoever.

I see a 0-0 draw or 1-0 Denmark played out in a sombre mood inevitably.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Given what happened no way are players in right frame of mind to continue playing the game tonight and should not be asked to. This is all about UEFA looking after their own interest, not about the welfare of the players

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yes. He went into ventricular fibrillation. Loss of blood supply means you faint and within 10 seconds you'll be unconscious. You may have a quick panicky convulsion but you generally won't rememember this if you recover. Then you need to get a cardiac output. A defibrillator is best, but a thump to the chest may do it.

Unlike old ******** like me, this won't be a heart attack (acute myocardial ischaemia due to a sudden block of a coronary (heart) artery (thrombosis on top of an old atheroma - you can look these words up)) it will be a primary electrical event - an arrhythmia caused by a slightly weird cell ion channel, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Best of luck to him. I expect he will be fine, now. At risk of another event, but probably preventable (reverse the cardiomyopathy by lowering amounts of exercise, possibly drugs).

Either way, the poor sod will never play again. Lucky for him he's 29 and had a nice career.

Will he need a pace maker after an event like that?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
How on earth is this match allowed to resume tonight? As I'd backed Christian Eriksen as top Euro 2020 scorer, I'd also put a tenner on him for first goal this afternoon? So through no fault of my own I've now lost my money.

Gobsmacking and I'm done with the tournament regards to betting. UEFA are not fit to run European football.

Throughout all this I wish Christian Eriksen a full recovery. It's not his fault whatsoever.

Nice outlook there. Jesus wept.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

FFS. There’s always one.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

It’s not his fault you lost a tenner — he must be so relieved. :mad:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Assuming that's not a joke that's probably in my top 5 "I can't believe someone has actually written that" moments on NSC.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You are a very disturbed human.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Gobsmacking and I'm done with the tournament regards to betting.

Well, that's certainly put things in perspective for me :mad:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I hope this is a wind up ffs (albeit a really shit one)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So to put it in very simple terms over exercise (and drug use) increases the risk of this happening?

Only if you have an inherent problem 'channelopathy' (an electrical problem caused by a mutation that affects a cardiac ion channel) or hypertrophic cardiomypathy (a geneitic mutation that makes heart cells get abnormally large from exercise, as opposed to 'normal' enlarged.

Drug use is another issue entirely. Columbian marching powder can trigger cardiac arrhythmias but I doubt any footballer does enough of that for it to be an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here