Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood signs

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The only thing that is curious about this is the length of the loan period.

Why take a relatively unused/unproven very young striker for just such a short period ?

The questions that this poses are far more interesting than the rest of the bitching on this thread.

:amex::albion1:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The only thing that is curious about this is the length of the loan period.

Why take a relatively unused/unproven very young striker for just such a short period ?

:

This was in the argus the other day...

The Argus revealed earlier this week Albion's plan to circumnavigate the current loan-only restrictions by setting up an innovative deal.

Poyet added: "I would really like to bring someone that is going to be here for many years.

"That is not always a possibility when you are in the middle of November.

"We need to deal with that first, try, and then if it is not possible maybe go for a loan until January."

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Looks a good signing, world cup player, premership striker, young, Gus is building a side not just for this year but for the future. This looks like a permanent move in january.

Some people on here are nether happy.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Chris Wood update

west brom fans reckon it's a "youth" loan - so he can go back and play in west broms youth/reserve team at any time?!! - maybe that's why it's innovative?

I doubt Gus would want one of his first team squad going back to the Midlands to play in some tin pot Ressie game. Very very doubtful

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
With regards to the stats bear in mind 12 of those 18 apps were off the bench. He has 1 goal from 6 starts in the Championship.

Here he is scoring for New Zealand a month ago:

Which also means that he's potentially played some of those games as a 17 year old.

3-4 years younger than Barnes (who's incredibly young still) and whom is in the top 5 striker in League One.

So I'm not sure how he's suppossed to have become prolofic while still learning his craft.

A lot of people don't seem to have much patience or belief in a long term plan.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes, looks a permanent signing in Jan if he impresses. As others have said, there's no sense in taking him on a c6 week loan otherwise.

Why? See how he does then sign him on loan for the rest of the season. Doesn't have to be a permanent signing and seeing what West Brom say about him doubt they would let him go anyway

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
So there is now:

wood
barnes
murray
holroyd
sandaza
adgestein

woods and barnes to start (if hes decent) with murray coming of the bench?
and who would you get rid of in the summer

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A Rovers fan has just been over to my desk saying they've been trying to sign him for 2 years now. He's gutted, especially given tomorrow's fixture.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So there is now:

wood
barnes
murray
holroyd
hart
sandaza
adgestein

woods and barnes to start (if hes decent) with murray coming of the bench?
and who would you get rid of in the summer

4-3-3

Woods in the middle and Barnes and Murray either side of him.

Massive Attack!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Would be suprised if this resulted in a permanent deal in January as he signed a very long contract at WBA and seems to be very much in their future plans. It's probably only short term so both sides can see how it goes and if all agree could be extended.

Why? See how he does then sign him on loan for the rest of the season. Doesn't have to be a permanent signing and seeing what West Brom say about him doubt they would let him go anyway

You could be right, but it just seems rather odd given that we don't seem to be any more in need of a striker now than we have been for the past 3 months. I suppose it could be due to the continued absence of Sandaza.

I must say having read West Brom's press release it does look as if they are expecting to hold onto him. Given what Gus has said about not being a great fan of loans I can't really see the logic behind the signing if it's now with a view to a permanent move.

However in Gus we trust. :bowdown:

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
To all you clairvoyants out there, can you please give me Saturdays lottery numbers. If not then shut up with your stupid predictions about a talented player who has not yet kicked a ball for us.
He left Barnsley by mutual consent, possibly did not suite there style of play. However I am sure that Gus has run his eye over him, and noted that he is slow an over weight, and decided at "that will do nicely".
And to you guys that thought he was a replacement for K K, read the press release 1st.
PS, K K, is not Klu Klux

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Chris Wood update

west brom fans reckon it's a "youth" loan - so he can go back and play in west broms youth/reserve team at any time?!! - maybe that's why it's innovative?

A youth loan is just work experience which only applies to players on youth team contracts. I'm pretty sure he's on a pro deal so it doesn't make much sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here