Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood signs

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
A youth loan is just work experience which only applies to players on youth team contracts. I'm pretty sure he's on a pro deal so it doesn't make much sense.

says youth deal here:

CHRIS Wood has today joined Brighton's promotion push - after being recalled from his loan at Barnsley.

The New Zealand international has linked up with the League One leaders on a youth loan until January 3.

The 18-year-old is eligible to make his debut at home to Bristol Rovers tomorrow and the Seagulls also face Southampton, FC United of Manchester (FA Cup), Colchester, Huddersfield, Notts County, Dagenham, Charlton, Leyton Orient and Exeter during the term of his spell on the South Coast.

After joining Barnsley late September, Wood went on to make four starts and three sub appearances for the Tykes.

Albion's sporting & technical director, Dan Ashworth, said: "Barnsley were happy to keep Woodsy but he wasn't getting as many games as we would have liked.

"Brighton showed an interest and we think this will be a great experience for him.
"Brighton are flying at the top of League One and Woodsy will be working for a good manager in Gus Poyet who has similar playing principles to Roberto Di Matteo."

West Bromwich Albion | News | Latest Headlines | Latest Headlines | Wood swaps Tykes for Seagulls

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
West Brom are saying he came back from Barnsley as they were worried he was not playing in enough games so I wonder if Gus has agreed to make him 1st choice?

A youth loan is just work experience which only applies to players on youth team contracts. I'm pretty sure he's on a pro deal so it doesn't make much sense.

Actually that's not right. It can also refer to contract players that have a "programme of education" in place, and for the youth loan to be legit the player needs to continue to comply with the programme

See the Football League website Temporary Loan Transfers

Last edited:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Looking forward to seeing what the lad can do, he's clearly seen as a good future prospect so lets hope for both us and him, he can find his form here with us while he is here.
In Gus we trust!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Actually that's not right. It can also refer to contract players that have a "programme of education" in place, and for the youth loan to be legit the player needs to continue to comply with the programme

See the Football League website Temporary Loan Transfers

Ah, very interesting.

Contracted players under the age of 20 on the 1st July can go out on Youth Loans too.

You learn something every day!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Great players - players who can perform to a high level of quality in more than one position, in more than one system - are rare in fooball, most of them play at the very top of the league systems.

Almost all the players we have will excel in one position and/or one system. We won't know if any given player will excel with us until they have been given a chance to get used to the system and play in it. As such I find it hard to get excited about most of our signings, until I see them play.

themightyalbion

Mar 28, 2010
Fo heavens sake! Gus has a good eye, in my opinion, for finding and using good young talent for the good of the player, and the club from where they come from....
Give the lad a chance............you may even be suprised!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Potentially very good signing. Looks a bit of a beast who will be a real physical presence, something we haven't had up front. Obviously had a bad time at Barnsley so will be hungry to get his form back. I'd take those Barnsley fans comments with a pinch of salt, after all many on here wrote crap like that about Murray for long enough.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Tis interesting, innit? Plus we only have until next Thursday to make any more (emergency or youth) loans before the close of the next transfer window (assuming I've read it right).

Yeah you have. I'm guessing this is a new thing as I was aware of work experience loans for our youth team players to go and play at Bognor/Lewes etc but never knew it could apply in the football league and to young pros.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Potentially very good signing. Looks a bit of a beast who will be a real physical presence, something we haven't had up front. Obviously had a bad time at Barnsley so will be hungry to get his form back. I'd take those Barnsley fans comments with a pinch of salt, after all many on here wrote crap like that about Murray for long enough.

I think one of the main things it offers us is a plan B. When teams stick everyone behind the ball it can be very hard to play your way through so he'll give us the option of going a little bit more direct if needed.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think one of the main things it offers us is a plan B. When teams stick everyone behind the ball it can be very hard to play your way through so he'll give us the option of going a little bit more direct if needed.

Absolutely Turkey. My only real criticism of us this season is at times we've looked one-dimensional. I'm certain Gus realised that long ago hence his working for this deal.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Fo heavens sake! Gus has a good eye, in my opinion, for finding and using good young talent for the good of the player, and the club from where they come from....
Give the lad a chance............you may even be suprised!

this
and how many thought that Lua-Lua would be the player he is I think it even surprised him, Gus had the good sense to sign Lua-Lua .......why should that change?

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Absolutely Turkey. My only real criticism of us this season is at times we've looked one-dimensional. I'm certain Gus realised that long ago hence his working for this deal.

One of the main reasons for my ever-increasing LOVE for Gus, is his intelligence, and knowing what he wants to do. I'm very confident he will get the player(s) he wants.

In terms of Wood, a very exciting prospect, and with Gus' earlier statement that he's looking at long term players, it does make you wonder if we're after him permanently. I have no doubt in Gus' judgement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is a great signing, and potentially I think we might sign him in January and we are also talking about still getting a Kazenga replacement so we won't be Lualualess for much longer. All good news I think. And as others have said he gives us extra options, so what is there not to like.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
anyone think we'll bag him all season?

if this has been discussed... i'm not sorry. it would mean reading page upon page of you lots' despicable and cretinous drivel :)

A couple of weeks ago we were riding high having scored 12 without reply in four games, and all this talk of "we don't need a 20goal striker, we've got enough goals in our team". Signing a striker for 6-7 weeks seems a little unnecessary, which indicates to me there is definitely a view for something longer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At least it will give us a positive option from the bench which is more than we have at the moment. If Barnes and/or Murray have an off day we are f....d as we have no striker on the bench who could possibly come on and score a goal if needed, and this has shown in recent games against Woking and Hartlepool.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
it would be pretty pointless signing a player like woods on a short term loan, I expect that Barnsley took him on loan with a view to signing permanently and that it hasn't really worked out. 18 yr olds are inconsistent and i think he would find it difficult to displace Murray or Barnes so Gus must have an eye on the future with this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here